Home
Hi folks, I just got this 1899 carbine in 30-30 off gunbroker, this is the auction http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=499093677
I figured it was a neat 30-30 carbine to play around and hunt with. I didn't think about what exact model it was until I picked it up from my ffl yesterday. It looks original(except for the D&T), no refinish, but it doesn't exactly match up with configurations in the Murray book.

[Linked Image]

The SN is 162676, has 20" crowned barrel, and perch belly carbine buttstock, just like a 1899F, but no saddle ring? Could be a Short Rifle, but Murray says 22" barrel and shotgun buttstock only. Curiosity got me investigating and I pulled the buttplate. It is stamped 158785.

[Linked Image]

The buttstock is also stamped 158785, but it has been overstamped. Looking closely, it originally was stamped 152576, which is similar to 162676, the gun's serial number.

[Linked Image]

Forearm is stamped 161149.

What do y'all think this gun was or is?
Buttstock is from a different gun which was an 1899F. Receiver isn't an SRC obviously, but barrel might be. Best I can say is parts gun... But should be fun to shoot!
Much better rig in the bush than the ubiquitous 94. smile Enjoy it ! smile
Pretty rifle, they should have made one like that. I like it, Joe.
MS

You have a PM

Please advise
Well, I'll find out how it shoots tomorrow, can't wait. The K2.5 that came with it was a bit cloudy so I switched it our for a K3 I had laying around. May try it out with the open sights as well.
Looks like an 99H 2 me. Maybe the perch belly was made during the refinish.
Whatever kind of "a little bit of this and a little bit of that" rifle it is if the barrel isn't shot out and it shoots satisfactory groups it will make one hell of a hunting rifle.
Originally Posted by olgrouser
Much better rig in the bush than the ubiquitous 94. smile Enjoy it ! smile

100% agree!. dollar-for-dollar you got a much better rifle!
Butt stock, plate and barrel (rear sight location is for a carbine) are for an 1899-F. All numbered parts are differed serials and pre the receiver, as in leftovers. Might have been an employees rifle.

It would be interesting to see how all those parts would letter.

Winchester made carbines without rings but I don't think we have seen any indication that Savage did other than a possible special order gun.
I guess I'll have to send off for a letter and see what he says. I've never sent off for a letter on a Savage before.

Got a chance for a quick trip to the range this afternoon, looks like it may make a great shooter. Just tried a couple of loads I threw together. The 150gr Hornady RN don't look so good, but I got the barrel pretty hot trying to get it on paper. These are 100yd results.

[Linked Image]

The 170gr Sierras look much better, not too bad for a 100 year old gun and a 3x scope!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire