Home
Posted By: RAS Long Range 99 - 10/04/15
1939 Salesman Sample
Lyman scope blocks on the factory holes
300 Sav
Lyman Super Targetspot 15x with dot ret

Will be trying to see how good I can do at 300.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: RAS Re: Long Range 99 - 10/04/15
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SAcharlie Re: Long Range 99 - 10/04/15
Sure is beautiful. How does that differ from '50s EG?
Posted By: RAS Re: Long Range 99 - 10/04/15
Originally Posted by SAcharlie
Sure is beautiful. How does that differ from '50s EG?

Differences are:

Holes for the scope blocks are factory.
Swivels are factory
Scroll stamping is factory.

EGs dont have the above. Though other than that, the same gun unless I forgot something.

Posted By: saddlering Re: Long Range 99 - 10/04/15
Thats a Very nice Rifle Jeff!
Posted By: Phil99 Re: Long Range 99 - 10/04/15
Never seen one set up like this. That's a great find Jeff. I am eager to hear the range report.

Rod
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Long Range 99 - 10/04/15
That's a great rifle!
Posted By: S99VG Re: Long Range 99 - 10/04/15
That's some rig you got there!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Long Range 99 - 10/04/15
Off the charts cool factor!

*BTW, 300 yards is just getting warmed up Jeff! Stretch it out and let it run!
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Long Range 99 - 10/05/15
Very cool looking. How does that tight eye relief work out when shooting it? Perhaps one of those soft rubber eye cups as found on a lot of target scopes from that era would be in order on this one?

I'm thinking those scope blocks were intended for for the Unertl and/or Fecker Small Game scopes of the 30'-40's, that were shorter, lower power, and longer eye relief than their full tilt higher magnification big brothers. Typically, Targetspots, Feckers, Unertls, etc., had their rear blocks attached to the receiver rings of bolt actions (or just in front of the receiver rings on the barrel), and the front blocks further out on the barrel (7.2" farther forward, in fact, in order to provide exactly 1/4MOA scope adjustment for each click of the rear turrets). Mounting the big scopes like a "conventional" scope often resulted in lacerated eyebrows.

You might also seek out a recoil spring that butts in between the front mount and the stop ring on the scope. Without it, one has to be sure to physically move the scope back into contact with the stop ring after each shot.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Long Range 99 - 10/05/15
The location of the stop ring and no rubber eye guard were the first things I noticed.

Nice rifle! Let us know haw it works. Mine is set up with a Lyman 438 but I have not shot it.
Posted By: RAS Re: Long Range 99 - 10/05/15
Yes, I just got it on yesterday. I have a guard but still need to make some adjustments with the scope. Should be in action very soon.
Posted By: norm99 Re: Long Range 99 - 10/08/15
nice carry handle on that one grin nice overall condition

norm
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Long Range 99 - 10/08/15
Whoever thought of that one was smoking some heavy duty ganga!Your gonna need more than a rubber eyecup. Like a hoodscoop on a '68 Rambler American.
© 24hourcampfire