Home
There have been several discussions in the past about the tire company the Savage's founded after leaving Savage Arms, I had thoughts of getting something from the Savage Tire company to add to my collection, I am rethinking that now - Savage Tire sign To bad it has some minor damage, might actually brought a decent price without that...
Would clash with my rifles. Heck I could pick up a few engraved ones for that kind of coin. GW
Wonder what an actual "Savage Tire" would bring today?
Seems to me I read somewhere where Arthur Savage actually invented the radial ply tire; though he never pursued it and it took decades before the radial became the industry standard.
Originally Posted by S99VG
Seems to me I read somewhere where Arthur Savage actually invented the radial ply tire; though he never pursued it and it took decades before the radial became the industry standard.
I have seen that mentioned a few times but don't think it is correct. Most sources give credit to Michelin inventing them in the 1950's. The Wikipedia also gives credit to Arthur W. Savage and references a tire patent as proof - however that patent is in his son's name, Arthur J. Savage, and it's for a belted bias ply tire and not a radial - the Savage's may have come up with the first belted tire, but it was not a radial. Someone may have read the term 'belted' and assumed it was a radial because the two terms are so often used together.
Ah, so goes the beauty of Wikipedia when anyone can make an addition (please read that with a sufficient degree of sarcasm).
That picture is as close as I will get to owning a sign if that's the kind of money they bring. I have not seen that sign before. Thanks for posting.
Does anyone know if an actual Savage Tire exists??
Would Savage tires come standard on a Savage lawnmower?
In the same vein, will a Savage vibrating belt weight reducer remove the Savage spare tire around my waist?? smile
Now that's funny!
Holy crap, wonder what my envelope would bring, haha.

[Linked Image]
Now that's cool!

I wonder if Arthur threw in a new Model 99 with the purchase of a new set of tires?
I see they make repro's of that sign for around $250, hope the buyer got an authenticity note with that sign if indeed it is an original.
Joe, I know a guy that specializes in "Early American Advertising". I bet he could get you a pretty penny for that one. I let him sell 3 of my old Tobacco Tins. He got me $2100, $950, and $450 for them. Most I found when a kid, and the ones I bought I never paid more than a buck apiece. Check out "Wm Morford Auctions".
All my tobacco tins but one were stolen. frown

But the one I left is full and smells oooooh so good. smile
Originally Posted by mad_dog
I see they make repro's of that sign for around $250, hope the buyer got an authenticity note with that sign if indeed it is an original.

This one @ $550 is described as an "original/reproduction" Savage Tire sign ... so, I guess if you get a reproduction you also have to make sure it's an original reproduction and not a reproduction of a reproduction.
© 24hourcampfire