Home
Posted By: wyo1895 99 book update - 12/10/15
I just contacted Philip Schrier, the National Firearms Museum curator and field editor for the "American Rifleman". He wants me to send a copy of my book for a review in the "Rifleman" as soon as it's available.
Haven't heard anything from the publisher for a month or so. They told me there would be long gaps during the process when I wouldn't hear from them so I guess no news is good news. David
Posted By: Calhoun Re: 99 book update - 12/10/15
It's already being advertised on Amazon for pre-orders.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 12/10/15
Would you believe they ain't told me.
Would you also believe they threatened to send out the hit squad if I let anyone see that cover before they were ready?
Posted By: Calhoun Re: 99 book update - 12/10/15
Well, to protect you I'll go ahead and share it. grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 99 book update - 12/10/15
Dang, I'm ready David! grin
Thanks Rory. I'm not computer savvy enough to do that. I've got to get some business cards made up with that cover photo. David
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: 99 book update - 12/10/15
Looks good!
Posted By: tbear99 Re: 99 book update - 12/10/15
my payment will be sent tomorrow then the anticipated wait.
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: 99 book update - 12/10/15
Was surprised when I seen that about a week ago on Amazon. Heck that cover just makes me want to buy more Savage 1899/99's. Guess I can now blame my enhanced addiction on David now. grin GW
Posted By: BillR Re: 99 book update - 12/10/15
I believe that once the book is out and readily available more and more firearm enthusiasts will appreciate the variations available in the Savage line of lever actions. There will be increased competition for any Savage which hits the market and prices will jump.
BillR
Thanks for all the good words, guys. David
Posted By: gregintenn Re: 99 book update - 12/10/15
If I buy one on Amazon, will it be signed?

I'd like a signed copy if possible.
Posted By: JeffG Re: 99 book update - 12/10/15
Looks great! Can't wait! Advertising to the choir is genius David!
Greg, that's some deal between Schiffer and Amazon that I'm not involved with. I'll of course sign the ones I mail out or sell at gun shows and any copies that someone buys somewhere else and bring to me. The books in the 500 will be numbered 1, 2, 3, etc. to 500 out of 500 with a note that they were in the first 500 I signed. Any others will just be signed without any numbers.
Amazon offers free shipping. I have to pay shipping on the 500 books I'm getting so will charge the $5.00 for books that I mail out. Priority mail is $5.95 but I rounded the shipped price off to $65.00. The ones at the shows will be $59.99.
I've got you on my list for a signed copy.
Prepay is appreciated and will be the first books I send out.
David
Posted By: canuckle Re: 99 book update - 12/10/15
Wow.
I will be buying this for sure!! I sure wish I found this site years ago!!
For you new guys I'm also keeping a list of people who are interested in the book but haven't prepaid. PM me with your email address and real name.
For anyone who wants to prepay send me a check or money order to David Royal, P.O. Box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941 or use paypal to [email protected]. For paypal say it's a friends and family gift so I don't have to pay their fees.
Thanks, David
Posted By: saddlering Re: 99 book update - 12/10/15
Ill get you a check out in the morining! looking forward to your Book!
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: 99 book update - 12/10/15
David, your book should qualify for media mail postage rates. Check it out.
I talked to the cute post mistress a few months ago and she seemed to think priority mail was best. This gives me another excuse to talk to her.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: 99 book update - 12/10/15
PM sent.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 12/12/15
I've been thinking about my numbering system. It'll vary some but I am going to say something like, "Number 49 of the first 500 books sold personally by the author to (your name)". Any suggestions on how to improve on this would be greatly appreciated. David
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 99 book update - 12/12/15
Yeah you can't really be numbering a book #1899 if only 500 were printed. That's been the point I was trying to gently break to you. #1-500 the way I see it.

I've been told I'm simple and clearly don't understand things before.
Posted By: saddlering Re: 99 book update - 12/13/15
#499 to saddlering in lou of #1899 grin check went out on Fri.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 12/13/15
FB2, Maybe I should number it number 1899 of 2000 even though it will be in the first 500 then skip that number if I should be so lucky to sell that many books personally. The same thing would apply to 1895 or any other number in excess of 500. I could give it the actual number then add 1895, 1899, etc. but that would defeat the purpose of numbering it 1899. Unfortunately I can't afford to buy 2000 books. I'm hoping to raise enough money for 500 by March.
saddlering, I'll PM you when your check comes.
I've been thinking about the wording in last night's post. I think it would sound better if I said. "Book number 49 (or whatever) of the first 500 sold personally by the author. Number 49 went to (your name)." Then of course followed by my signature. Thanks Fireball2 for your input. Any more input would be greatly appreciated.
David
Posted By: KeithNyst Re: 99 book update - 12/13/15
David, for those of use that were lucky enough to have reserved one of the numbers of calibers produced by Savage could you write something like:

Book number 375 of the first 500 sold personally by the author. Number 375 was personally assigned and shipped to “Name”in honor of the “xxx” caliber produced by Savage.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 99 book update - 12/13/15
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
David, for those of use lucky enough to reserve one of the numbers of calibers produced by Savage could you write something like:

Book number 375 of the first 500 sold personally by the author. Number 375 was personally assigned and shipped to “Name”in honor of the “xxx” caliber produced by Savage.

Outstanding. I'd love #358 and 375 if Keith doesn't want them! but I'm easy.
Posted By: Sbrown Re: 99 book update - 12/13/15
I'll take whatever is in line next. As Roy said "I'm easy"
eek

Thanks,
Steve
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: 99 book update - 12/13/15
Remember John Hoeck Tendoy. Pre paid a while back # 88 please. Thanks.
The calibers taken are: 308, 219 (I know), 25 for 25-35, 358, 375, 22, 250, 303, 300 and 284. That leaves 32, 38, 243, and 410. 22 and 7 are taken so I can't do anything with 22-250 or 7mm-08. Steve, how about 32 for 32-40 or 243?
FB2, 358 and 375 are taken.
Keith, I'll do what you suggested with the caliber #'s and add at the end after ...produced by Savage "... in the Model 99.
Angus, I got your check and deposited but didn't PM you because I didn't put your real name together with "Angus". You're covered now with #88.
David
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 99 book update - 12/13/15
PM sent.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 99 book update - 12/13/15
Are you saving a copy for your Pinedale neighbor, Larry Root?
Posted By: Plab Re: 99 book update - 12/13/15
David, sounds great to me

thanks Plab
Just whatever for ol Fireball. grin
Posted By: Dale K Re: 99 book update - 12/13/15
How about "Pay to the order of (Purchasers Name), (Book Number) dollars" and then (Authors Name)

grin

Dale
If he's the Larry I'm thinking of I haven't seen him in a while. I never knew his last name. Seems like he told me he'd sold all his Savage 99's.
I'll have to think of something special for you, Fireball.
David, not at all bud, just super happy to have your knowledge in the book! Sure we're buying them, but you earned it and we're all happy you did put it together.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 99 book update - 12/14/15
I pre-ordered one on Amazon.
Posted By: ilikemilitaria Re: 99 book update - 12/14/15
$$$ headed your way for mine David.

dave
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 12/14/15
Thanks guys. I am planning to do book signings at the following collectors gun shows in 2016:
May 7 and 8. Ohio Gun Collectors Association show, Roberts Center, Wilmington, Oh
May 21 and 22. Colorado Gun Collectors Association show, Denver Mart, Denver
May 28 and 29, Wyoming Weapons Collectors Gun Show, Fremont Center, Lander, Wy
July 29 - 31, Missouri Valley Arms Collectors Association show, KCI Expo Center, Kansas City, Mo.
October 8 and 9, Utah Gun Collectors Association, Weber County Fairgrounds, Ogden, Ut
December 17 and 18, South Carolina Arms Collectors Association, TD Convention Center, Greenville, S.C.
This is a tentative list. I may add others later.
I'll sign books at these shows that people bought elsewhere but they won't be numbered. Quite a few gun show book dealers will be selling my book.
David
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 99 book update - 12/14/15
David, the only obstacle I see to you selling that nicely done book out instantly is the price. Anything in the $30 range would be a great deal for collectors, a giveaway really, but would also be a "Sure why not" price for casual shooters. $60 or so will thin the ranks to us hardcores. Not complaining, just talking out loud. I'm sure you're doing what needs to be done to be successful and that's the way it is. I'm just hoping your book sells much higher numbers than your 500 initial run. On the other hand, sales of only 500 would make your book highly collectible, and we're all about that too!

We can't lose, anyway you slice it, I can't wait to read it cover to cover.
Posted By: Sbrown Re: 99 book update - 12/14/15
Originally Posted by wyo1895
Thanks guys. I am planning to do book signings at the following collectors gun shows in 2016:
May 7 and 8. Ohio Gun Collectors Association show, Roberts Center, Wilmington, Oh
July 29 - 31, Missouri Valley Arms Collectors Association show, KCI Expo Center, Kansas City, Mo.
October 8 and 9, Utah Gun Collectors Association, Weber County Fairgrounds, Ogden, Ut
December 17 and 18, South Carolina Arms Collectors Association, TD Convention Center, Greenville, S.C.

I'll sign books at these shows that people bought elsewhere but they won't be numbered. Quite a few gun show book dealers will be selling my book.
David

Maybe, if I remember a year from now. I'll see you at the SC show as before. crazy
Also, my funds are on the way to you.
I'd like 18 if it's not reserved.

Best regards,
Steve
Steve, 18 is reserved for a guy I met at the Ogden gun show in Oct. He had picked out several numbers including 18 and said he would pay for them shortly. I haven't heard anything more from him so 18 may come available.
I missed all the SCACA shows this past Winter due to needing trailer space to bring household goods from the house we moved out of in Georgia. We will visit my family in Georgia next Christmas and attend the Greenville show. I may not drive. If so, I won't be able to bring my display but will have books shipped there for sale at the show. There's a lot of good people at that show and I really missed going there this year.
How about a backup number in the 20's or 243?
David
Posted By: Southern_WI_Savage Re: 99 book update - 12/14/15
Added potential place holder...

August - TBD Savage Fest grin
September - TBD Savage Fest

David
Posted By: Sbrown Re: 99 book update - 12/14/15
David
243 Works for me.
Many thanks
Steve
I had been wondering about Savage Fest 2016. I'll be there with a bunch of books! The books sold there will have a special inscription mentioning Savage Fest 2016. Do you have a location yet? If it's in the midwest first weekend in August would work great. I'll already be more than half way there for the Missouri show the weekend before. David
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: 99 book update - 12/14/15
David, you have a bunch of friends over here on the East Side, and nice little group in MD. Maybe I can get a couple together to make a road trip to Ohio? I'd also jump at a chance to talk to Steve, Sbrown, so maybe we could swing down through NC, to the SC show. If it's OK I'll get the payment out for the 2 books I ordered the day after Christmas. My Mom always gives me $100, and my in laws always give each of their 4 kids $1000 and each spouse $1000. This year is the first year in 32 years I get to keep my $1000. No college, no carpet, no tile bathrooms. That's only a couple weeks, Joe.
It would be great to see you guys at either or both places and Savage Fest too. I would like to go to a collector's show further North than South Carolina on the East coast but don't feel safe taking them through New York or Massachusetts.
Posted By: olgrouser Re: 99 book update - 12/14/15
If a potential Fest is held up in the Maine or New Hampshire region wink wink I can boot on over from the Miramichi place. smile
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 12/15/15
I made a mistake on my book signing schedule, The Wyoming collectors show is in Riverton.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 12/15/15
Rick R., I tried to PM you that your check had arrived but it keeps saying user not found. I used Southern_WI_Savage. Is that right? David
Posted By: Southern_WI_Savage Re: 99 book update - 12/15/15
Rick R., I tried to PM you that your check had arrived but it keeps saying user not found. I used Southern_WI_Savage. Is that right? David

No changes here. Typo? All's well that ends well.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 12/16/15
The Barnes & Noble website is also offering the book for pre-order. Rory, are you able to email me the image from your Dec 10 post? [email protected]. The Utah Gun Collector's newsletter printed the picture of the book's cover in their Dec issue so it's available somehow that escapes my limited internet abilities. Thanks, David
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 12/16/15
Was able to enlarge (but not copy) Barnes & Noble's image or the book's cover. That shadowy rifle just under the title is Fug1899's 1895 musket.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 12/23/15
Guys, got some checks today. I need your campfire alias and a legible name and USPS address. The one I can't read clearly looks like D Mathis in Il.
Things are going along well with the book. I talked to Schiffer's marketer yesterday. I can release a few pics now. We've got an on-line newspaper here in Pinedale called pinedaleonline.com. An article on the book will be out in a few days with some pics from the book. Thanks, David
Posted By: ilikemilitaria Re: 99 book update - 12/24/15
Guys, got some checks today. I need your campfire alias and a legible name and USPS address. The one I can't read clearly looks like D Mathis in Il.
Things are going along well with the book. I talked to Schiffer's marketer yesterday. I can release a few pics now. We've got an on-line newspaper here in Pinedale called pinedaleonline.com. An article on the book will be out in a few days with some pics from the book. Thanks, David

David, that is me, D.Mathis in Illinois. I'll pm ya..

dave
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 12/24/15
Got the PM, thanks, David
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 12/29/15
Got an email from my editor today, they're in the design stage. I think that's where they fit all the pics into the text to minimize wasted space but still keep the pics close to the relevant text.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 01/05/16
I got the layout copy of the book yesterday. It looks good. They used a lot of Savage red for chapter headings and other lettering that needs to stand out. They used one of Gary's vintage photos on the first page of each chapter.
I won't be able to finish reviewing it until next week. I'm getting ready to go to the Utah Gun Collector Association gun show this weekend. I'm building a display to go behind my sales table to help promote book sales. It will contain some of the rifles that appear in the book.
Anyone who is around Ogden this weekend come by to visit.

David
Posted By: Plab Re: 99 book update - 01/05/16
I'm on my way over....... I wish I could. it's a long drive from Maine .. thanks for update David

plab
Posted By: tbear99 Re: 99 book update - 01/06/16
Originally Posted by Plab
I'm on my way over....... I wish I could. it's a long drive from Maine .. thanks for update David

plab

Don't forget to pick up your friends in upstate ny on the way. Winter finally came good time for road trip

thanks for update david
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 01/06/16
This is gonna be great, having all you guys from the East at Ogden.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 01/14/16
I just spent the last 4 days revising the rough layout of the book. It is now back in the hands of the editor.
From 1/1 through 1/7 I built a booth to use to promote the book at gunshows. I gave it a trial run at the Ogden show 8, 9, 10. This is a pic with it setup at Ogden.
[Linked Image]
The 99's are personal ones that appear in the book. I tried to place them staggered but they wouldn't stay in place. I have to revise that. The stand is free standing and is a prototype for my new gunshow stands. David
Posted By: Calhoun Re: 99 book update - 01/14/16
Looks very nice. Stable enough?
Posted By: Savageupnorth Re: 99 book update - 01/14/16
Nice display. Hope you sold a bunch of books!
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 01/14/16
It's on 6 wheels, 4 of which lock, I also put retractable landing gear on the back which I put down once it's in place.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: 99 book update - 01/14/16
Looking good! grin
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 01/15/16
Our local on line newspaper, pinedaleonline.com has an article about the book. It includes some pages reprinted from the rough layout copy of the book. David
Posted By: tbear99 Re: 99 book update - 01/15/16
looks good how you do at ogden looks like should of attracted some attention
Posted By: Southern_WI_Savage Re: 99 book update - 01/15/16
Our local on line newspaper, pinedaleonline.com has an article about the book. It includes some pages reprinted from the rough layout copy of the book. David

http://www.pinedaleonline.com/news/2016/01/NewbookaboutSavage99.htm

Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 01/15/16
Got a lot of attention at Ogden. One of the judges even tried to judge it.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: 99 book update - 01/15/16
Great article!
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 01/18/16
I won't go into the hoops I've been jumping through with the layout revisions.
They have moved back the delivery date until some time in May. I raised hell because I need books for the Ohio Gun Collectors Association show May 8 and 9. They are now saying maybe they can get books to me by then. They are putting me between a rock and a hard place because I don't want spend the money and time to go to Ohio if I don't have books. I can't trust them to deliver the books considering all the other broken promises. The Ohio people bent over backwards to get me a membership which is required to display at their show. I hate to cancel on them.
I am also thinking they may not get books to me in time for the Colorado Gun Collector's Association show in Denver May 22 and 23. If I don't get to sell books at these shows I will miss my two best gun show opportunities this year. The book will be old news by 2017. For these reasons I may cut back my order to 250 at first. I will still number them X through 500 and hope they sell well enough for me to order the second 250 copies. Amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com have already discounted the price which will further hurt my sales. I have no idea when I'll have books to send out to people who have prepaid. If anyone who has prepaid wants their money back PM me.
Your thoughts on this dilemma would be greatly appreciated. David
Posted By: saddlering Re: 99 book update - 01/18/16
Im good, you would think they would let you sell some before they ship to the big outfits, and have the price locked for at least the 1st 6months, but I know nothing about the process, wishing you luck! Best John
Posted By: TomA Re: 99 book update - 01/18/16
David, I am fine with getting my 2 copies whenever. When things are out of your control there is not much you can do. Best of luck getting the copies you need for the shows, Tom.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 01/18/16
Thanks guys. I almost feel like they don't want me selling the books myself. Maybe they think it cuts into the big guy's sales but I think just the opposite. The books I sell will get shown to other people who don't get to contact me and they will go to amazon or b&n. David
Posted By: 21 Re: 99 book update - 01/18/16
Methinks this is just about the norm to get something published. Keep your chin up and it will all work out. As for the book being old news by 2017, I wouldn't worry---Murrays' is being sold all the time and it's not just one year old.
Posted By: riflegunbuilder Re: 99 book update - 01/18/16
David, sorry for your struggles. I'm still excited about getting a copy from you.
Posted By: Sbrown Re: 99 book update - 01/19/16
Good luck David with the issues being forced upon you!

Steve
Posted By: Rakkasan Re: 99 book update - 01/19/16
I still want mine...

...from YOU!

Posted By: BillR Re: 99 book update - 01/19/16
Adding the mailing address for ordering books on this thread would likely be a good idea. Have to order mine soon as Canadian dollar is in freefall ... a $65 US International money order will be over $100 CAN with exchange and fees.
BillR
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 01/19/16
Mailing address is: David Royal, P.O. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941.
Posted By: Loggah Re: 99 book update - 01/19/16
David, Keep your chin up,dealing with people in general is a P.I.T.A. im sure all will be fine in the long run. Tell your publishers to smarten up or you will have them printed in Canada for half price !!!!! smile
Posted By: GreenHornet47 Re: 99 book update - 01/20/16
PM sent
Posted By: johnsavage Re: 99 book update - 01/20/16
PM sent.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 01/21/16
I'm up to my butt in alligators over this book revising again. I've gotten a few checks but won't have time to PM the guys who sent them until I get this done and sent back to Schiffer. Hopefully before the end of the day. David
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 01/21/16
Revision #4 along with the numbered index which I had to do manually is off. We're getting real close to where it is out of my hands.
Posted By: Rakkasan Re: 99 book update - 01/22/16
I have no idea when I'll have books to send out to people who have prepaid. If anyone who has prepaid wants their money back PM me.
Your thoughts on this dilemma would be greatly appreciated. David

Relax David. Some of us are patiently waiting on some newly made copies of Stith mounts from a member here that were ordered (and paid for) many years ago...
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 01/22/16
The editor emailed me yesterday that the book is on the way to the printer and that I can rest assured I'll have books by the Ohio show May 8 & 9. "Trust me," the used car salesman said. David
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 99 book update - 01/22/16
Originally Posted by Rakkasan
Some of us are patiently waiting on some newly made copies of Stith mounts from a member here that were ordered (and paid for) many years ago...

That's why you never pre-pay for a product not even made yet.
Posted By: redsbow Re: 99 book update - 01/23/16

My check will be in the mail on Monday...Hopefully I'll be in the first 500..
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 01/23/16
I appreciate the trust a lot of people have put in me. Hopefully the books will be out in early May. Thanks, David
Posted By: johnsavage Re: 99 book update - 01/25/16
My check went out today. Can't wait to read the book.
John
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 01/25/16
Thanks John, I have asked the marketing people for permission to post a few pages from the third layout revision. Will post them if and when I get permission. I'll PM you when your check comes in. David
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 01/31/16
Got the pics of a couple of pages of the book. They sent it JPG so I had to print and photograph it in order to get it on photo bucket. The 1895 carbine in the photos is Fug's. He's credited on the previous page.
[Linked Image]
They think they might have copies to me in early May. I'm probably going to scrap going to the Ohio show.
David
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: 99 book update - 01/31/16
Pics look great. Sorry to hear about Ohio. If you do go make sure you let us know, Joe.
I hate for them to hold tables for me to the last minute and then I cancel because I don't have books. They'll probably be stuck with empty tables that way. I think I'd better make a decision in the next few days since I don't think I'll know anything from my publisher before late April if then. David
Posted By: 1899guy Re: 99 book update - 01/31/16
How can I go about purchasing one of these books?
Thanks,
Bob
Posted By: saddlering Re: 99 book update - 01/31/16
I like the looks of the book David, Iv got to hold that same rifle! Did you get to see Fugs engraved src? Got to shoot that one!
1899guy, send a check to: David Royal, P.O. Box 1721, Pinedale, Wy., 82941, for $65.00. That will cover the price of the book and priority mail shipping. I'll sign and number the book as being one of the 500 I distributed. You can also send me the $65 by paypal to [email protected] and say it's for friends and family so I don't have to pay the fees, or you can order it from Schifferbooks.com, amazon.com or Barnesandnoble.com. Look under Savage 99 in the search engine. The later two are offering it at a discount for pre-orders. The book will hopefully be available some time in May.
Saddlering, I can't specially remember the engraved SRC. My mind got a little boggled by the number of Savages when I was at Fug's house.
The pic of the four receivers in the 1895 receiver parts post is an example of the kind of comparison photos that appear in the book.
David
Posted By: 1899guy Re: 99 book update - 02/07/16
I just now ordered it on Amazon.
Really looking forward to this.
I did not see, is this hard cover?
If not, I sure would be willing to pay a premium for a hard cover version. Real collectors piece.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 02/07/16
It's hardcover.
I've enclosed a photo of pages 18 & 19. They sent it in a PDF file so I had to print it and then photograph the print. It looks much better in real life. Photobucket can't take PDF's.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 99 book update - 02/07/16
Very handsome David!
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 02/24/16
Haven't heard anything from the publisher since late Jan. when they promised me copies by early May. Amazon and B&N are saying it will be available May 28 from them. David
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 03/01/16
Wife just came in with the mail. Would you believe it contained the preliminary copy of the book and a bottle of Pennsylvania wine? They sent the wine so I could celebrate. The book looks real good. Pics are clearer than the ones in the PDF layout files. In fact they are outstanding. The letter says that the copies that I order will be delivered in 6 to 8 weeks and that I can order them at any time.
I'll have it at the Utah Gun Collector Association show at the Weber County Fairgrounds in Ogden, Utah, this weekend if anyone wants to see it up close and personal. David
Posted By: olgrouser Re: 99 book update - 03/01/16
Congratulations!

Cheers!

Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 03/01/16
I figured you guys would like to see a pic of the wine.
[Linked Image]

David
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: 99 book update - 03/01/16
CONGRATULATIONS!! Nothing like having the fruit of your labor in hand.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: 99 book update - 03/02/16
Good for you, David.
Posted By: BradD Re: 99 book update - 03/02/16
Looks Great. Congratulations! I'm looking forward to reading it.

Brad
Posted By: saddlering Re: 99 book update - 03/02/16
NICE!
Posted By: Poconojack Re: 99 book update - 03/02/16
Congratulations, looks very nice. Schiffer's photography has always been outstanding....
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: 99 book update - 03/02/16
HIP HIP HOORAY, just in time for my Birthday. Now I know what to tell the kids to get me. Thanks David, for all of your hard work, Joe.
Posted By: Jaaack Re: 99 book update - 03/02/16
How are you going to shoot that 99 with the tie wrap on it?

Congratulations, David.

Can't wait to get my copy.

Jack
Posted By: Calhoun Re: 99 book update - 03/02/16
Congrats!
Posted By: Loggah Re: 99 book update - 03/02/16
Nice !!!
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 03/02/16
That's a 1929 vintage 99A 30-30 that I display at gun shows. For some reason they want ties on them. They're already tied to the display stand so I don't know why they need the lever tied too. Now I remember, one show promoter said someone could chamber a round and shoot a hole in the roof.
I'm up to my butt in alligators getting ready for the show this weekend. I built new stands and had to redo everything else to match. I'll post more photos of the book next week.
David
Posted By: Plab Re: 99 book update - 03/02/16
Congrats David it's good to see the progress on your book.

plab
Posted By: norm99 Re: 99 book update - 03/03/16
congrats and thanks for the update

norm
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: 99 book update - 03/03/16
GREAT to hear from you, Norm. Nancy and I have been thinking of you.
Posted By: Phil99 Re: 99 book update - 03/03/16
The wheels grind slowly, but progress does occur. Congratulations David!

Rod
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 03/04/16
I finally got the 99 display finished last night and loaded for the Ogden show so had time this morning to look the book over. I haven't found any errors so far. I looks real pretty. Will take some photos at the first opportunity and post them. David
Posted By: Shortgrub Re: 99 book update - 03/05/16
Keep me in the loop for one when they are available. Looking forward to reading it.

Shortgrub
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 03/08/16
I thought you guys would like to see some pics of the book. Savage #1. I shot these photos at the Julia auction in March 2013.
[Linked Image]
I put barrel addresses and miscellaneous stuff at the end of each chapter. The reloading stuff is for an 1895. I got it from Blair.
[Linked Image]
A page from Chapter 3
[Linked Image]
I included pics of Enock Tue's engraving
[Linked Image]
A page from Chapter 4
[Linked Image]
More pics.
Rick's 99H's in ch. 5 and the beginning of the 99K section
[Linked Image]
Gary provided some of his vintage pics. The publisher used one at the beginning of each chapter. 17 of them appear in appendix D.
[Linked Image]
A page from Ch. 7, the modern stuff.
[Linked Image]
Ch. 8 covers the interview w. Ronald Coburn, his rifles, why he had to discontinue the 99 and my final comments.
The lovely lady is Ron's wife Barbara.
[Linked Image]
David
Posted By: Calhoun Re: 99 book update - 03/08/16
Very impressive!
Posted By: 300Savage303 Re: 99 book update - 03/08/16
David the book looks great. Can't wait to receive it.
George
Posted By: RandySavage99 Re: 99 book update - 03/08/16
Looks awesome!!! Look forward to receiving my copy.
The bad news is that the book doesn't fit the $5.95 envelope. I went to the U.S.P.O. and here is what I found out. YOU GUYS WHO ARE PREPAID ARE GOOD TO GO. I'LL EAT THE DIFFERENCE. The 12 1/2 X 19 Priority Mail shipping for one book is $7.35 and the envelope costs $2.59. I'll have to charge $69.00 for priority mail for one book. It's an extra $2.50 for 2 books. I'll charge $131.00 for 2 books. The book rate is $3.72 so I'll charge $63.00 for one. It'll take longer for you to get your book.
Then we go to medium flat rate boxes for 3 or 4 books. They are $13.45 so 3 books will be 3x$60 plus 13.45 = $193.45.. I'll ship 3 for $190.00 and 4 for $250.
For 5 or more books it will take a large flat rate box which is $18.75. I'll add $14.00 to whatever the price is for the number of books for this quantity. I'm not happy about this. I had hoped that we could keep it simple with one rate for shipping. Again you guys who have already paid don't owe any more.
It looks like 1st class to Canada is $24.50 and New Zealand/Australia is $33.50. But it may be more or less. We won't know until I take the package in to the P.O. If it's less I'll send a refund with the book. If it's more I'll eat the difference.

NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS!!! BIG DRUM ROLL!!!

I talked to my editor this morning and they expect the truck to arrive at the publishers with the books tomorrow or Friday at the latest!!!
I've prepaid for 200 books and they will ship them within a few days of receiving them. They estimate 4 days shipping time from Pa. to Wy. and said I may have them by next Friday.
Anyone wanting to prepay please use the above rates and send a check to: David Royal, P.O. Box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941 or paypal to [email protected]. Please send it to a friend so I don't have to pay the fee and contribute money to paypal's anti-gun agenda.
Thanks, David
Posted By: gregintenn Re: 99 book update - 03/08/16
Awesome!!!!!
Posted By: Rick99 Re: 99 book update - 03/08/16
Great to see all those hours of hard work turn into a super book! You're a work horse David...well done. smile
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 99 book update - 03/08/16
I told David to go ahead and mail my book via media mail (book rate). It's a lot cheaper than Priority Mail, and only takes a day or two longer to get there. Any way to beat the PO at their own game works for me, and softens the postage blow they delivered David.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: 99 book update - 03/08/16
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I told David to go ahead and mail my book via media mail (book rate). It's a lot cheaper than Priority Mail, and only takes a day or two longer to get there. Any way to beat the PO at their own game works for me, and softens the postage blow they delivered David.

Sounds good to me. I'll be you'll find most here would agree.
Posted By: ilikemilitaria Re: 99 book update - 03/08/16
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Sounds good to me. I'll be you'll find most here would agree.

Agreed! Looking forward to this book! smile

dave
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 99 book update - 03/08/16
$131 coming your way for two books.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 03/09/16
Thanks Fireball,
Johno decided to give up #1895. If anyone wants it PM me. David
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 99 book update - 03/09/16
Are they still going to sell on Amazon?
amazon and B&N are both still carrying it at a discount. B&N gives a delivery date of May 28th. amazon doesn't give a delivery date.
Posted By: TomA Re: 99 book update - 03/09/16
PM sent on #1895, Tom.
Posted By: Blitz Re: 99 book update - 03/09/16
You can send mine book rate also.
Posted By: saddlering Re: 99 book update - 03/09/16
Yup ship what ever is best for you David!
Posted By: TomA Re: 99 book update - 03/09/16
Ship my 2 copies whatever is cheapest for you. Tom
Posted By: Jaaack Re: 99 book update - 03/09/16
David,

Media mail is good for me too.

Jack
Thanks guys,
The marketing lady from Schiffer confirmed that the books would be in to them this week and that they would be shipped out as soon as they get them checked in and sorted or whatever.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 99 book update - 03/09/16
Want me to drive up there and get them for you? Of course, I might get arrested for blocking traffic when I stop the truck, put my feet up, and start reading... grin
Posted By: Bushmaster1313 Re: 99 book update - 03/09/16
It would be great to see you guys at either or both places and Savage Fest too. I would like to go to a collector's show further North than South Carolina on the East coast but don't feel safe taking them through New York or Massachusetts.

Now they are confiscating gun books too?!?
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 99 book update - 03/10/16
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313

Now they are confiscating gun books too?!?

Now Bushy, you know better than that...

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Sbrown Re: 99 book update - 03/10/16
David,
Mail mine the cheapest way. No use spending your money out of pocket. If I owe you more let me know.

Thanks for all the hard work
Steve

If you go back to South Carolina let me know.
Posted By: 1899guy Re: 99 book update - 03/10/16
I ordered my copy on Amazon about a month ago.
Looking forward to this book!
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 03/12/16
No word from the publisher as to whether they received the books this week. The shipping department has to let me know when they ship them to me. Hopefully it'll be Monday.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 03/14/16
The books will be shipped from the publisher by FedEx today. I should have them Friday and have all the prepaid on their way next Monday. David
Posted By: 99trix Re: 99 book update - 03/14/16
I am so looking forward to the fruits of your labor! I know this book has been a tremendous undertaking! I hope you do very well with it David!

Blair
Posted By: 21 Re: 99 book update - 03/14/16
I don't know if the final shipping charge will change again due to something unexpected, but if you'll enclose what more I owe you in a message with the books( I'm prepaid) I will gladly send you the difference, as I'm certain most everyone here would. I appreciate your effort with this project and don't want you to come up short. Regards, 21
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 03/14/16
Guys, I'm OK with the few dollars extra the shipping is going to cost.
I got an email saying they shipped this afternoon.
David
Posted By: bigolddave Re: 99 book update - 03/14/16
Feel free to ship mine book rate

bigolddave
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 99 book update - 03/14/16
I guess y'all will be burning the midnight oil licking stamps.
Posted By: jim52 Re: 99 book update - 03/15/16
Cheapest postage rate fine for me David.
Posted By: riflegunbuilder Re: 99 book update - 03/15/16
Ship mine whichever way is the cheapest for you as well. Walton
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 03/15/16
Thanks, Guys, David
Posted By: labsandelk Re: 99 book update - 03/15/16
David
Please ship my books the least expensive way and easiest for you.
I am mailing a check for a 2nd book.
Thanks for all the research and work you have done.
Phil
Posted By: Dale K Re: 99 book update - 03/15/16
Put me in the cheap shipping column too.

Dale
Posted By: griz Re: 99 book update - 03/16/16
David...that couple bucks per book can mount up pretty fast. Please ship mine whatever is the cheapest way for you.

Tom
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 03/16/16
Thanks guys,
The books were in Cozad,Ne., a few minutes ago so there're still looking good for Fri. delivery. We've had quit a bit of snow but things look good along the I80 corridor so I don't think they'll get delayed. I've got a bad case of the flu but should be able to work on them this weekend. David
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 99 book update - 03/16/16
Don't hurry, rest and recover. If it's what's going around here, it's a violent sucker.
Posted By: 1899guy Re: 99 book update - 03/16/16
David,
I purchased my book on Amazon a few months back.
Any idea when that would arrive? Do you receive them and then ship, or will those ship a different way?
Thanks for your efforts on this book. Looking forward to it!
Bob
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 03/16/16
Bob, The only books that come to me are the ones I buy for resale. I imagine Amazon gets theirs directly from the printer.
Posted By: RandySavage99 Re: 99 book update - 03/16/16
David,

I'm fine with Media Mail, also.
Posted By: 1899guy Re: 99 book update - 03/17/16
Are you saying that the printer is selling your books to Amazon and bypassing you without your permission, and selling your books without your permission? Or, is the printer acting as a wholesaler/distributor on your behalf, via Amazon?
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: 99 book update - 03/17/16
Send mine cheap. Or bring it when you come and visit salmon.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 03/17/16
It was a guess on my part. It just seems that the most efficient way to handle the books would be for the printer to send the books to Amazon as opposed to sending them to Schiffer and Schiffer forwarding them to Amazon. It's in my contract that Schiffer will distribute the books. I'll still get my cut from the books Amazon sells. David
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 03/17/16
Amazon and Barnes & Noble are still saying their delivery date is May 28.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 03/19/16
The shipment of books arrived yesterday. I sent a few off at the post office this morning and am working on the other prepaids.
Posted By: Plab Re: 99 book update - 03/19/16
that's great David. I'll be watching for the mail man.

thanks, Paul
Posted By: thame Re: 99 book update - 03/19/16
long time lurker, 1st time post...i pre-ordered the book thru barnes & noble a while back, and got my copy today! The book is fantastic!!! thank you David, i will have to get some pics of my 99's up on here soon, thanks again,Tom
Posted By: norm99 Re: 99 book update - 03/19/16
Originally Posted by thame
long time lurker, 1st time post...i pre-ordered the book thru barnes & noble a while back, and got my copy today! The book is fantastic!!! thank you David, i will have to get some pics of my 99's up on here soon, thanks again,Tom

SO there you go David, Barnes + nobel May 28 NOT,

norm
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 03/20/16
Amazon has probably already sent theirs out too.
Glad you like the book Tom.
I'm working on signing and addressing the books and will get most of them out tomorrow. I have questions on a few and will be sending PM's to the appropriate people.
David
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 99 book update - 03/20/16
Amazon has probably already sent theirs out too.
Glad you like the book Tom.
I'm working on signing and addressing the books and will get most of them out tomorrow. I have questions on a few and will be sending PM's to the appropriate people.
David

David, if you haven't boxed mine yet, one can be signed "To John". For my good buddy. No big deal either way.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 99 book update - 03/20/16
Mine hasn't shipped from Amazon yet.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 03/20/16
I guess Barnes & Noble is the winner.
I got almost all the prepaid books signed, boxed and addressed. They'll go out tomorrow.
David
Posted By: ilikemilitaria Re: 99 book update - 03/20/16
...I got almost all the prepaid books signed, boxed and addressed. They'll go out tomorrow.
David

Sweeeeet!

dave
Posted By: Loggah Re: 99 book update - 03/21/16
It will be just like Christmas in March!! thanks David ! grin
Posted By: ROMAC Re: 99 book update - 03/21/16
Looking forward to getting it!
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 03/21/16
About 80 books went out today. There'll be a few more tomorrow. I got some checks today but they're in the wife's purse and she isn't here. Will let you who sent them tomorrow. David
Posted By: Plab Re: 99 book update - 03/22/16
oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy !!!

thanks David

plab
Posted By: KeithNyst Re: 99 book update - 03/22/16
Mine arrived today! Exceeds my highest expectations .. Great job David! Guess mail to Minnesota from Wyoming is a lot quicker than to the east coast ;-).
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 03/23/16
Great, I didn't think anyone would get their book this soon. David
Posted By: Savage99F358 Re: 99 book update - 03/23/16
Received my Savage 99 book this morning. At first glance, very pleased. Very well done David.

Thank you,
Savage99F358
Posted By: Plab Re: 99 book update - 03/23/16
the mailman just dropped off my copies David

wow it's great !

thanks Paul
Posted By: cmhjohn Re: 99 book update - 03/23/16
Thanks David,
Can't put it down!
Posted By: Savageupnorth Re: 99 book update - 03/23/16
David, now that you're into sending out the books, does $63 for book rate mail and $69 for priority mail work out good for you? If not, what does it cost? I figured I'd wait till
you got past the first deluge of orders to order mine.
thanks,
Bruce
Posted By: Sbrown Re: 99 book update - 03/23/16
Received mine today. Have had only a chance to thumb through. Beautiful book!! Outstanding photography!!
I'm sure a lot of blood, sweat, and tears took place to finally make this happen.
Congratulations David!! Could not be more happy for you and my signed copy.

Best-
Steve
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 99 book update - 03/23/16
I got mine today and can't wait to settle into a comfortable chair with a nice cup of tea to take a good look at it.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 99 book update - 03/23/16
My two arrived intact. Can't wait to read... Thanks David!
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 03/23/16
$63 book rate and $69 priority works for the U.S. First class mail to Canada for one book is $24.50.
I'm glad you guys are enjoying the book. I really enjoyed writing it. Thanks, David
Posted By: Rick99 Re: 99 book update - 03/23/16
Found mine in the mail box on the way back from the grocery store. I put the milk in the fridge. Everything else can wait... grin

Thanks David!
Posted By: Southern_WI_Savage Re: 99 book update - 03/23/16
I am not making this up.
2 books arrived in my mail today. Doug Murray's First Edition 1976 and David Royal's First Edition 2016. 40 years!
I quickly paged thru David's book. Speechless.
Thanks to David for pulling it together and thanks everyone here and elsewhere who took the time to contribute. Truly something to be proud of. cool
Posted By: 300Savage303 Re: 99 book update - 03/23/16
David, Receive your book today. You did a fabulous job on it.
Thanks George
Posted By: Rakkasan Re: 99 book update - 03/24/16
David,

I got mine yesterday! Thank you very much!

The mailman left it on the porch. I guess I need a bigger mailbox. Unknown to me, my neighbor's dogs are Savage lovers too! They opened the package before I got there. mad Dust jacket trashed. A few small tooth marks in the cover. Thankfully the inside is undamaged. Being a "dog guy", I know that things that have been chewed are likely to be chewed again, so I read it this morning. Cover to cover.

The silver lining: My copy of Doug Murray's "The 99" has also been dog chewed (my dogs, years ago) so I now have a "matched set"!

Anxiously awaiting the next book as I have a weakness for carved stocks. Maybe I'll let the dogs...no.

Posted By: tbear99 Re: 99 book update - 03/24/16
Originally Posted by Sbrown
Received mine today. Have had only a chance to thumb through. Beautiful book!! Outstanding photography!!
I'm sure a lot of blood, sweat, and tears took place to finally make this happen.
Congratulations David!! Could not be more happy for you and my signed copy.

Best-
Steve

+1 Got mine today steve summed it up prefectly thank you for your hard work and dedication dave

ty TBEAR
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 03/24/16
Guys, I'm really glad you like the book. Makes me motivated to get started on book II. David
Posted By: Loggah Re: 99 book update - 03/24/16
David, I got my books today,and dropped Dicks off, "GREAT JOB" !!!! you really did a super job,very impressed only took me 2 hrs to read it !!!! now i got to go back thru and pay attention this time !!! grin grin Don
Posted By: gregintenn Re: 99 book update - 03/24/16
Tennessee mail delivery must be a bit slow. confused
Posted By: Loggah Re: 99 book update - 03/24/16
Tennessee mail be slow, but you guys got a picture of Davy Crockett with a savage 99 in the book !!!!! grin grin or Fess Parker ! grin
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: 99 book update - 03/24/16
They came. No thanks to USPS. Box almost destroyed. Thank God for the padded envelope inside. It saved the books.
Posted By: johnsavage Re: 99 book update - 03/25/16
Mine came Wednesday....absolutely beautiful David! Thank you, thank you!

John
Posted By: BradD Re: 99 book update - 03/25/16
Got mine today. It looks like you did a very nice job with it at first glance. Looking forward to reading it. Thanks!
Posted By: saddlering Re: 99 book update - 03/25/16
No book yet! looking forward to it!
Posted By: GreenHornet47 Re: 99 book update - 03/25/16
99 book received yesterday.Thanks. Tom
Posted By: ROMAC Re: 99 book update - 03/25/16
Got mine today.

Looks like a good read.

Roger
Posted By: gregintenn Re: 99 book update - 03/25/16
I think it came today. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Amazing work! Thanks for the effort.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 03/25/16
I just fumbled my way through charging a book on a credit card. I can take Visa, Master Card, Discover, Diners Club Internatinal, JCB and American Express. David
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: 99 book update - 03/25/16
Excellent work David, the photography is outstanding. Realized through your photos that what I thought was A engraving on my 1899 250/3000 was actually A2. Only engraved 1899 that I am fortunate enough to own.

Thanks for your work and autograph. GW
Posted By: Jerseyboy Re: 99 book update - 03/26/16
I received my autographed book the other day, too. Thanks, David for that and a very beautiful and informative book.
Posted By: BillR Re: 99 book update - 03/26/16
Amazon have now upped delivery date on preorders to April 20 to May 3. (from May 28) Still a long wait!
BillR
Posted By: cmhjohn Re: 99 book update - 03/26/16
Wonder whats up with Amazon, they are usually right on top with delivery and customer service.
Posted By: ilikemilitaria Re: 99 book update - 03/26/16
nothing here yet.. cant wait to have it!

dave
Posted By: Hemlock_Ranger Re: 99 book update - 03/26/16
Received mine yesterday. Very, very nicely done. Thanks a lot! Tom
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 99 book update - 03/26/16
Lots of beautiful photos.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 03/26/16
Dave, I sent your book on Mon by book rate. The p.o. said it would only take a couple of days extra. I haven't had any input on how long book rate is taking from people I sent books by book rate. David
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: 99 book update - 03/26/16
Book rate has a large variance in speed of delivery from my experience.
Posted By: ilikemilitaria Re: 99 book update - 03/26/16
Dave, I sent your book on Mon by book rate. The p.o. said it would only take a couple of days extra. I haven't had any input on how long book rate is taking from people I sent books by book rate. David

nothing today.. I agree with Lightfoot, media mail rate varies a lot. No problem here...I am sure it'll get here.

...feeling like a kid a Christmas though, waiting for it to get here! wink

dave
Posted By: coondawg Re: 99 book update - 03/26/16
I got a update from Amazon today that said expected ship date 4/15-4/25. I can't wait.
Posted By: 1899guy Re: 99 book update - 03/26/16
I received an email from Amazon the other day. They were happy to inform me that sometime in the next month I may be receiving my book. The wait is killing meeeeeee!
Posted By: 21 Re: 99 book update - 03/26/16
Got mine today, neighbor picked them off the front porch and took them inside for me. Said the package was soaked from the rain, and since she knew what it was, opened it up. Dry as a bone!!! (Whewww) Can't wait to get back there to start in on them.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 99 book update - 03/27/16
I received an email from Amazon with an expected delivery date of 9 April.
Posted By: olgrouser Re: 99 book update - 03/27/16
Now I'll be like a kid waiting everyday at the roadside mailbox for my package until copies #99 and 199 arrive. smile
Posted By: Dale K Re: 99 book update - 03/27/16
Mine was in Friday's mail, stuffed it into my suitcase as I was headed north to my parents for the weekend. I got a chance to look at a couple of chapters but not much more. Very nice and nice thoughtful inscription.

Thanks,

Dale
Posted By: griz Re: 99 book update - 03/28/16
David...

My autographed copy of your book arrived in today’s mail in fine shape. What a superb effort. You should be proud. Don’t know how yuh made it so good and sell it so cheap.

Please offer Charlotte our congratulations on the wonderful photos.

Here’s hoping the book develops some substantial sales for you.

Best,
Tom
Posted By: saddlering Re: 99 book update - 03/28/16
David got my book today! very pleased with it very nicely done! put me down for the second one when its done!
Posted By: TomA Re: 99 book update - 03/28/16
Received my 2 books today. Not much of the padded envelope left and had rubber band holding 2 books together. Mailman even tucked another small package inside the shredded envelope. Surprisingly books are in pretty good shape. Thanks David, I will breeze through them shortly. Tom
Posted By: Blitz Re: 99 book update - 03/28/16
David,
There are no words to describe the quality and love you put into this book. I only gave it a quick once over and all I can say is...

WOW!

Thanks for a masterful effort.

Blitz
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 99 book update - 03/28/16
My book arrived today. Good thing, too. As y'all know I've been camped out by the mailbox awaiting its arrival. A bunch of homeless guys joined me since last Thursday, and the neighbors were starting to complain about the singing and the empty bottles clogging the storm drain.

The book is well worth the wait!
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 03/28/16
I'm really glad you guys like the book. I thought it looked good but then it's my baby.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 99 book update - 03/28/16
I'm really glad you guys like the book. I thought it looked good but then it's my baby.

Yeah, it's a beauty. I've learned a thing two also. Like Saddle Guns were made 1971-73. grin
Posted By: ilikemilitaria Re: 99 book update - 03/29/16
Got mine! smile

Exceedingly stellar work David!

Exceeded my expectation (..and that was pretty high!)

thanks so much,
dave
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 03/29/16
Fireball2, you had me worried that I had made a misprint. On page 107 it says the 99A was discontinued before 1983. The catalogs weren't dated then and I don't have any data on late 99A's. This is the best date I can come up with. David
Posted By: 21 Re: 99 book update - 03/29/16
Really enjoying my books, thanks David for signing it and doing a great job on the contents!
Posted By: RandySavage99 Re: 99 book update - 03/29/16
Book was waiting for me when I got home last night. Very impressive!!! Thanks, David, for putting all this information together. Excellent pictures as well, and thanks for the signature!!!! Nice job all the way around.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 99 book update - 03/29/16
David, 300 Savage 99A 1971-1973 caught my eye.
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: 99 book update - 03/30/16
David, they are here! Thanks for the dedication of book 22 to my Malcolm Scoped 22 HP. Next to my Mom's big smile, this is the best Birthday I've had in ages. The rest of the family got me a DNA test to see if I'm really Norwegian. I don't much care where I come from, more interested in where I'm going. Maybe I'll be going after an Axis with my 22 HP. Thanks again, Joe.

PS, that sounded like I didn't like my DNA test kit. I really do like it and think it's about as cool as it comes. I was adopted when I was 3 days old. My Mom worked with my birth mother who was fresh off the boat from Norway. All "I" know is she was 100% Norwegian, it would be cool to find out what the other half is, Joe.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 03/31/16
Several things have come up that need to be addressed.
All the books have tracking numbers and are insured. If any more books are damaged take it AND the packaging to your post office and put in an insurance claim. If you need help contact me. If your book doesn't show up in a reasonable amount of time contact me for the tracking number. Media mail to New England seems to be taking about a week but it's the USPS so it may take longer. It should take less for places closer to Wyoming.
The price for the book is $59.99 in U.S. dollars plus whatever for shipping. I can't absorb the difference between the exchange rates. Canada and New Zealand dollar is about $.70 to $1.00 U.S.
Several people have asked if I still have books to sell. I still have about 70 of the 200 I ordered a few weeks ago and am going to order another 100 today. I intend to have books on hand for many years and will order them as needed.
I'm glad you guys are enjoying your books.
Thanks, David
Posted By: ilikemilitaria Re: 99 book update - 03/31/16
I can already see that I am gonna have to do with David's book, like I did with Murray's book....buy a second..

Keeping one for reading and keeping condition nice, and another for gun shows, travel, knock around use...

Great book David!

dave
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 03/31/16
Maybe they are kind of like potato chips. One just isn't enough. David
Posted By: FoxTrotter Re: 99 book update - 03/31/16
David
I received your book this week and its great.
What really makes it special is your inscription about my grandfather's 32-40 that I used to terrorize the local woodchuck population. Seems like every farmer in that local berg in SW NY had a 99.
Greg
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 04/01/16
You guys in NY were lucky. Fla. was mostly shot gunners. They would buy some buckshot for their bird guns and hunt deer with it. I didn't know anyone else who had a 99.
Thanks for the compliment. I think I posted earlier that I would do special inscriptions for anyone who wanted them. Someone wanted me to say I'd leave my collection to them. But there are limits to what I'll say.
David
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 04/07/16
Noticed some new guys on the forum so thought I would bring this back up. My book on the Savage 99 family of firearms is now available for sale. It covers the evolution of the 99 from the first prototype, a Martini-based repeater to the last variant of the 99C. It has about 260 color pages, is hard back. The cost is $59.99 plus $5.00 media mail shipping. I sign, number and inscribe to book to the buyer. The title is "A Collector's Guide to the Savage 99 Rifle and its Predecessors the Model 1895 and 1899". I accept checks/money orders at David Royal, P.O. Box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941, or paypal at [email protected]. (send to friends and family to save me paypal's fee) or email or call me if you want to use a major credit card. My phone # is 307-231-0869. The book is available on Amazon and Barnes and Noble at a discount but it won't be signed, numbered and inscribed. Thanks, David
Posted By: labsandelk Re: 99 book update - 04/07/16
David
Received the book and it is in good shape
Great job
Thank you
Phil
Thanks for letting me know Phil. Hope you enjoy it. David
Posted By: Rick99 Re: 99 book update - 04/07/16
David, you might post in the Classifies for those that don't do the Savage Forum.
Posted By: 1899guy Re: 99 book update - 04/07/16
Amazon FINALLY delivered my book, that I ordered from them in early Feb.

My book did arrive with a little damage. Looks like it was dropped on one corner and its a bit scrunched there. Not enough though to cause me much concern. Certainly not enough to prevent me from purchasing a second one !!! :-)

All I can say is, very well done!!!!
Ok, I can say more. EXCELLENT!

David Royal, if I were you I would be very proud of myself.

Bob
Posted By: Savageupnorth Re: 99 book update - 04/07/16
David, got mine couple days ago. Really enjoying it!
Thanks!
Posted By: Calhoun Re: 99 book update - 04/07/16
Took mine along to Tulsa and had about 4 people ask where I got it while we were looking things up.
Thanks for all the compliments.
I should have gone to Tulsa but wasn't up to the drive from the physical standpoint. I hope you told them where to get it Rory. I've gotten a few orders that I'm not sure how they heard about the book. Maybe I can make Tulsa in the Fall.
Posted By: svg250 Re: 99 book update - 04/08/16
Got your book right before Tulsa show so I had something to read on the trip. liked it a lot, great pics. Being newer to collecting the greatest lever rifle ever made, I can use all the info I can get. Thanks again
Posted By: coondawg Re: 99 book update - 04/11/16
I received my book from Amazon today. Studying now for my next purchase. Very well done book David. Thanks for your hard work.
Posted By: kiwi Re: 99 book update - 04/12/16
Got mine today
a most enjoyable read, well done
Glad I brought 2, as I think like all my other Savage books
I'll wear the first one out fairly quick
Cheers Kiwi
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 04/16/16
TomA asked me a pertinent question via PM the other day. He asked why I didn't include the information in the early catalogs about slipping the hammer down on a live round. The rifle could then be cocked by opening the lever only about one quarter of the way. I didn't include that info in the book because I consider it a very dangerous procedure. I use that method to decock my 99's with an empty chamber when I'm putting them away. Sometimes the the trigger doesn't disengage the sear and the rifle snaps. If there was a cartridge in the chamber that would result in an unintended discharge. I could be liable for including it in the book if there was an accident. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PROCEDURE with A LIVE ROUND IN THE CHAMBER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. David
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 04/16/16
I've been receiving info that some of the Media Mail shipped books have been damaged in shipping. One got lost out of a package of six. One of the employees at the Pinedale p.o. had told me that media mail had $50 insurance. When I tried to place a claim (it took about 45 minutes of playing games with non-humans on the phone) I finally got to the right place and the non-human told me media mail did not carry insurance. The, uh, human at the p.o. verified that when I called him.
When I charge $69 I'm eating about $5.50 when I send a book to the East coast Priority Mail. I break even if it's within 500 or 600 miles. I would rather pay the additional cost than have any more books damaged or missing. I've started wrapping bubble wrap around the media mail books before I put them in the padded envelope but I'm not sure they can survive the media mail handling even then. I'm told they get tossed into a large container which then gets dumped by a forklift into the next container at some processing center down the line. The orders from the campfire have slowed down a lot which makes me think you guys have pretty well bought any books you want. But for any future orders you might consider paying the extra $4 for priority mail. David
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 04/17/16
I now have a website for the book. Click on the link below. Thanks, David
Posted By: johno Re: 99 book update - 04/20/16
David,

Ive posted your web site on a forum down here, hope it brings some sales. Love the book mate

johno
Posted By: dogzapper Re: 99 book update - 04/22/16

Friends, I received my copy of David's Savage 99 book from Barnes & Nobel a couple of days ago. I would have ordered it straight from David, but one of my Bible Study students gave me a B&N gift card for $100 ... so I used part of it on the book.

EXCELLENT BOOK!!!!

I'm learning so very much about Savage 99s.

David, thank you for spending many hundreds of hours on the book. Also, congratulations are in line for your wife. I've taken (and had published) hundreds of firearms photographs and it's always difficult to get the precise shot you want ... your wife is a master, David.

Blessings,

Steve

Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 04/22/16
Wellllll.... Charlotte is actually my niece. When my wife takes a photo of me she either cuts my head off or gets a lot of sky in the photo. I cringe to think what it would look like if she took a photo of a rifle. But she has a lot of other attributes. David
Posted By: dogzapper Re: 99 book update - 04/22/16

David, your wife and mine share an inherited gene ... the female cutoff gene grin

Karen also has a tendency to back off until the subject (usually me with a dead critter) is just a wee little thing.

My congratulations to your niece; she has a great eye for a fine photograph.

Steve

Posted By: savage1756 Re: 99 book update - 04/22/16
Well David your book is gaining value. I better get one from you next paycheck. I saw your book on Ebay with a starting bid of $90.00. Soon it will be in the ranks of The Krag Rifle Story by Mallory!! Can't wait to get one!
Posted By: TomA Re: 99 book update - 04/22/16
$49.41 only 3 left with free shipping on fleabay. Don't know how they can sell at that low price but they do. Tom
Posted By: Skidrow Re: 99 book update - 04/22/16
Got the book Wed and I'm only to chapter 4 but already I can tell it's a jewel. Thanks for all the hard work.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 04/23/16
I think that is the price for international shipping. I tried to tweek my ebay ad and it went away for a while. I was trying to get the ad to show up in books when I entered "Savage 99". It still doesn't show up in books unless I put the title in. I've only sold one book off ebay in 3 weeks and probably won't renew. I'm also still looking for the money for that one book on paypal. I'm sure my inability to negotiate paypal's website is the problem.
I'll be signing and selling books at the following gun shows this summer:
OGCA, Marysville, Oh., May 7 & 8 (you have to be a member of the OGCA or a guest of a member to get in);
CGCA, Denver, May 21 & 22;
I'm on the waiting list for a table at the Wyoming Weapons Collectors show in Riverton, Wy., May 28 & 29;
and the MVACA show in Kansas City, Mo., July 29, 30 & 31.
Anyone who can make it to those shows be sure to look me up. David
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: 99 book update - 04/23/16
I think that is the price for international shipping. I tried to tweek my ebay ad and it went away for a while. I was trying to get the ad to show up in books when I entered "Savage 99". It still doesn't show up in books unless I put the title in. I've only sold one book off ebay in 3 weeks and probably won't renew. I'm also still looking for the money for that one book on paypal. I'm sure my inability to negotiate paypal's website is the problem.
I'll be signing and selling books at the following gun shows this summer:
OGCA, Marysville, Oh., May 7 & 8 (you have to be a member of the OGCA or a guest of a member to get in);
CGCA, Denver, May 21 & 22;
I'm on the waiting list for a table at the Wyoming Weapons Collectors show in Riverton, Wy., May 28 & 29;
and the MVACA show in Kansas City, Mo., July 29, 30 & 31.
Anyone who can make it to those shows be sure to look me up. David

David,

All you have to do is click on "transfer money to your bank" on the home page of Pay Pal. Otherwise it stays in your Pay Pal account.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 04/23/16
Correction to my last post. The OGCA show is in Wilmington. I shouldn't trust things like that to my memory.

The amount hasn't shown up in my summary and "my ebay" says still awaiting payment. Ebay said it was paid in the initial email and that I was to ship the book within 2 days, which I did. The tracking # shows it was delivered on Wednesday. I started the process with ebay for non-payment.
Posted By: TheOldTree Re: 99 book update - 04/24/16
I was right in the final stage of buying one the other night when my gf walked in...What are you doing she says.."I'm buying a book" What kind of book?..."About guns" What?
ReallY? You need another book about guns?.....Ugh,never mind.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: 99 book update - 04/24/16
...sounds more like a wife. laugh
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 99 book update - 04/24/16
Sounds like an ex girlfriend to me.
Posted By: norm99 Re: 99 book update - 04/24/16
PM for you David when you get half a minute,

norm
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 04/25/16
The buyer says I haven't got my money because ebay says I'm not registered. I usta be. When I get through here I will attack ebay again.
TheOldTree, did you explain to her this wasn't just any old book. Maybe she's ordered it for your birthday and didn't want you to order another one!
David
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 04/30/16
We're heading for the Ohio Gun Collector's show Monday morning. I'll be able to ship books during the time we're away from home to people who pay by paypal or credit card. If any checks come in we'll ship them after we get home the middle of May. Thanks, David
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 05/07/16
Got off to a good start at the OGCA show today. Sold 42 books. That kept me too busy to look at the other displays, hopefully I can check them out in the morning. David
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 99 book update - 05/07/16
Good show David, congratulations!
Posted By: Kojac Re: 99 book update - 05/07/16
David, nice meeting you and briefly chatting today at the OGCA show. Plus got two signed books. Your display set-up is great and got my vote......Bob
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 05/08/16
Thanks guys, will be back in the show in a little while. I met Dave Trauth yesterday and he is going to let me use rifles from his collection in my next book. David
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 06/29/16
I just sent off book number 333 and will have to buy the next 100 pretty soon. That will take me up to number 500. I'm thinking of not numbering them past 500. I will of course continue selling them the rest of my life or as long as they are available. What do you guys think of ending the numbers at 500? Thanks for any input, David
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: 99 book update - 06/29/16
I just checked one of my signed copies and you wrote "book #23 of 500". Of course you should continue to sign them, I just don't think you should increase the number of the signed edition. It would look kind of funny "book #837 of 500". Just messing with ya David! I would keep signing, but drop the numbers, Joe.
Posted By: saddlering Re: 99 book update - 06/29/16
Id quit # them at 500 and just sign them after 500! if I rember right if you sell 500 I get #499 free! grin
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 06/29/16
Huh!
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 99 book update - 06/29/16
I hope one day you have to scratch your name on the 10,000th copy!
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: 99 book update - 06/29/16
I'm waiting for the paper back to come out so I can keep a copy in each one of my cars, right next to the tape measure and tool box, Joe.
Posted By: norm99 Re: 99 book update - 06/30/16
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
I'm waiting for the paper back to come out so I can keep a copy in each one of my cars, right next to the tape measure and tool box, Joe.

don't be so cheep just buy 3 duck tape the covers of 2 for protection and throw the in the cars grin

norm
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 06/30/16
The Publisher hasn't said anything about a paper back edition, but I'm sure one will be coming out eventually. You guys gave me the input I wanted so I'll stop numbering them at 500. I hope it goes beyond 10,000. That's counting books I didn't handle of course. Thanks, David
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: 99 book update - 06/30/16
Originally Posted by norm99
Originally Posted by JoeMartin

don't be so cheep just buy 3 duck tape the covers of 2 for protection and throw the in the cars grin

norm

Darn Norm, why didn't I think of that. I can rip the big hard covers off, fold the pages in half and use the duct tape to bind them. Make my own paper back, Joe.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 99 book update - 06/30/16
Or just rip out the pertinent pages and stick them in your pocket.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: 99 book update - 06/30/16
David, you got some free publicity (positive review)... Guns&Ammo, August 2016, page 16. cool wink
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 book update - 07/01/16
Great! I'll be in Jackson for the Wyoming Sportsman's gun show at the Virginian this weekend. I swing by Smith's and get a copy. Anyone who's in Jackson Hole today or tomorrow come by and see me. David
© 24hourcampfire