Home
Whelen says that the 99RS is the ideal deer rifle.

You can read about it in the March 1932 edition of American Rifleman.
I have all the American Rifleman from 48 to date. Before I got my knee replaced I thought about scanning them for interesting articles and posting them up for discussion. So, I think you hit on a good idea. My rehab has gone so slow, and I've gotten so frustrated, that I'm working 4-6 hours a day in the pool trying to get it to bend.I work out 2-3 hours in the morning, and 2-3 in the evening, on every other day I have rehab. I'm starting to get a bit cranky, and at the moment I want to crush every piece of electronics in my house. So, your posts are keeping me from self detonating, thanks, Joe.
Joe, I've had both knees done, push yourself beyond your limits, it will pay dividends in the end. Post 2 years beyond the last one done and I am pain free and can do anything I ever did!
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Whelen says that the 99RS is the ideal deer rifle.

You can read about it in the March 1932 edition of American Rifleman.

Doesn't take genius to know that the RS is a bad ass deer rifle.

grin

Good thing it wasn't a post-war RS being reviewed, he might have had to write about staking tomato plants. smile
Didn't he give input into the design of the 30's 99R/RS? And did he write that 2page ad for them?
If it was a post war R/RS he might have wrote about its ability to beat game to death as a backup to shooting them.
My 358F-S is a more ideal deer rifle smile [img:center][Linked Image][/img]
This was reprinted from Townsend Whelen's article in American Rifleman. Jeff, was this what you saw?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Yes, I think that it is. The illustrations are different, but the text that I can read appears to be the same.
I've never seen the original article, though I've seen this brochure quite a bit. I think I have one also somewhere. You can click on the 2nd picture and read an enlarged version quite easily, the 1st picture I don't have the full sized pic available.

Somewhere I read a blurb that I think was from Whelen which totally based 99 takedowns as not holding their zero upon reassembly.
He states that the .250-3000 is the best all round deer round. In a quick review of Drew's list (an early list) of R/RS rifles I count 4ea. .250 RS's vs. 17ea. .300 RS's. Appears the .250 was a hard sell.
I think that I remember another article about Whelen shooting alligators and monkeys in Panama with an 1899 in 250-3000.
Not sure when this was run, but shows well what many say the original setup should have been. An 87gr for varmints and 100gr for deer.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Rick99
He states that the .250-3000 is the best all round deer round. In a quick review of Drew's list (an early list) of R/RS rifles I count 4ea. .250 RS's vs. 17ea. .300 RS's. Appears the .250 was a hard sell.

Not far off, and I would have to take more than the 30 seconds that I just did but, but it looks like of all of my my records on prewar Rs and RSs, there were about 7 prewar RSs in 250. Out of a total for 250 and 300 of 46.

Basically reaffirms that at the time the 250 was a hard sell as most customers would rather have the 300!
© 24hourcampfire