Home
Posted By: diamondjim Dead Jake via Savage - 04/25/16
219 frame, 20 gauge. 38 yards, one shot. 2 3/4", 7.5 shot. Dropped like a ton of bricks, but hey when it is the size of a huge chicken, it should..... grin

Was going to put out trail cams, and got the drop on him. Shot at 2:22 in afternoon. He was delicious at 4:30 for afternoon snack.... wink

Still fun. Ain't going back to 12 gauge for turkey. It was tasty too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Dead Jake via Savage - 04/25/16
Hooray!
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Dead Jake via Savage - 04/25/16
Nice work! Saw lots of Kansas ringnecks drop to the 20 gauge.

7-1/2 sounds a little light for turkey?
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Dead Jake via Savage - 04/25/16
A cloud of 7½'s in the head will kill about anything, even me!
Posted By: coondawg Re: Dead Jake via Savage - 04/25/16
congrats!
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Dead Jake via Savage - 04/25/16
Nice going.

I killed one this year at 56 yards with a 20 gauge but was using the Heavyweight #7's. Lots of folks are loading the TSS #9's and killing them at 60-70 yards in a 20 gauge
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Dead Jake via Savage - 04/25/16
Well, truth be told, I forgot my #4s back home. I was able to pick some up near our turkey camp the day after I shot this one. It wasn't my choice, only necessity. I have killed turkey with the same ammo in 16 ga at same distance, so I did feel confident. Just glad it was a big old tom. If you can hit the head/neck they are going down anyway..... cool

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/4...3-4-1-1-8-oz-7-heavyweight-shot-box-of-5
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Dead Jake via Savage - 04/25/16
Looks like I will be making an order. Thanks Scott.
I used 3" shells that have 1 1/2 ounces, but a guy on here uses those 2 3/4 for his son's gun. He killed a bird nicely at 33 yards when I was there last week.
The 7's have the same punch as lead 5's at 45 yards.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Dead Jake via Savage - 04/25/16
Originally Posted by diamondjim
219 frame, 20 gauge. 38 yards, one shot. 2 3/4", 7.5 shot. Dropped like a ton of bricks, but hey when it is the size of a huge chicken, it should..... grin

Was going to put out trail cams, and got the drop on him. Shot at 2:22 in afternoon. He was delicious at 4:30 for afternoon snack.... wink

Still fun. Ain't going back to 12 gauge for turkey. It was tasty too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The turkey God's said "gitter dun" and you did. NICE picture.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Dead Jake via Savage - 04/25/16
Cool beans!

You didn't use a 3.5 inch 12gauge with Hevi-shot, an uber-choke, camo painted with a tacticoool pistol grip!

And 7.5 shot!

Neither you nor the turkey have been paying attention to what they say on Bubbavision!

I'm lovin' it! laugh
Posted By: Sbrown Re: Dead Jake via Savage - 04/25/16
Good deal Jim. Love turkey hunting in the spring. Job has kept me from it this year.
Glad to see you out in the woods.

Best-
Steve
Posted By: RAS Re: Dead Jake via Savage - 04/25/16
Just came back from turkey hunting this last weekend. Could have killed a few jakes on Saturday. With only one tag, I passed. Yesterday I had two mature toms come in completely silent. My buddy moved to tell me that there were two birds. They caught his movement, bye bye birds.

I was listening to a guy on the radio while driving back from hunting and he said that he only hunts with a 410 for turkey. With that gun, I would not shoot past 15 yards. Heck, it's hard to get a bird in under 40!

You guys have had great luck. I don't shoot past 40 with my 870 12 gauge with Heavy Shock super full choke and Winchester 3 inch Double XX in #6.

Still have time.

I killed a nice tom with a 22 hp before.

You have Rio and Merriams in Nebraska right? Eastern maybe too?
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Dead Jake via Savage - 04/25/16
Yep, Game & Parks says we have all 3. Up there by our land it should be Merriams.
Sweet looking bird Jim, even sweeter is the picture of that skillet action! YUM!

Good job,
dave
Posted By: saddlering Re: Dead Jake via Savage - 04/28/16
Congrads Jim! I took a Jake this past monday, with a Encore muzzleloader shot gun, #5s 1 1/2 oz 3 drams of Swiss Black Powder. at 33 yards
Posted By: Mesa Re: Dead Jake via Savage - 04/29/16
Nice to see a 219/220 still doing good works! Congratulations!
© 24hourcampfire