Home
Posted By: borden811 My first 99 is here! - 05/02/16
Ok guys. In relation to my other other thread asking about the 250-3000, here is the end result. All the parts(no missing screw like I thought) are there. The wood and bluing are decent, but not great. I think it's a 99R? The lever boss appears to have a very small "20D" in the circle and the serial # is 643xxx. Still some case coloring left on the lever, and after tearing it down and cleaning it completely, the action us slickk as butter. The bore is bright and shiny, and looks good. It has a flip up adjustable rear sight, and a gold bead front sight, and 24" barrel. H.H. 17 is stamped on everthying(forearm, butt stock, metal that the butt stock slides over, etc.) The last three of the serial number are written on the butt stock and forearm as well. It also came with weaver 14 and 19 bases, and an old "Springfield" 4x scope, made in Japan. A set of rcbs dies, and about 75 necked down 300 savage brass were included in the deal. So, all told, what is the rifle worth roughly? I'm not overly concerned with the value, just curious basically. Also, do you guys think I should keep it vintage and mount up the savage scope, or put something newer like a 2-7 leupold on it? I looked through the savage 4x about 30 mins before dark, and was surprised at how unterrible it looked. I'm not sure how reliable it would be though. Anyway, here are some pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: borden811 Re: My first 99 is here! - 05/02/16
And the scope

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Steelhead Re: My first 99 is here! - 05/02/16
Looks like an R to me, nice rifle.

I always go performance over vintage when it comes to optics for hunting.
Posted By: SAcharlie Re: My first 99 is here! - 05/02/16
Price of rifle private F2F ~$500...on GB $900+.
Posted By: Dale K Re: My first 99 is here! - 05/02/16
I'm with Steelhead on the optics.

Dale
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: My first 99 is here! - 05/02/16
Regardless of what you paid for it, if you're happy that's all that matters (and you should be happy)! Looks a dandy for a first Savage and I'll bet it shoots well. The idea of a 2-7 Leupold is appealing- if one had to have a scope.

A Woolrich coat, and that rifle in hand and you'll be "the cool guy" come the Monday after Thanksgiving!
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: My first 99 is here! - 05/02/16
You picked up a real jewel from my perspective! Rs always seem to shoot very well and landing a .250 is a real bonus!!
Posted By: saddlering Re: My first 99 is here! - 05/02/16
Im thinking that rifles killed deer before! yes Id go with a better scope too!
Posted By: carbon12 Re: My first 99 is here! - 05/02/16
Stock crack behind the top tang or grain line?

If the former, now could be a good time to get that squared away.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: My first 99 is here! - 05/02/16
I didn't like an R until I got a 250. Really like it. Feels deadly. Modern optics for me. I'd rather have a photo of a dead deer than a story of one I couldn't make out in the scope.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Penobscot_99 Re: My first 99 is here! - 05/02/16
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
You picked up a real jewel from my perspective! Rs always seem to shoot very well and landing a .250 is a real bonus!!

It's a 300..Fair market 600-800
Seen a restored all original mint condition went for around 1500 at auction about a year ago..I should have bid it frown
Originally Posted by Penobscot_99

Seen a restored all original mint condition went for around 1500 at auction about a year ago..I should have bid it frown

300?
Fireball, what scope and mounts are you running?
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: My first 99 is here! - 05/02/16
Weavers, Leupold 2.5-8. Might even be a 1.75-6. Too lazy to dig it out.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: My first 99 is here! - 05/02/16
I love shooting vintage scopes.

At the range.

Once in a lifetime of having a scope fog up in the field 300 miles from home and ruining a hunt is enough for me. 90% of my scopes are newer. Leupolds mostly, couple of Nikons and even a couple of Burris. The Leupolds are definitely my favorite.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: My first 99 is here! - 05/02/16
Redfield Revolution 2X7 is a nice scope with good optics made by Leupold and sold at a decent price.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: My first 99 is here! - 05/03/16
Originally Posted by Penobscot_99

WTF are you talking about retard?
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Redfield Revolution 2X7 is a nice scope with good optics made by Leupold and sold at a decent price.

Skidrow, this was a secret..now everyone knows! wink

dave
Posted By: 21 Re: My first 99 is here! - 05/03/16
Originally Posted by Skidrow

Exactly what I have on a 1954 R .300. Not a high dollar scope by any means, but it works just fine.
Posted By: S99VG Re: My first 99 is here! - 05/03/16
Very nice score. If you don't go with a vintage scope, and there many good reasons to use modern optics, then I'd pick something modern that resembles period glass. The new Leupold/Redfields fit this bill. I think the new Weavers do too, especially the Classic K and V series. The only thing that I really don't like is when the scope is so big that it looks like the rifle is mounted to the scope and not the other way around. If you go vintage then I think that Lyman was turning out better optics than Weaver, with Leupold and Redfield likely topping both of those brands.
Posted By: borden811 Re: My first 99 is here! - 05/03/16
No cracks anywhere, just grain lines. Anyone want this scope? I could be persuaded to ship it your direction for some 87gr Speer hot cores wink
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: My first 99 is here! - 05/03/16
I love my 1950 R in 250. I have a mint Redfield 2-7 on it, trust it entirely. My R in 300 has a new Leupold, but the 250 is keeping the Redfield, Joe.
Posted By: RAS Re: My first 99 is here! - 05/03/16
Borden,

I have a gun just like that. It is super accurate. The recommendations for a good scope is spot on. I have a vintage Leupold Westerner 8x with dot reticle on mine. It is a great scope for its day. Though if we're my only gun, I would put a better scope on it. I just like the older gear and accept the handicap. However, I always have a set of Swarovski or Leica binoculars with me so it works out.

If I am packing in on a hunt, then everything is top notch.

You got a good one there. The 250 is a great deer round. A well known gun writer here said, "Saying the 250 Savage is not a good deer round is like saying fire isn't hot"
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: My first 99 is here! - 05/03/16
You are going to have to do what I did, buy two R's. I've got the vintage Redfield on the 250, and a new Leupold on the 300. I shot two wild boar with my 250, a 220 pounder, shot behind the ear, about 4:30 in the afternoon. A 150 pounder shot in the left eye, when I could just barely see him in the scope, at dusk. The next year I had a 300 plus pound hog come out 50-60 yards in front of me. I had tall woods on both sides and at the end of the steep hill I was shooting down. Trying to get the pig in the scope it kept blacking out while looking down. If I looked up to the tree tops there was enough light the Redfield was crystal clear, but as I came down on the hog it got too dark to see. When I realized I had the scope on 7X, I wound it down to 1X, and I could see, but the hog got into the woods. So, I bought a 3.5X10X50 Leupold hoping the big objective would gather more light and give me a few more minutes hunting time. I haven't been pig hunting since to see if it really makes a difference. The Leupold did cost more than both of my R's put together, Joe.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dogslife57 Re: My first 99 is here! - 05/03/16
I really like the plex reticle and clarity of Zeiss so I put a Terra 3-9 on mine. In my case waited way too long to get a 99.
Posted By: Dale K Re: My first 99 is here! - 05/03/16
Ever since I bought it, I had a Weaver K4-W or a Bushnell Scopechief on my 99. I had bought scopes in the 1975-1980 time frame. Last year, I put a Leupold VX 2 (or whatever the current model designation is) 2-7 on it. I wish I had done that sooner.

Dale
Posted By: borden811 Re: My first 99 is here! - 05/03/16
Yeah, I'm looking for a 2-7 of some variety(or something close to that power range). Leupy, weaver, etc. I just missed a gloss 2.5-8 leupy in the classifieds by about 2 minutes. This won't be my main hunting rifle, but one of my fun guns, so I don't want to spend a ton on a scope, but I want something decent at the same time.
Posted By: S99VG Re: My first 99 is here! - 05/03/16
Lots of decent glass out there that won't break the bank.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: My first 99 is here! - 05/03/16
Skidrow, this was a secret..now everyone knows!

The secret is how many of them I picked up at wholesale when they first came to market. grin They're a little more spendy at retail. frown
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: My first 99 is here! - 05/04/16
I like the Leupold VX-3 2 1/2 X 8. The 36 mm objective allows it to be mounted low and it still has great light gathering ability.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: My first 99 is here! - 05/05/16
Originally Posted by wyo1895
I like the Leupold VX-3 2 1/2 X 8. The 36 mm objective allows it to be mounted low and it still has great light gathering ability.

+1
© 24hourcampfire