Home
Hello all.

About 2 years ago, I bought my first and only savage 99. An F model takedown in 300 savage. It's actually marked 1899 but being from 1923 I'm told its a 99, not an 1899.

Anyway, I've shot it only once with old ammo from the 50's and honestly was not overly impressed. It didn't shoot bad, just that I expected better. It was then cleaned and put away and not shot since. Currently, I'm lusting after something else and have decided this is the only gun I own that I'm willing to part with. Crazy to me because I own every single gun I've ever had except a couple that were stolen years ago. The two guns I'm looking to buy or trade for are a Mossberg 46 and a near mint 1967 H&R 999 Sportsman revolver. Total asking price for the two is $475 and I feel the 99 is worth more than that especially with the tang sight but suspect in a trade situation a dealer will not want to make up the difference.

So, like many others, I'm looking for advice on what it's worth. It has a vintage Lyman tang sight that is fully functional and a #6 Lyman rear sight that is NOT fully functional. It is missing one leaf and the leaf that it still has does not lock upright. Stock, metal, bore etc are all in good solid condition. I'll try to get some pictures up here in just a bit but looking for a ballpark figure.

Oh, one other factor, it is a takedown but I have not had it apart. Tried once but couldn't get it to turn, didn't want to force it so just quit trying.
First pic, should be able to see the rest in photobucket but I'll probably put more here.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Don't know if you all will be able to see all my other pics once you click on s photo or not but if you can, be sure to scroll to the right, not the left. To the left are pics of another 99 that I almost bought but didn't. Also, I forgot until I just now saw the pics but looks like there is a chip missing from the toe of the stock.
Pm sent.
I would think you would get several offers on that one. I have an F in 303 and love it, Joe.
Not that it matters to me but just curious:

You shot a 95 year old gun with open sights and 60 year old ammo and weren't impressed.

OK:

Just wondering what you were expecting?
Different strokes I guess. It's s slick gun and I like that you can shoot pointy bullets but I don't know. Didn't do it for me. Sort of like the blonde-brunette-redhead thing. A simple matter of preference I suppose.
Originally Posted by DaveBulla
Different strokes I guess. It's s slick gun and I like that you can shoot pointy bullets but I don't know. Didn't do it for me. Sort of like the blonde-brunette-redhead thing. A simple matter of preference I suppose.

Ok: Works for me grin

Mine's a dark haired beauty, just the way I like her.
OK. Got a couple pm's from interested people but not a single number. That's mainly what I'm interested in at this point.
I'd like to start the bidding at $100.
Maybe yer fishin' in the wrong pond...
Add-on goodies such as tang sights don't seem to drive gun prices up as a potential buyer could always say keep the sight i don't need it. I can't believe how much H&R 999s go for these day. H&R/HRA made some good Garands and M14s, but their comercial offerings never seemed to be "top shelf" items. And that's not to say that there was anything wrong with their firearms as I'm sure that they all "delivered the goods"
Never mind guys. All I really wanted was an appraisal. Guess I'll go ask somewhere else. Thanks anyway.
Never mind guys. All I really wanted was an appraisal. Guess I'll go ask somewhere else. Thanks anyway.

In the condition that gun is in I thing absolutely top dollar is $550-600.
Appraisals cost money and require an in person visit.
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Appraisals cost money and require an in person visit.

Appraisals too often start fights on here, so lots of folks are reluctant to go there.
Appraisals too often start fights on here, so lots of folks are reluctant to go there.

Life goes on.
Hello. These are my favorite 99s. I would like to make a purchase. Pm sent. Thanks John.
Looks like it's missing the front sight. Might lend itself to "less than impressed" shooting. wink wink wink
Originally Posted by 1000is
Suggest you sign up for Proxibid.com (free) and follow the auctions for 99s like yours.

Set up guns like yours to "watch". Then wait till they sell, add in the buyers premium, typically 15-22% and see a real world value.

That will give you a range of prices that real buyers and real sellers made a deal at.

There is no shortage of 99s for sale on various auctions.

Good luck.
[Linked Image]
Eye bleach called for. grin
Don't know if you all will be able to see all my other pics once you click on s photo or not but if you can, be sure to scroll to the right, not the left. To the left are pics of another 99 that I almost bought but didn't. Also, I forgot until I just now saw the pics but looks like there is a chip missing from the toe of the stock.

i would give you $ 500.oo if it was in Canada but from U.S, it costs to much to bring across.

norm
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Eye bleach called for. grin

I was thinking red hot branding irons in the eyes...
OK, after reading the last couple comments, I was a bit ticked off and decided to just walk away but I'm not leaving without one last comment. Specifically noted are the comments about eye bleach required and red hot branding irons in the eyes. The only way I can take those is as a couple smart ass comments meaning the rifle is so ugly you all want to gouge your eyes out. Excuse the F¥@k outta me boys if my only Savage is not up to par here.

I didn't come here to sell here and probably worded the title wrong. As stated in the first post, I was looking at a trade locally and only wanted a good idea of value FOR THAT TRADE. I didn't come fishing for a buyer. I didn't come for a professional appraisal. I certainly know that a true appraisal costs money and can't be done on line accurately. All I wanted was a friendly, ball park value from guys who supposedly like Savage 99's. I got a couple helpful pm's from several members and for that, thank you. But damn, I have to say I haven't been on a sight in a long time that came across as just a couple of jerks. Reminds me of one of the AR forums I went to once just to try to learn a bit. Those idiots were flat out hostile to each other. I never bothered to post.

So, unless I missed something and misunderstood, I believe I'm done here. Maybe I'll lurk and search now and then because there is some good info floating around but I'll not be a regular.
It's Larry. Not your model F.
Neither comment about eye bleach nor red hot branding irons were directed toward your rifle. They were directed toward the picture posted a post or two above. You need to learn how to tell which poster is answering which poster. At the end of the title line of each post there is an "Re" in red with the handle of the member that the posters is replying to. Learn how the posting works here and learn a lot about Savage M99s. Or not.
Sorry Dave. If you go back through the thread you will see all of the posts by "1000is" have been removed. He posted a picture of a guy in women's undee's with a blow up pig in his lap, that's what the eye bleach was about. He was banned from the site and keeps coming back under different names. He causes this kind of problem and confusion all the time. I'm glad you got ticked and came back, it's one problem child, not the site, Joe.
stick around and pull up a log to the fire as said in the last 2 posts it aint YOU its the azz that has been banned.

norm
OK guys. Gotta admit, looks like a retraction on my part is in order.

I never saw the picture mentioned and thought someone was full of it. Went back to prove it and accidently found it. I've been viewing on my phone all this time and since the picture does not show unless you scroll down in the window that post is in it is not visible. I'd read that post twice and saw nothing wrong with it. Just by chance today when scrolling I must have swiped my finger differently and realized there was more of that post not visible inside the subpart. Actually, I suspect that as mentioned the original was pulled but someone did a reply to about it and it does there. I think I may have never seen the original.

So now the question seems to be, where did the last guy leave that danged bleach bottle? Eeewww!

Also, never noticed the little header with the "Re ____________" can't even see that on my phone unless I really blow up the page. Don't think I've ever seen that on ANY page I go to but maybe it's there and I just never noticed. Usually guys will do a copy and paste into a quote block and at a glance you know what post they are taking about because the whole post is repeated, it's inside a block and usually it or the text is s different color.

So, the question on that now is, how DO You reply to a single post compared to replying to the whole post in general?

Heck, I may have been doing it wrong all along.
OK, think I answered my own question about how to reply to a person vs the whole post. More fine red print at the bottom right? That line with the reply, quote, quick reply etc? As opposed to just clicking on the big blank box at the bottom.
My advice to you is to get advice on how to get your take down 2 take down. It would become more marketable.
I wouldn't worry about the TD. I have several that I can't undo. I find it better to have one that is tight vs one that is too loose. Just my opinion.

PS... Dave, you might try using the site on a computer, if possible, so you can see the whole screen in a larger format to learn the available features.
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by 1000is
Suggest you sign up for Proxibid.com (free) and follow the auctions for 99s like yours.

Set up guns like yours to "watch". Then wait till they sell, add in the buyers premium, typically 15-22% and see a real world value.

That will give you a range of prices that real buyers and real sellers made a deal at.

There is no shortage of 99s for sale on various auctions.

Good luck.
[Linked Image]

so is that what a LARRY ROOT looks like?
ranks right up there with Hildibeast!

Dave you have a nice savage and one you may never get again. i have sold a few 99's when the "something new" itch strikes and have lived to regret it.
personally i think the 300 savage is one of the finest rounds ever created and have never had a problem getting fine accuracy with it, unless there was something really wrong with the gun. i have one that the bore looks like a sewer pipe inside but has a good crown and shoots into 1.25 inches /100 yards.
the 500-600 range will get it gone fast.
© 24hourcampfire