Home
Posted By: MountainBear Savage 1920 Action Value - 06/24/16
I have a complete Savage 1920 action in my parts bin. It is complete less the barrel and the stock. I had planned to build a nice lightweight hunting rifle, but honestly it's so far down my list, I likely won't ever get to it. Do you savage experts have any clue what it might be worth?
Posted By: norm99 Re: Savage 1920 Action Value - 06/24/16

Originally Posted by MountainBear
I have a complete Savage 1920 action in my parts bin. It is complete less the barrel and the stock. I had planned to build a nice lightweight hunting rifle, but honestly it's so far down my list, I likely won't ever get to it. Do you savage experts have any clue what it might be worth?

how clean and condition of the action??

norm
Very clean and unmolested. No extra holes, no rust issues.
Posted By: RAS Re: Savage 1920 Action Value - 06/25/16
I am interested in buying it. PM sent.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Savage 1920 Action Value - 06/25/16
$4000, minimum. grin
Posted By: S99VG Re: Savage 1920 Action Value - 06/25/16
4K on a bad day! On a good day the sky's the limit.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Savage 1920 Action Value - 06/25/16
What serial numbers?
Well, damn if only it really were worth 4K. I can't find any online auctions to compare which is why I asked your honest opinions.
I will take photos and get serial numbers in the morning.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here are the photos I have. Like I said, in very nice shape for the age. One decent blemish shown in last photo, but overall nothing horrifying. Serial number is 3669.

Posted By: cmhjohn Re: Savage 1920 Action Value - 06/26/16
Calibre ?
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Savage 1920 Action Value - 06/26/16
Originally Posted by cmhjohn
Calibre ?

Since there isn't a barrel attached to the action, what difference does it make?

The 1920s were only chambered for 2 cartridges, the 250-3000 and 300 Savage. Based on the SN, I think that it was probably a 250-3000 when it left Utica.
I agree, and .250-3000 was likely what I was going to build it up as. I found one company online that puts out a semi-inlet stock for it, although I don't know if it's a trustworthy company. Beyond that, I believe the threads are the same dimension and pitch as the old square thread 99's. So no issue barreling it up. It's a good project, but it's so far down on my project list and I'd like to finish some of the other projects higher up.

I have had some pm's offering to buy it, but I'd like to hear some opinions on value before considering offers.
It's customary for a seller to put a price on an item intended to be sold on this site, surprised that no one has brought this to your attention yet....
I did not offer it up for sale Jack. I asked if the savage collectors who frequent this page could help me place a value on it. The offers to buy it have come unsolicited. Not unwelcome, but unsolicited.

I feel a bit like the unpopular kid who just tried to sit at the cool table in the lunch room...
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Savage 1920 Action Value - 06/26/16
Yes, the barrel tenon/shank specs are the same square threads as the pre-million SN 99s.

I'm not interested in buying your 1920 action, but would opine that it is worth no more than $300, since the cost of putting a complete rifle together would likely be another $300 to $500.

The internet can be tough, no place for the sensitive or faint of heart.

Good luck with your project.
Thanks for the actual opinion. It is very much appreciated.

No sensitivity, I grew up as the fat kid and developed thick skin. Plus I'm used to keyboard commandos...
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Savage 1920 Action Value - 06/26/16
Originally Posted by MountainBear

I feel a bit like the unpopular kid who just tried to sit at the cool table in the lunch room...

Whoa does that ring my bell! grin
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Savage 1920 Action Value - 06/26/16
What do you mean Roy, your the most beloved red haired step child at the fire, Joe.
Posted By: Phil99 Re: Savage 1920 Action Value - 06/26/16
$200-300
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Savage 1920 Action Value - 06/26/16
Off of the gun, I would price it like a nice clean M98 Mauser action or high number Springfield action. $200 if it has condition issues, $300 if it is super clean, like Rod said.

(Or $4000 if it was once owned by Hemingway who sold it to Gary Cooper in Marlene Dietrich's bedroom while she danced naked with Jean Harlow.)
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Savage 1920 Action Value - 06/26/16
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
What do you mean Roy, your the most beloved red haired step child at the fire, Joe.

Wait....what?!! crazy
Thank you all for the suggestions. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Savage 1920 Action Value - 06/26/16
Sorry for getting off topic in my first response, but a complete rifle in decent shape can go over 1K on a good day. I'd suspect an action alone to go for much less, but to the right guy chomping at the bit who knows. And you are right, you didn't advertise but only asked for honest opinions on price and not stupid quibs from wise acres like myself. Best of luck in your sale.
Posted By: Phil99 Re: Savage 1920 Action Value - 06/27/16
I bought a decent Model 20 at a gun show a few years ago for $150. Decent EXCEPT for the fact that the bolt was missing. Sold the barreled action (without the bolt) for $200. The stock brought $350 if I remember correctly. (No, sadly, the gun didn't have the Lyman 54 receiver sight).
Posted By: RAS Re: Savage 1920 Action Value - 06/27/16
MB,

If and when you decide to sell, let me know.

Thanks,
Jeff
Posted By: tal35 Re: Savage 1920 Action Value - 06/29/16
ditto
© 24hourcampfire