Home
Anyone have the production percentages by caliber for the EG?
I have a chance to buy a really nice EG in .30-30, would be the earliest checkered, all numbers match .. Just have to decide if I want to dig that deep in my pocket for it.
Thanks Keith
I think the guys who could answer that are on the road to Pennsylvania, Kieth.
If it's nice, dig deep, buy it.
A checkered 30-30 EG is probably a 2 year production gun. In high condition pretty valuable. I don't know if anyone has exact figures but the great majority of EG's, probably 85- 90% were 300's. From what I've seen the 250 ran a distant 2nd place. The 30-30's and 303's seem to be much less common than the 250. A checkered EG in 30-30 would be a nice gun to have. Hope this helps. David
I'll be crass and ask how much?
Thanks all. David, that is in line with my gut. From watching online auctions I,d have guessed for every 100 .300s, there have been 20-25 250-300s and a handful of .308s. I,ve only seen one other 30-30 (it was non checkered), and have never seen a .303, .22HP .243, or .358.

Roy, I messaged you.
I have an uncheckered 30-30. I've looked at so many 99's during the research for the book I'm not sure if I've seen others. I know there aren't many. The 300 was such a great round almost everyone in the EG era was buying them, whether it was an EG, G, E, F or K. Good luck, David
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
Anyone have the production percentages by caliber for the EG?
I have a chance to buy a really nice EG in .30-30, would be the earliest checkered, all numbers match .. Just have to decide if I want to dig that deep in my pocket for it.
Thanks Keith

IF YOU DON'T, I WILL !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think Savage made about 2% of the EGs in .358, 4% in .308, 5% in .243, 8% in .303, 12.5% in .30-30, 32% in .250-3000 and 100% in .300!

I have several 300's...a few 250-3000's, a 308, a 243,
and an uncheckered 30-30...I'll have them all at the
fest..I'm sure there's gonna be some real nice tomato
stakes there...

Joe
What David said. The checkered EG's with 22" barrels were in production only about 2 years. I have one in 30-30, but I can't recall seeing any other checkered EG's with a 22" barrel.

Hard to give advice without knowing the price, but if it has any condition you should think real hard before you walk away from it.
I have an EG in 30-30. No checkering. Nice gun and darn accurate.
Also got one in 358.

[Linked Image]
I'm picking it up Monday. Thanks for all the input/help. I'll post pics once I take some decent ones.

I am going to need a nice rear sight elevator for it. Anyone have one I can buy?
Thanks, Keith

RAS - that's a heck of a nice buck! The EG looks sweet, too.

Good for you Keith!

That elevator is scarce. I found an 1899 aftermarket but no luck on that EG style.
I would really like to have a checkered EG in 30-30. Good for you. Of course, ammo is everywhere.
This one will be at the 'fest tomorrow.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
You guys have me thinking about a separate gun show display of EG's only. I have all the calibers except 243 and I have one of them lined up if I can ever spare the money. My 30-30 EG is not part of the regular display but I think I'll bring it to Savage Fest West anyway. David
© 24hourcampfire