Home
Snagged one of my best deals today, a really nice Savage 99 takedown model in .300 Savage. Not sure if its a "G" model or not, but it has a 24" barrel, cartridge counter on the side, and safety on the lever. Serial number is 6-digits, 319***, which (I believe) indicates a 1929 date of manufacture. I previously had a TD in 250-3000 from the 20's, but I think this one is a little nicer.

What kind of information can you give me on the rifle? Barrel lockup is very tight, enough so that I haven't been able to remove the barrel. Any tips on getting the barrel removed, or should I even bother? It would certainly make cleaning the barrel a lot easier!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/alb...99/Savage%2099%202_zpsvk90iida.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/alb...99/Savage%2099%201_zpstrmqtmwa.jpg[/img]
Nice looking G alright. Rear sight is not original. does it look like it had a tang sight on it at one time?

Lever has to be open to remove the barrel. If it doesn't want to come apart I'd recommend leaving it.
Not sure on whether it ever had a rear peep, plug screws are still on place...but I am definitely already looking for one.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Medium weight brl., raised ramp front sight...sweet.

If you don't plan on putting it in your suit case for a trip I would not worry about taking it down, as stated above. smile
if the front bridge has not been drilled you have a nice original rifle in need of a period correct rear sight
Front bridge?
receiver ring, where the barrel screws into the action.
No "drilling" that I can find...do you mean someone drilling/tapping for front scope ring base?
Originally Posted by Jason280
No "drilling" that I can find...do you mean someone drilling/tapping for front scope ring base?

Yep, that's what he meant....
Any guesses on what a fair price would be for the rifle, or at least what they are going for?
5-600
$700-800 no problem.
Originally Posted by Jason280
Any guesses on what a fair price would be for the rifle, or at least what they are going for?

Worth whatever you paid for it...
I have killed more than a few critters with that same exact gun. It is an excellent, classic hunting rifle. I would take it over a Win 94 any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
What would be a period correct rear peep for the rifle, Lyman or possibly a Redfield?
© 24hourcampfire