Home
Posted By: Calhoun NRA 19 - 07/27/16
Picked up a toy on the way home from the Fest. Nice shape, except a little bit of black oil or something soaked into the buttstock. It'll be a nice mate to my 19H in 22 Hornet.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: KeithNyst Re: NRA 19 - 07/27/16
Rory,
That's a neat rifle. What level of accuracy did these acheive? With my high-end 54 SA Sporter I get about .3-.4" at 50 yards, but to tell you the truth, one of these 19s looks like it would be just as much fun to shoot.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: NRA 19 - 07/27/16
I never had one that would out-shoot a M52 Winchester. But we are splitting hairs. Neat gun!
Posted By: JeffG Re: NRA 19 - 07/28/16
Rory, is that a solid receiver-barrel like the model 23's?
Posted By: steve99 Re: NRA 19 - 07/28/16
Nice pick up Calhoun. I like barrel bands, may not help with accuracy though.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: NRA 19 - 07/28/16
Originally Posted by JeffG

Yes, in fact the action is the same on the 23's and the 19's.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: NRA 19 - 07/28/16
Therein lies my main beef with that series of guns. That and the sloppy sights they insisted on using.
Posted By: GeneB Re: NRA 19 - 07/28/16
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by JeffG

Yes, in fact the action is the same on the 23's and the 19's.
Yours is the 1933 version, same action as the 23-AA's, it has a faster lock than earlier guns and also a second locking lug, earlier 22's just locked with the base of the bolt handle. I also see it has an optional 10 round magazine.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: NRA 19 - 07/28/16
How is that scope mounted? What base(s) etc.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: NRA 19 - 07/28/16
Gene, yep, it came with the 10rd magazine with no markings and no 5 round. Had another 10rd at home with an S stamp on the bottom that fits it fine as well, but only 5rd mags are in my 23's. Thought I had a few extra.. and might.. just have to find them. grin

Mike, side mount Weaver - forget the number. I can take a pic tonight. It's a Bushnell Banner scope with a Circle X reticle. Gotta clean the copper out of the bore and take it out shooting, hopefully tonight.

Here's my 19H to go with it, with aftermarket checkering added and a late 23AA with factory checkering.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: NRA 19 - 07/28/16
Are the magazines interchangeable with later series, ie:34, 35,65,85? If so, Wisner's sells a new 10-shot for $23 and a 5-shot for $20. I can vouch for Wisner quality, having used their M-52 Winchester mags- they work flawlessly.

(Or perhaps one could get Gene to make you one... whistle )
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: NRA 19 - 07/28/16
I got a 10 shot from Numrich for my 1933. Works fine.

Anybody have a hankering to add a 1933 to the herd? I have one to move.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: NRA 19 - 07/29/16
Left view on a GREAT door prize from the Fest (courtesy of Joe Martin).

[Linked Image]

Side mount is a Weaver 1"H? That's.. an odd model name.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: NRA 19 - 07/29/16
I hope it doesn't fall over, then you'll be trying to get me in the cross hairs, Joe.
It could use to be 2 inches longer on the barrel end, Joe.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: NRA 19 - 07/29/16
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
I hope it doesn't fall over, then you'll be trying to get me in the cross hairs, Joe.

I bought a hook/eye set for the back to keep the upright from falling over. grin
Good Idea, why didn't I think of that, Joe.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: NRA 19 - 08/03/16
Tried my hand at some 25yd small bore benchrest last night with this, first time I've done that. All I've done to the gun since I got it was run a boresnake through to remove dust, I'm presuming there's still a lot of copper in there to remove.

But I'm happy with the results, considering I was running on 3 hours of sleep and a whole lot of coffee/soda. I think the gun is a shooter.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: NRA 19 - 08/03/16
Doubt you'll find any copper in there, Rory. Perhaps some lead. Back her up to 50 yards and see what she'll do!
The Bushnell Banner scope is not a great choice for this. Can't get the reticles close to being in focus without the targets at 25 yards being a bit of a double vision blur.. felt like I'd had a few too many kamikazes. grin

50 yards would probably be better if for no other reason than the focus.

Gonna look and see what other scopes I have sitting around tonight.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: NRA 19 - 08/03/16
Parallax comes into play with the 1" scopes on a .22. The factory set it for 100 yards in most cases.

Use a scope with an adjustable objective if you have one.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: NRA 19 - 08/03/16
No time for junk scopes here. It should shoot alot better clean, with a good scope.
Yeah, knew the parallax could be a problem, trying really hard to get the same cheek weld every time. Don't have a good rimfire scope, wouldn't mind buying one if I knew a good one for a reasonable price. All my other 22LR guns are iron or peep sights only.

Took it out tonight, still getting 4 out of 5 holes fitting under a dime at 25yds. I think the 5th is the shooter's fault, tho that bottom left group was a let down. It's why I'm doing this shooting with this group, practicing my bench shooting form. Shot one 3 shot group on Monday with a front and rear rest after sighting in and it was just a single .3" hole. Only get a front rest for the shooting we score, so probably breathing or just unsteady.
Here's a target with coins for scale. Hopefully I'll get better with it, but I'm impressed for it being an 80 year old gun just picked off a gun rack at Cabelas. All the other guys were using new stuff, but the old Savage did quite well.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: NRA 19 - 08/04/16
For an interesting look at state of the art .22 shooting in that era when your gun was made, target and hunting, snag a copy of ".22 Caliber Rifle Shooting" by C.S.Landis. Thorough treatise on the subject.

That rifle, with premo ammunition, should produce targets like the top left one at 50 yards, and like the bottom left one at 100 yards- prone with a tight sling, with aperture sights.

Be careful, Rory. The world of 30's-vintage target rifles is a complex one and a fun one. That rabbit hole can tempt you into a whole new world!

Winchester was king of the hill back then. They set themselves a goal of domination of American .22 competition shooting, and spared no expense in the development and manufacture of the Model 52- and it became the standard to which all others were compared. My Speedlock 52A, off the bench with 10x Fecker scope adjusted for parallax, will shoot 5 shot premium ammo groups at 50 yards you can cover with an aspirin. (Not nearly as well with irons, sling and my gimpy self as the shooting platform! The fun is in striving to equal bench quality by position shooting.)

We could have great fun with .22 postal matches amongst us girls. I would even buy a 1933 NRA to keep the playing field even!
Posted By: Calhoun Re: NRA 19 - 08/04/16
I've seen those Winchester 52's, look pretty cool. Just trying my toes in this benchrest world, didn't even try different ammo - grabbed the first bulk case of Remington I found in my stash. Always before if I could knock down that silhouette target at 300 meters it was good enough for expert, or if the deer drops after the first shot then all is good. grin
The last 1933 I had really liked Federal standard velocity stuff, but each rifle is a law unto itself. I reserve Remington bulk ammo for shooting tin cans with my "plinker" .22's. If you ever stumble onto any old (15 or so years) Federal Gold Ultra Match, buy it- even if you need to take out a second mortgage. Too bad Federal discontinued it, as it was the ultimate in accurate American-made .22 ammo. I will cry unashamedly when the last two bricks of it I have are finally spent. Bug hole accuracy is a given, no matter which lot it is, unlike Eley Tenex which can slip a stinker lot through now and then.
Posted By: S99VG Re: NRA 19 - 08/04/16
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
We could have great fun with .22 postal matches amongst us girls. I would even buy a 1933 NRA to keep the playing field even!

Hey, I could be up for that. Or to use the modern vernacular - I'm down with that! I stumbled into a nice 19-33 a few years back. It was one of my early personal "Holy Grail" .22 rifle finds. Right now I’m setting it up with a Lyman 48Y and a hooded Redfield globe front sight on a dovetail base. I have a Redfield 3200 scope that will go on it as soon as it gets repaired. Of course this will all come to fruition only if I can put down my current personal “Holy Grail” .22 rifle find - a 1922 M2 Springfield.
Originally Posted by S99VG
Of course this will all come to fruition only if I can put down my current personal “Holy Grail” .22 rifle find - a 1922 M2 Springfield.

I hear you on that. I played with a couple back in a previous life and would dearly like another one.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: NRA 19 - 08/04/16
I'm in if y'all aren't too snobbish about what you let me shoot. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Blasphemy!!!

Gotta be Savage only if I participate. grin

Maybe have 22LR and 22 Hornet and 22 High Power divisions..
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: NRA 19 - 08/04/16
Now you're talking, I want to see some one shoot a Gnats eye out with an HP. If your really good you can put it in through it's eye and out it's, well, you know where I mean, Joe.
Yup, Savages only, even though that's a pretty nifty fusil you got there Roy.

.22's at 50 yards, .22 CF's at 100. But darn it, now I gotta buy a .22 RF Savage. A shopping we will go, a shopping we will go, hi-ho the derry-o a shopping we will go!

Be interesting to see what Gene would unlimber for this!

Off the bench or off the hind legs???
Yup, Savages only, even though that's a pretty nifty fusil you got there Roy.

.22's at 50 yards, .22 CF's at 100. But darn it, now I gotta buy a .22 RF Savage. A shopping we will go, a shopping we will go, hi-ho the derry-o a shopping we will go!

Be interesting to see what Gene would unlimber for this!

Off the bench or off the hind legs???

Gotta be bench for me to have a chance against you guys.
My days of precision position shooting are behind me. My back/posture defies a good offhand stance, and I would need oldotter or somebody to help me up off the ground after shooting prone! How about sitting, in a lawn chair? grin
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
There ya go, Fireball.. sweet!

Sitting works for me.. recliner at the lake. Yeah.. Or, any position the shooter wants to shoot from.
Originally Posted by S99VG
Of course this will all come to fruition only if I can put down my current personal “Holy Grail” .22 rifle find - a 1922 M2 Springfield.

I hear you on that. I played with a couple back in a previous life and would dearly like another one.

All it took for me was five months of payments. Not the most expensive firearms purchase I ever made, but close. Now all I need is that 1903 NRA Sporter!
Originally Posted by Fireball2
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now you're cooking with gas!
How about sitting, in a lawn chair? grin

I think if you use one of those fold up soccer mom chairs with the built in cup holders, put a tall boy in the holder, it will work just as good as any bench, Joe.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I'm in if y'all aren't too snobbish about what you let me shoot. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Roy, is that a post war "RC" with the fluted stock? Looks like an R with the beaver tail, and looks like a C with the clip. Yep, must be the super rare "RC", Joe.
I always did like RC Cola, Joe.
As far as shooting positions, if'n it's alright, I'll just use someone's 3' tall flat-headed girlfriend ta get me a good rest aim offa.
You boys are jiss cryin foul ona count a tha Marlin's microgroovy rifling. That rifle there is a shooter, if you can run it.
© 24hourcampfire