Home
Hello all.

I need help, please, identifying which version of model 99 we have here. It is serial number 529513, in 300 Savage caliber. There is an "SP" in an oval on the left side of the barrel near the receiver frame. It has a brass rotary magazine, but I do not see a counter. It has a tang safety and a slightly curved steel butt plate.

Thank you in advance for and insight you can provide.

Attached picture Savage roll mark.jpg
Attached picture SP.jpg
This rifle appears to have a dove tail front sight.

Attached picture Front Sight B.jpg
Your pictures and markings don't identify squat. Post pictures of the WHOLE rifle.
Tang safety with that serial #? This could get interesting.
Serial # would put it about 1950, close to the serial of my 1950, B, LBC. Yet no counter would be an E, much later. Yes interesting. We do need a picture of the whole rifle. Different models had different forearms, etc, Joe.
May have the aftermarket tang safety which is interesting in itself.
Or, I suppose he is referring to the safety mounted on the lower tang...

Way too many mysteries. I don't think Sam Spade could suss it out at this point.
Kinda like some online auctions with 30 closeups but never an end-to-end shot...
Looks like a thin forearm in the barrel address pic, which would make it a 99EG. Only other option at that serial number range is a 99R.

Bill, a 99EG has a thin forearm with a "schnabel" tip on it. A 99R has a fat and wide forearm with a rounded end. Those were the only 2 models made in 1950. Neither came with a tang safety, though there were after market tang safeties available. Both came with a cartridge counter on the left side of the receiver - a window where you should see the number 0 when the magazine is empty. If you have the window but don't see a 0, that may just mean the rotor is adjusted slightly wrong.

The SP stamp just means "Savage Proofed", is present on all Savage firearms of that time.

A 1950 99EG:
[Linked Image]

And early 50's 99R:
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Looks like a thin forearm in the barrel address pic, which would make it a 99EG. Only other option at that serial number range is a 99R.

Bill, a 99EG has a thin forearm with a "schnabel" tip on it. A 99R has a fat and wide forearm with a rounded end. Those were the only 2 models made in 1950. Neither came with a tang safety, though there were after market tang safeties available. Both came with a cartridge counter on the left side of the receiver - a window where you should see the number 0 when the magazine is empty. If you have the window but don't see a 0, that may just mean the rotor is adjusted slightly wrong.

The SP stamp just means "Savage Proofed", is present on all Savage firearms of that time.

A 1950 99EG:
[Linked Image]

And early 50's 99R:
[Linked Image]

I typed "EG" but then deleted it because I didn't want to explain myself so I'm glad you did it.
Thank you all for the feedback. Please let me know if you need close ups of anything.

Attached picture IMG_0795.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0796.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0797.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0799.JPG
More pics

Attached picture IMG_0800 B.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0801 B.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0802 B.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0803 B.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0808 B.jpg
Yep, model 99EG with after market drilled and tapped receiver for scope bases. Otherwise looks pretty clean. What's the scope?
Last batch.

Thanks again.

Attached picture IMG_0809 B.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0804.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0806.JPG
My guess would be a Lyman Perma Center scope. Period correct I believe.
Thanks Calhoun.

The scope is a Weaver K 8 60-B. The reticle has two horizontal lines and one vertical.

Attached picture Weaver K8 60 B.jpg
It has a little wear on the sides of the receiver, but it is in decent overall shape. It was my Grandfather's gun. He used it extensively for deer hunting in New Mexico and California.
Originally Posted by BillKilgore
It has a little wear on the sides of the receiver, but it is in decent overall shape. It was my Grandfather's gun. He used it extensively for deer hunting in New Mexico and California.

Best kind of gun there is. Should be good for decades to come if taken care of.
Thanks for posting pics, that's a nice one. Please tell me you are going to keep it and hunt with it, at least shoot it some. It's a family heirloom worth keeping, Joe.
I have not hunted in many years, but I am definitely keeping it as a family heirloom. That is why I want to learn more about it. She gets a little exercise at the range occasionally.

We used to deer hunt together when I was a teen. We used Winchester 94 in 30-30 almost all the time. A lot of fond memories there.
That's a rangefinder reticle. I believe the horizontal wires are 3 mils apart.
BillKilgore we refer to a tang safety as being on the upper tang behind the cocking indicator and the safety as on your rifle as being a lever safety. There was an aftermarket tang safety available for lever safety rifles. The factory didn't offer lever safeties until 1960 at serial #1,000,000. We refer to these rifles as post mil (million).
You are really lucky to have a family heirloom 99. Keep it and pass it down to younger family members. David
Thanks David. I appreciate everybody's feedback.
"It has a brass rotary magazine, but I do not see a counter. "

Counter is the hole in the left side of the receiver. Cartridge number is marked on the side of the rotor and can be seen through the hole.
© 24hourcampfire