Home
"Heaven forbid" Thoughts on reducing? What model and caliber would be your last to go should you decide to do so?

shocked Tough decision but suspect that my pre war R in 300 Savage with extra checking on the flats will outstay others. GW
Tough question. Do you keep one to hunt with, or your best safe queen. I think I'd lean towards the 99T .250-3000 Savage safe queen.
Perish the thought, but it would probably be this 303 my father restocked and gave to me as a birthday gift a few years back.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Nothing original about it, but it's special to me.
Greg your choice would not be a difficult for me also. GW
Pre war 300 EG with Stith

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm not playing this game. I don't like it..... grin grin
Originally Posted by diamondjim

Scary! But its just pretend, Jim. grin We addicts know that it will never happen. GW
As long as it is pretend......I have a 99F in 300 Savage, circa 1957 that has gotten me my last two rifle kills at over 220 yards. It is a shooter, but I like results.

Mentally played that game: a SRC 30-30 would be the last 1899 to go however my last Savage would be an M1920 250-3000.
Jim

I also have a 300 in 57 F model that I liked very well, that was until day before yesterday and I found the same in a 1958 model. Now have two, I am one addicted puppy. crazy GW grin
I could hunt most everything in Oregon with the 99 Carbine in .375. 200 gr Sierra for deer, 220 Hornady for elk and bear. Even have 3 lead ball grouse loads for it. It's super nice to carry.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by oldtimer303
Originally Posted by diamondjim

Scary! But its just pretend, Jim. grin We addicts know that it will never happen. GW

See, THAT's MY problem. I never pretend and never live in fantasy. The ones I didn't want fro real have already left. The ones I have now and will get in the future are going nowhere. IF the person I bought them from wants them back they can have them back for what I paid for them. Each gun I own is in a log book with all the necessary information for disposal AFTER I'm gone.
You are a wise man....., cool
my old engraved 1899 B or my 22HP! dont have any plans on them leaveing.
my old engraved 1899 B or my 22HP! dont have any plans on them leaveing.
Last to go of my 60 Savages would be my 1899 H 30-30 (1914) solid frame. Bought 20 years ago due to caliber and paid too much at the time which was $300. Rifle is all original but has been well worn from being carried thousands of miles in all weather and blood stains on barrel attest to its success for a previous owner.Bore and interior remain excellent so I assume one shot per season filled the freezer.
Have thought that perhaps this is the exact Savage I would have ordered from the local hardware store 100 years ago. Very light and a pleasure to carry in the bush.
BillR
Seeing as how my sons are getting them all, so I know where they're going. Its close but i'd say a 1936 "T" in 30-30 or 1919 250-3000 deluxe rifle.
My last to go would be a EG in 358 that I picked up from a friend in Waterboro Maine
Originally Posted by stanme
My last to go would be a EG in 358 that I picked up from a friend in Waterboro Maine

NICE SNAG...................That's one that's on my "to do" list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My vote goes for hunting rifle 99. Mine is the 99E I bought off the 'Fire as a barreled action and stocked myself. It's now a perfect eastern woods rifle with 20" barrel in 300 Savage. Safe queens not so much.
I'll go first, let the kids worry about it, Joe.
Dad's 300F bought new in 1955(bottom) will never go.The 358's above, like the rest of the 99's I own are expendable. [img:center][Linked Image][/img]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This one.

Steve
Probably my first .22HP.

That's not to say that they couldn't all go "poof"! I've done it before, twice. It all depends on what the item that I can't live without costs. The thing with guns is there is a bazillion of them out there, and a collection can be rebuilt. To me, the fun is in the chase. After the chase is done, and I won, that which I won often loses its luster and I find myself thinking of the next chase. It's been that way with guns, cars, and women. You want to see a big Savage/Winchester/Mauser/Springfield sale, just dangle a nice 1948 MG-TC in front of me... grin
SBrown

Love your 358 EG, I am thinking that if I could find an R in 358 the undertaker wouldn't be able to get the smile off my face. GW
Originally Posted by oldtimer303
SBrown

Love your 358 EG, I am thinking that if I could find an R in 358 the undertaker wouldn't be able to get the smile off my face. GW

I don't blame you a bit!! The "R's" are some of my favorites also.
Good luck in your search.

Steve
I changed my mind. I pick Steve's 358.....dang it's nice.
Steve, the case coloured base and rings are a great touch. Who did the work?
Looks like some of 6mm250's work.
1899-C

Unmolested, original finish (wood and metal), no damage to either wood or metal All original including sights. I don't have the skill to judge with a %, but it's WAY up there. I've had the rifle a few years and (prior to this post) not many people know I have it. If I decide to let it go, Longbeardking has first refusal.

ps. bore is like new
Originally Posted by olgrouser
Steve, the case coloured base and rings are a great touch. Who did the work?

Gary is correct. 6mm250 did the case harden for me.
Originally Posted by crowmagnum
1899-C

Unmolested, original finish (wood and metal), no damage to either wood or metal All original including sights. I don't have the skill to judge with a %, but it's WAY up there. I've had the rifle a few years and (prior to this post) not many people know I have it. If I decide to let it go, Longbeardking has first refusal.

ps. bore is like new

Thank YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am a patient man. I'll wait. I just hope I live long enough..................YOU DESERVE TO OWN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wink wink wink smile
I've been mulling this over since about 8 AM yesterday and I can't come up with an answer. The 1895 round barrel that I've had since 1966 would be hard to part with but so would some of the others. David
David,

Your 1895 SCR with the leather sling ends I'd cradled years back. It's still the holy grail of 1895s and Savages for me.
Originally Posted by wyo1895
I've been mulling this over since about 8 AM yesterday and I can't come up with an answer. The 1895 round barrel that I've had since 1966 would be hard to part with but so would some of the others. David

It's difficult isn't it, even if its pretend. Guess I will just keep them all and let the family sell them at the garage sale. eek GW grin
The garage sale thing is what will most likely happen. Rifles like the 18895 SRC which I've only had for about a year would make the decision tough. The 1895 round barrel isn't nearly as interesting but it's one of the few things I've had that long. David
Blasphemy! (Last Savage to go).

I still regret the 2 99's I have sold in the last 20 years, and while my "accumulation" is no where as nice as LBk's or others collections, I'd have trouble whittling it down to 10 99s :-). -TomT
Originally Posted by TomT
Blasphemy! (Last Savage to go).

I still regret the 2 99's I have sold in the last 20 years, and while my "accumulation" is no where as nice as LBk's or others collections, I'd have trouble whittling it down to 10 99s :-). -TomT

Tom, I am nothing more that a bottom feeder picking up what others are willing to let go. What I have can't hold a candle to others, but what I have makes me EXTREMELY happy and that's all that matters to me.
Most days, it is this one.

[Linked Image]
Aside from guns given as gifts, my Zehner engraved 99.
© 24hourcampfire