Home
Posted By: diamondjim Making meat with 99's...... - 10/22/16
Don't know how many recall, but these two 99's just kind of walked into my life. My ffl guy had a customer who had this 99F in 300 Sav, all original with NO swivels and a 99EG in 358 Win, which had swivel studs. The F is in a bit better shape, but I sure like the EG.

The F is topped with a Leupold M8 6x36. I have taken 3 deer with it so far. It is a great shooter and this was the first kill with 358 and hopefully not the last. I was using open sights. By next year it will have a Leupold big bore 3X with a german # 4 on it.

These deer were taken in our early October anterless rifle season.
Pic one is the 99F deer. Shot at 40 yards. DRT.
Pic two is the EG deer. Shot at 100, open sights, she made it 20 yards. I should have taken exit wound pic of the 358 deer as it was about 10" in long and 4" wide. Bone damage mostly to make it that kind of opening.

Have to thank Jeff(RAS) for the 358 ammo. That 250 soft point ammo sure opened things up..... cool whistle wink grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice way to start the fall! Congrats.
cool!
awesome Jim! Glad your hunting year is starting out bloody and Savage-like!

dave
Good job! I'm glad it's you and not me that had to field dress that second one wink grin
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Good job! I'm glad it's you and not me that had to field dress that second one wink grin

No kidding!!! Even my brother, who has hunted for 45 years, turned away.....ha ha, but dead is dead. cool
Yah, seen some bad ones hunting the brush in Minnesota. You shot at whatever was brown and hoped for the best. Ya gotta lead 'em sometimes grin
Mmmm boy!
Originally Posted by Lightfoot

Sounds and looks like the bullet almost field dressed it.
Damned near did.....I guess my eyes and open sights at 100 yareds aren't as good as they used to be...... crazy
Posted By: Sbrown Re: Making meat with 99's...... - 10/22/16
Good deal Jim, looks like venison for the winter!!

Steve
Nice work.. Sold my 99's in .300 and 358, kind of miss them at times.. Nice rifles..
What you do, scare the first one to death? I don't see any blood. Good hunting, nice start to the season, Joe.
Posted By: JeffG Re: Making meat with 99's...... - 10/22/16
I'm jealous! I went out and all I got was cold and wet.
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
What you do, scare the first one to death? I don't see any blood. Good hunting, nice start to the season, Joe.

40 yard neck shot, Joe
Posted By: RAS Re: Making meat with 99's...... - 10/22/16
Cool!!!

I bless all my ammo before departure sans the reason for the deer you harvested. smile

I killed a buck with my 358EG last year and that round is DEVASTING!!! I would love to take this gun out west one day to chase elk in the timber.

Great job Jim. Taking game with 99s, is as good as it gets.

Posted By: RAS Re: Making meat with 99's...... - 10/22/16
Jim,

BTW, I might have an extra box of 358 Silvertips if you really need it. Cost $0

Jeff

Pm is incoming.
Jim

Can't beat a 300 Savage 99F for taking meat. The blood from the 358 kill looks more like it was hit by an 18 wheeler. Nice way to start the season out. GW
Originally Posted by diamondjim
Pic two is the EG deer. Shot at 100, open sights, she made it 20 yards. I should have taken exit wound pic of the 358 deer as it was about 10" in long and 4" wide. Bone damage mostly to make it that kind of opening.

Have to thank Jeff(RAS) for the 358 ammo. That 250 soft point ammo sure opened things up..... cool whistle wink grin

250 soft point made by whom? Was that factory ammo or handloaded? Was the bone damage from a shoulder exit? Just curious. I've got a BLR (can I say that in a savage 99 thread laugh ) in .358 W and I've thought about loading 250's in it. I've been running 200 gr Hornady Interlocks, both spire point and round nose bullets. They get the job done, but I had a 200 grain spire point lodge in the off side shoulder ball joint on a quartering away shot. His lungs were toast though and he didn't run far. But I would have preferred an exit and I'm sure a 250 would have.
Originally Posted by RAS
Jim,

BTW, I might have an extra box of 358 Silvertips if you really need it. Cost $0

Jeff

OK, if I'd read a little further sounds like it was factory Winchester ammo. I have a few rounds of factory loaded 200 gr Silvertips, but I've not seen any 250 gr around although I know they made it years ago.
Not factory ammo that I used, but it worked great.
Congrads Brother! were still bow hunting here!
Nice work!
That river antler less season sucks. They should cancel it... or expand it so my land qualifies!! grin

Nice job.
Is that the .358 bullet hole from the 250 gr Silvertip that "really opened things up" ??

[Linked Image]
No. A 250 grain soft point handload.
As you know DiamondJim I like the medium bores. My 358 99 hasn't been out for a few years. Will probably use that 9.3 X 62 I bought from you, this season. In the 358 I have been using the 200 gr Remington bulk bullets from Midway. The pointed for open country and the round nose for brush. Both drop deer with one shot so far. In the special weapon season for Missouri I'm going to use a Barnes X in 180 gr out of my Lone Eagle pistol - 358 Winchester.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Making meat with 99's...... - 10/24/16
Lone Eagle... wow!
Originally Posted by Rick99

My sister's deceased brother in law designed and built a number of these back in the 60's & 70's before financial problems arose and he let go of the manufacturing rights to this pistol. There's still a couple of the original's left in the family. Many that first saw them scoffed at them.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Making meat with 99's...... - 10/24/16
Shooting a center fire rifle cartridge in a hand gun in the 60's-70's was something new, for sure. That is about the time that TC brought out their pistol. It started in 1967 with pistol rounds and slowly worked its way to the bigger stuff.
I had a Contender in 35 Rem with 14" bbl and 4X TC Lobo scope. Wouldn't mind having that one back, Joe.
© 24hourcampfire