Home
Posted By: jorgeI OCTAGONAL BARREL 99 303 SAVAGE - 10/25/16
Gents, I just ran across one at a pawn shop. It is in unbelievably good shape. Wood is near mint and CCH is about all there on the lever. receiver has a gorgeous patina. Standard irons it looked like and the barrel is long. Is a grand too much?
Depends on what you mean by "receiver has a gorgeous patina".

Any chance you can grab a picture or two? Just so we can rule out that it's not refinished.
Definitively not refinished. That much I can tell. Looks exactly like my Takedown and I know that one has not been.
Barrel shape has an impact, too, Jorge. Round, ½ round, octagon? Bore condition is a big factor too if you plan on shooting it. If it's a round barreled 1899A (round barrel), then a grand would be high-ish as a price. More reasonable if it's an 1899B or C.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Definitively not refinished. That much I can tell. Looks exactly like my Takedown and I know that one has not been.

Depends on the vintage of your takedown. Prior to 1919 the rifles had a mirror blue finish, after that they had a matte blue. Sorry if you know all this, just wanting to be sure.. All octagons were made prior to 1919 and so they should have the mirror blue finish.

Mirror blue:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
But with wear the mirror blue disappears..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
correct,mirror blue. Barrel is in great shape inside & out, full octagon
Sweet.. For a really nice one a grand isn't out of order.
correct,mirror blue. Barrel is in great shape inside & out, full octagon

For a grand you should be tripping over yourself trying to get to it before it's gone.
How long is the barrel extra long adds lots of money over 26"
Nice. What is the ratio of pawn shop visits to finding a nice Savage at a good price?
the barrel is at least 26". It's in the bag, I'll pick it up Thursday. He's holding it for me.
the barrel is at least 26". It's in the bag, I'll pick it up Thursday. He's holding it for me.

SMART move...............................
Originally Posted by pwomble
Nice. What is the ratio of pawn shop visits to finding a nice Savage at a good price?

about 1/1000 for me
Good Grab, post pics if you Can!
It came home today, gents. I will post pictures this evening. Serial number in the 49,800 range. Longest barreled Savage I've ever seen and as previously mentioned, it's octagonal. 303 Savage Model 1899.
So, how long is it?? Standard is 26" from muzzle to bolt face. Enquiring minds...
26" I'm pretty sure.
26" I'm pretty sure.

GFY. grin How do these things end in Florida?
As promised, PICS. SERNO is 49653
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The rear sight is from a much later model 99. What's the front sight look like?

But, it looks to be in good condition.

I think the wood has been redone though.
[Linked Image]

I had a friend of mine look at it and we compared it to a reworked wood one. He did not seem to think so, but I suppose it will be hard to ascertain.
no tape measure on the barrel?????????????? wink

norm
How about this sight?

[Linked Image]

Nope, you need a Rocky Mountain semi buckhorn. Quite a bit longer.
Picture? and where may I find one?
I think this is the one you need
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
[Linked Image]

Thanks! now to find one!
Keep an eye on ebay.
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
[Linked Image]

Thanks! now to find one!

I recently sent one to norm in a batch of parts, don't know if he would part with it but he had one at least.
Originally Posted by norm99
no tape measure on the barrel?????????????? wink

norm

Norm: 25" to the edge of the receiver so if you take it to the threads inside 26".
How about this sight?

[Linked Image]

Late `20's into the `30's. Also used on the .22's.
Thanks. On the hunt for one right now, but to a neophyte , it's confusing.
Thanks. On the hunt for one right now, but to a neophyte , it's confusing.

They all look the same to me! That's why I got one with a Malcolm scope on it, Joe.
Posted By: jorgeI Range Results 99 303 SAVAGE - 10/30/16
Loaded up some 180r Speer RNs that came with the 300 Savage I bought from Gunner. I looked up in an old Cartridges of The World bool and found that 29gr of IMR 3031 was a "factory duplicate load" for the 180 at 2150 fps. Not so, here are the results o it and two other loads.

Brass : PRVI
Primer: WLR
OAL: 2.530 (no issues w Rotary Mag.

29/3031: 140 fps but I'm just not believing that
30/4064: 1983,67, 27
30/4895: 1942,65,02
All very smooth extraction and no signs of pressure

They all seemed to group well, but very low (which might account for the rear sight).
I've done a search here and elsewhere and have loaded up the following:
3031: 31
4064: 32.5
4895: 32.5

Question is, what should be my target MV? Cartridges Of the World says 2150 but I can't seem to find any useable data.

Also, the safety's a bit loose as it tends to move forward and lock every couple of shots.
How different are these two?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Or..

[Linked Image]
Last one was used from around 1910 to 1913.
© 24hourcampfire