Home
Posted By: JTC Announcement - 10/25/16
Effective this week I have retired as historian for Savage, Steven and A.H. Fox. Thank you all for your inquiries over the years. I am pleased to have gotten to know many of you at Fests or personally.

Going forward, you will be able to continue to have your Savage firearms researched. The records are going back to Savage and you may send your inquiries to Savage Arms, Historical Information, 100 Springdale Rd., Westfield, MA. 01085

Signing off and Thank you. John T. Callahan

Posted By: kellory Re: Announcement - 10/25/16
Enjoy your retirement. Did you also cover the Sterlingworth line for A.H. Fox? I have one myself.(12ga. SxS)
Posted By: Shortgrub Re: Announcement - 10/25/16
My thanks for all that you have contributed to the fans of Savage arms. I have not been here as long as a lot of the group but your dedication has not gone unnoticed. Safe journeys.
Posted By: FUG1899 Re: Announcement - 10/25/16
Sorry to see you John hope you enjoy your extra time.

Best Doug
Posted By: BillR Re: Announcement - 10/25/16
Special thanks for all the great information that you have provided over the years.
BillR
Posted By: JeffG Re: Announcement - 10/25/16
Your personal touch will be missed, enjoy Your well-earned quiet!
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Announcement - 10/25/16
Enjoy your retirement!

I knew I should have sent for those last letters. Will miss having you drop in with pearls of Savage history. Maybe you can still do that from time to time?

Is today your last day? When will Savage be up and running to provide letters? I'm guessing that the only info will be what they can copy from the records...so sad.

Thinking of doing any publishing?
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Announcement - 10/25/16
Sad to see you go. David
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Announcement - 10/25/16
Thank for for your patience over the years. The information you have shared with me has contributed greatly to what I now look for in a Savage rifle. This is certainly the end of an era for me. I can't thank you enough for selling me the Sterlingworth 45-70 double rifle, and providing me with the history behind it. Please stay in touch.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Announcement - 10/25/16
Don't be a stranger here, and as others have said, thank you for the education you've provided over the years!
Posted By: melchung Re: Announcement - 10/25/16
Mr. Callahan: something tells me that you will be busier after retirement. I had the pleasure of meeting you at the plant in Westfield - years ago. I was introduced to you by Effie in product service and I was at Savage for factory training. You helped me on a 99 receiver. Enjoy your retirement! Mel Chung from Hawaii.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Announcement - 10/26/16
John its been Great to have Know and met you at the Fests! Enjoy your retirement! I have kept the notes, from you sent with my Letters! Knew I should have gotten my 22HP lettered! Take care Friend! John
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Announcement - 10/26/16
Thank you John, you made an honest gal out of my Malcolm scoped H. It was nice to learn Bubba never touched her, and thanks for passing the Sterlingworth on to LBK. He shared his visit with you and pics of the 45-70. Beautiful gun. Thanks again, Joe.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Announcement - 10/26/16
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
Thank you John, you made an honest gal out of my Malcolm scoped H. It was nice to learn Bubba never touched her, and thanks for passing the Sterlingworth on to LBK. He shared his visit with you and pics of the 45-70. Beautiful gun. Thanks again, Joe.

Yeah, Joe. This is another one I waited quite a spell to acquire. Patience and perseverance pays off. It IS a fun gun to shoot and has what I consider a GREAT history.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/9718602/Seems_like_a_great_deal_O/T._W
Posted By: steve99 Re: Announcement - 10/26/16
Thank you for all your help with the Savage 22 slide actions John, particularly the 1909's.
Posted By: GeneB Re: Announcement - 10/26/16
Thank you John for your service to us collectors, I really appreciated the extra effort you often put into your replies to my inquiries on early Savage 22 rifles, I know it was not the area you were most familiar with. The information I have gotten from you over the years has been a great help (and often, when opening your letter and finding extras, a big surprise).
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Announcement - 10/26/16
John, this is a sad day for most of us, but hopefully heralds good changes for you. I've got half a dozen rifles that I never got around to lettering and now I'm going to kick myself for years for not getting them while you were in charge.

Best wishes to you, and I hope you find the time (and the patience) to be on the campfire often.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Announcement - 10/26/16
End of an era. Enjoy your retirement.

What does a guy that researches Savages do for fun? grin
Posted By: cmhjohn Re: Announcement - 10/26/16
John,
Really sorry to know you are no longer the Savage Historian but happy for you personally that you have chosen to join the ranks of us "old retired guys". Do hope you enjoy your retirement and hope to hear from you on the forum and see you at future Fests.
Also want to say many thanks for the many things you have done for myself and other avid collectors during your time as historian. You are appreciated and will be missed.
JW
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Announcement - 10/26/16
Thanks for all your help, John. Be safe, have fun, and don't be a stranger!
Posted By: Loggah Re: Announcement - 10/26/16
John, BUMMER !!!!!! eek well i hope you well in your retirement! the letters will not have your personal touch anymore, thanks for all your time and favors. Don
Posted By: RAS Re: Announcement - 10/26/16
The best of luck John!

Thanks for replacing that 1899 Deluxe letter that Uncle Sam lost on one of my moves.

All the best
Posted By: 21 Re: Announcement - 10/26/16
Thanks and enjoy your retirement!
Posted By: JohnL Re: Announcement - 10/26/16
Mr. Callahan,

I hope you enjoy you're retirement. Of course, my timing is impeccable because I just mailed you an enquiry and check last Saturday (10/22). Please tear it up and I'll send another to the new address. Again, I wish you a very happy retirement.

John
Posted By: Phil99 Re: Announcement - 10/27/16
Many thanks for the information you've shared, in the factory letters and on this site. Enjoy your retirement.

Rod
Posted By: norm99 Re: Announcement - 10/27/16
Originally Posted by Calhoun
John, this is a sad day for most of us, but hopefully heralds good changes for you. I've got half a dozen rifles that I never got around to lettering and now I'm going to kick myself for years for not getting them while you were in charge.

Best wishes to you, and I hope you find the time (and the patience) to be on the campfire often.

only half a dozen Rory i have about 40 when dollar was par did'nt have the coin now at 25-30 cents on the dollar crazy eek

sorry to see you go John have fun and enjoy.

Norm
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: Announcement - 10/27/16
Mr callahan

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with the fire. Sadly I will miss your personal touch and years of experience. GW
Posted By: norm99 Re: Announcement - 10/27/16
any body know the prices yet?????????????????????????????

norm
Posted By: 99trix Re: Announcement - 10/27/16
All the best John. It was a real pleasure any dealings that I had with you and great to get to meet you at Doug's. You will be missed. Hopefully you find more time to enjoy your railway passion. Lots great packages here Rocky Mountaineer
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Announcement - 10/27/16
Best of wishes on your retirement John.

On a good note that means you can hang around here a bit more and just be one of the guys instead of the "historian" from now on, stick around.
Posted By: svg250 Re: Announcement - 10/27/16
Thanks for all the info, I always looked forward to checking the mail after I sent away for a factory letter from you. Good luck and enjoy the time off.
Posted By: savage1756 Re: Announcement - 10/27/16
Mr. Callahan,

Best wishes on your retirement. I'm sorry I came on the scene so late but you did help me with my .250-3000 TD Mannlicher. Take care and thank you!
Posted By: stanme Re: Announcement - 10/28/16
John, very nice to have met you in Waterboro Maine a few years back. Thank you for the many letters you've done for me. We'll miss you, and thank you again.
Posted By: boswellbuckhunter Re: Announcement - 10/31/16

Enjoy your retirement John...
Posted By: JohnL Re: Announcement - 11/02/16
Originally Posted by norm99

norm

I got my letter returned to sender that I sent to Mr. Callahan's address a week before his retirement announcement. So I went to the Savage Arms website and found a historical department with an address for requests about Savage firearms - no prices quoted. Then I called Savage and found a transfer to the historical department that had the same recorded info as the website - with no prices quoted. So I sent another letter to Savage with my information with a request for a letter for my pistol and no payment included. Let's see what happens.

John
Posted By: norm99 Re: Announcement - 11/02/16
interesting ,, i wonder if they are computerizing them?

norm
Posted By: pdcrig Re: Announcement - 02/07/17
Thanks for your dedication and passion for this company and this forum over the years. Hopefully the folks at Savage will be half as competent and helpful in the future. They've got big shoes to fill.
Posted By: norm99 Re: Announcement - 02/24/17
Originally Posted by JohnL
Originally Posted by norm99

norm

I got my letter returned to sender that I sent to Mr. Callahan's address a week before his retirement announcement. So I went to the Savage Arms website and found a historical department with an address for requests about Savage firearms - no prices quoted. Then I called Savage and found a transfer to the historical department that had the same recorded info as the website - with no prices quoted. So I sent another letter to Savage with my information with a request for a letter for my pistol and no payment included. Let's see what happens.

John

Any feed back on this yet, where do we stand???????

norm
© 24hourcampfire