Home
Posted By: pacecars Looking for a .250 shooter - 10/25/16
Anyone have a shooter .250 or know of one for sale? Need one to hunt with. Prefer drilled and tapped and affordable. Please PM me
What are you looking to spend?
Preferably under $700
For that price I think the 99R is your best bet. Probably the best shooter as well.
Posted By: RAS Re: Looking for a .250 shooter - 10/25/16
Does it have to a 99?

There are a few bolt guns out there as well.
The R is actually my favorite
I love my little R in 250.

[Linked Image]
Second that. My 250 R was my first 99, love it, Joe.
Posted By: RAS Re: Looking for a .250 shooter - 10/28/16
Ok, the R it is then. Highly recommend them with a Leupold Westerner 8x with Target Dot.

[Linked Image]

Pre-war 99R's in 250 are sexy.

[Linked Image]
I prefer the pre war II R as it is lighter and more appealing. Might cause you to miss seeing a deer from a tree stand as the pre war's are hard to take your eyes off. You might find a shooter grade pre war R in your price range if your are patient. GW
Posted By: OldNo7 Re: Looking for a .250 shooter - 10/29/16
Originally Posted by Steelhead
[Linked Image]

I'll send YOU a PM Message, as I know where there's one with a peep sight on it -- not sure if it is D&Td but you could call to check.

It looks like the one in the pix above, but some doofus added "white line spacers" at the grip and butt, but I've taken a close look and I believe that they can be removed and the grip cap and butt plate will line up OK.

If you don't jump on it, then we can post the link here for all.

Old No7
Posted By: RAS Re: Looking for a .250 shooter - 10/29/16

[Linked Image]

Scott,

Does that one have 3 point checkering? Cant tell by the pic. Super nice rifle.

Jeff
Yes it does Jeff

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by OldNo7
[Linked Image]

I'll send YOU a PM Message, as I know where there's one with a peep sight on it -- not sure if it is D&Td but you could call to check.

It looks like the one in the pix above, but some doofus added "white line spacers" at the grip and butt, but I've taken a close look and I believe that they can be removed and the grip cap and butt plate will line up OK.

If you don't jump on it, then we can post the link here for all.

Old No7

Thanks, but I have that one.
Posted By: ed7189 Re: Looking for a .250 shooter - 10/30/16
Steelhead, I would be interested in it if pacecar doesn't take. Thanks.
Posted By: RAS Re: Looking for a .250 shooter - 10/30/16
SH,

Thanks. Though for the OP, he isn't getting your R for $750 clams. Lol.

That is a really super clean rifle. I have one as well but it does not have the condition of yours and mine is 2 point. Also, the gun is all correct but someone added a light coat of Tru Oil on it.
Originally Posted by ed7189
Steelhead, I would be interested in it if pacecar doesn't take. Thanks.

I never said anything about selling, just that I think Pre-war R's are sexy.

That said, everything I have, except my integrity, is for sale. Unfortunately $700 will not buy the rifle pictured.

Posted By: Calhoun Re: Looking for a .250 shooter - 10/31/16
That's a really, really nice early 99R - and in 250. You done good with that one. Only one I've managed to snag in 250 is gray and d&t.
Thanks guys. I ended up spending the .250 money on a Steyr Professional 7x64 so will have to wait a little while for the 99.

Steelie that is a great looking R. Might have to bite the bullet and spend some more for one like that
Yuk, no way I'd buy a Steyr over a 99.

That said, if I was looking for a sexy Savage, I'd drop the coin on a 300 Savage. YMMV
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Looking for a .250 shooter - 11/01/16
Yuk, no way I'd buy a Steyr over a 99.

That said, if I was looking for a sexy Savage, I'd drop the coin on a 300 Savage. YMMV

Gotta agree with the comment about the Steyr. The last aesthetically pleasing rifle Steyr made was the M1952 Mannlicher-Schoenauer, IMO. Now offer me one of those, or an older model than that, and the 99 would definitely have to wait a bit.

One thing about shooting a .250 99R is you never know you fired it except for the muzzle blast. Recoil is pretty soft due to the 15 pounds or so that they weigh. grin
Posted By: Sbrown Re: Looking for a .250 shooter - 11/01/16
[Linked Image]

The weight of a pre war R IMO even with the above lightweifht scope rig is not bad. I plan on this 250 Sav. rig seeing some woods time this month!

Steve
Was that Weaver J2.5 on there when you bought it?

That gun is from the era of factory mounted 330 or 29S scopes.
The Steyr is ugly as hell but the stock fits me well for off hand shooting and the price was too good to pass up. I have had several Model Ms and they all have shot under 1/2 inch with several going under a 1/4 inch consistently. I have an R in .300 but have never had one in .250
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Looking for a .250 shooter - 11/01/16
Finding a prewar 99R in 250 isn't easy.. In fact it's bloody hard to do. So if that's what you want, be prepared to exercise patience and hoard your dollar bills cuz it probably won't be cheap.

I've had 8 or so prewar 99R's and 99RS's, but all have been in 300 Savage except one. And that one is a 250, but I had to settle for extra holes and a lot of gray.
Most .250s I have been finding are gray rats, some ok and some crap. I am thinking Calhoun is right and if I want a nice one I will plan on spending more. This is about the best looking one I have found at a decent price: [Linked Image]
That's a postwar 99R, they come up more often but still bring a premium. Things like recoil pads help bring the price back down tho. grin

A prewar 99R's forearm is different from the postwar's by not being any wider than the receiver, but it still has a rounded end rather than a schnabel end, plus the prewar has 2 lines around the end and the forearm checkering goes all the way under. Really, the prewar 99R looks a lot like the 1950's 99F except for not having a pencil thin barrel and hollowed out buttstock.

Here's my prewar 250:

[Linked Image]
The one I posted is from 1953. At least they didn't chop the stock when they added the pad. I haven't found any Pre war Rs under $1000, even though some had pads or compasses added.
Posted By: Sbrown Re: Looking for a .250 shooter - 11/01/16
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Was that Weaver J2.5 on there when you bought it?

That gun is from the era of factory mounted 330 or 29S scopes.

Yes.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Looking for a .250 shooter - 11/01/16
Here is my 1939 300. it has real nice wood.

[img]http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc437/jorgeIg/99Rstock_zpsvndkapcj.jpg?t=1477953425[/img]

[img]http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc437/jorgeIg/99Rrcvr_zpswbc6gzqz.jpg?t=1477953559[/img]

[img]http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc437/jorgeIg/99Rfore_zpsii72lohz.jpg?t=1477953651[/img]
Very nice
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Looking for a .250 shooter - 11/02/16
Thanks, Calhoun. I don't know why Photobucket did that, but thanks again
Posted By: hatari Re: Looking for a .250 shooter - 11/02/16
Beauty!

Pre-war. Great stuff right there.
© 24hourcampfire