Home
Hey Guys,

I've got a couple of Savage 99's but never had a takedown.

I'm looking at a Takedown Savage 99.

What do I need to be aware of?

If they loosen up, can a person adjust them so they are tight again or not.

School me.

Should I avoid takedowns entirely?

Thanks,

Jerry
There is a procedure for tightening the threads so it can be done.

I'd gauge the purchase on the relative condition of the piece and not be deterred by the takedown feature. If I hunt whitetails again it will be with a G in .300 Sav.
Be careful - some have only lasted 80 - 100 years.

(sorry - I know you had a serious question but couldn't help it.)
Offhand, my TD's are just as accurate as my solid frames, Joe.
Thanks Guys,

Keep it coming, especially if anyone thinks the Takedowns are something to avoid.

Thanks,

Jerry
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
Offhand, my TD's are just as accurate as my solid frames, Joe.

Same here. I have a 300 99G that is really super accurate. No misses with it yet.
First of all, don't be taking it apart at every opportunity. When you do take it apart, be gentle- don't bang it together. Keep the threads clean and lubed, good oil or light grease.

A loose TD can be a good bargaining chip with a seller.

If it's just a bit loose, there's a sticky around here somewhere describing how to tighten the threads.

There's no reason a tight takedown shouldn't be as accurate as a solid frame. I prefer takedowns and they all shoot just fine.
Takedown forearms are often cracked from careless removal, or use as leverage to unscrew the barrel...that rarely happens with non-takedowns.

...that's all I got, oh, and takedowns are usually easier to remove the barrel from when it comes time to switch barrels.
optics are a challenge with a take down..

plab
You guys who have been around for a while have heard this before. The takedown with the cow elk in my thumbnail photo with my posts has had the threads tightened (It no longer comes apart). It shoots MOA groups regularly. I also have several TD's with Lightfoot mounts that shoot very well. I think the one-piece Lightfoot mount helps keep the barrel from moving relative to the receiver. Any good tight TD should shoot accurately without modification. David
Make sure you open the action before you try to unscrew the barrel.

If they are hard to undo I just leave them as is rather than taking a chance at messing something up. It might have been set solid at some time.

Since barrels can be switched, with some fitting, you want to verify the barrel address is correct for the time period.
© 24hourcampfire