Home
Posted By: RAS What would you rather have? - 11/01/16
All:

I have had conversations with two members here recently. The topic of non-factory sling swivels came up on 99s.

What would you rather have? Same money for both. Same model, cal, year ect..

A. A gun in 99% condition but with non factory sling swivels, tastefully done.

B. A gun in 85% condition but all original.

Me? B
Not really into 85% guns if collectors. Shooters maybe.
B.

B if I don't have one in that model or caliber. Use it until I could find a better one. Then sell. If the model/caliber is fairly commong, I'd pass on both.
Given they are the same otherwise.. I'd have to choose both. grin
Posted By: norm99 Re: What would you rather have? - 11/01/16
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Given they are the same otherwise.. I'd have to choose both. grin

WINNER THERE I WOULD PROBABLY DO THE SAME.

norm
Posted By: S99VG Re: What would you rather have? - 11/01/16
That's really not enough of a distinction to discount either. I've seen very nice 99s with Model 70 type swivels installed and they look great. I'm not a fan of the look of detachable studs, but I can't fault their functionality. What I haven't seen are too many of are 99s with the studs, or eyes, that were made for clip on swivels. These would be correct for pre-war guns. On the same token I've also seen "85%" guns that begged to be taken home. I'm afraid I too am in the camp of both.
Posted By: JeffG Re: What would you rather have? - 11/02/16
I'm sure glad you REAL collectors are this picky!

...that leaves more 85% guns with swivels for we accumulators to scrounge up!
Originally Posted by JeffG
I'm sure glad some of you REAL collectors are this picky!

...that leaves more 85% guns with swivels for we accumulators to scrounge up!

I added to your thought. I have had the opportunity to see some HUGE collections from some of THE MOST knowledgeable collectors I know. EVERY collection has some MINT guns, BUT they also have some (many) guns that are FAR LESS than mint. I don't get worked up over studs as long as they aren't hack jobs. It boils down to "whatever floats your boat". MY guns make ME happy and that's all that counts. I had an "unfired" 99K once. I still have the "K", but it's no longer unfired.
B

dave
I guess B, because I seldom use a sling and owning an 85% finish gun will save me time over buying a 99% gun.

I figure it will take me a few years to get the 99% gun to 85% and who knows if how much time we have left.

I appreciate time savers..
Posted By: S99VG Re: What would you rather have? - 11/02/16
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I guess B, because I seldom use a sling and owning an 85% finish gun will save me time over buying a 99% gun.

I figure it will take me a few years to get the 99% gun to 85% and who knows if how much time we have left.

Can't argue with this logic. Time is special!
Posted By: 99guy Re: What would you rather have? - 11/02/16
C

85% gun with non factory swivels.

cool
"B" GW
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: What would you rather have? - 11/02/16
the way I use guns I'd rather have the "A".

actually, I probably only spend the money to get a "B"
rifle with studs.
Posted By: RAS Re: What would you rather have? - 11/02/16
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Lol
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: What would you rather have? - 11/05/16
B , then I'd add sling swivels

Mike
A,
I'd probably go with A too. At this point I have enough "shooters" and need to start concentrating on quality "collectors".
Posted By: Rick99 Re: What would you rather have? - 11/07/16
A, given "tastefully done".
© 24hourcampfire