Home
Posted By: TC_OR Model 99 Indentification Help - 12/07/16
I have a 99 with a barrel band and carbine buttplate, but the serial number shows up for 1918-1919. 2013xx The forestock, buttstock, buttstock plate, barrel, and receiver all have matching serial numbers. Top is stamped with Savage Model 99. I was told that the barrel bands were not made until the 30's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Oooooh...

Gonna need pictures for this one. Any chance you can upload a few to photobucket or flickr and give us a link to them?

Welcome to the campfire, by the way!
Sure thing, let me snap a few and upload
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Can you double check the serial number? That to me sure looks like a V(ersion)2-2 99H, but that serial number range should be from 339,xxx to 346,xxx.

Other possibilities are that it was sent back to Savage when they were doing the V2-2 and it got fitted with that stock, or that it was never finished and sold until the 1930's.

Compliments of Rick99, some data on 99H's:

The V2-2 is fifth from the bottom here:
[Linked Image]

Details here of the versions:
[Linked Image]
Yeah, the S/N is the same on all the parts(forearm, underside barrel, bottom receiver, under buttplate, and on inside buttplate) 2013xx
With Savage never say never. David
Your rifle is not the first I have found with an earlier serial. In my data I have three other serials in this same model variation; 187xxx, 230xxx, and 235xxx. The earliest serial in the variation, so far, has been 340xxx.

Appears that Savage decided to do some cleanup of old receivers that were laying around. This variation was produced during some hard times with very low 99 productions.

I think these receivers were serial numbered and still in the white when put back into the production line years later. The stamping on the receiver ring would have been added before heat treat and assembly.
This would be an interesting one to letter.

Has anyone successfully lettered a rifle since JTC retired?
The 187xxx rifle was lettered. The production date was blank but the ship date was 1932. The later stamping on the receiver ring of an early rifle is a great indicator that the rifle was a late assemble or that it has been back to the factory for rework such as re-barreling from low pressure caliber to a high pressure version.

I have heard from no one about letters since JTC posted that he was no longer doing letters. I've checked the Savage website for info on the subject but it just shows that it is under construction. The log entries can be very hard to read. Not sure what kind of letters we will get in the future. I guess we just wait and see.
Awesome, thanks for the information everyone. I picked it up a couple years ago for $350, hopefully I didn't pay too much...shoots great though I need to get setup to reload.
The scope and mounts on that gun are probably worth close to what you paid for the gun.

I'd say you done good.
Wow, really? Looks to be a Lyman Alaskan All-Weather 2 1/2 power
If it's a Lyman Alaskan, then the scope and bases are probably worth MORE than you paid. Heck, the scope itself is close to that on ebay sometimes.
Originally Posted by Rick99

The log entries can be very hard to read.

I sure hope Savage Arms is committed to historical information/letters. We had a good deal at $25. Cody is $75 last I checked. eek

[Linked Image]

I just realized that I have a rifle on the same page!!!! laugh

While we are on this subject, what does it say on line 129120?
Originally Posted by Rick99
While we are on this subject, what does it say on line 129120?

JTC better train the next guy.

Looks like,.. engraved, name?,..stock?, FWT, 303, round, accepted 10-13-12, shipped 10-15-12, to W.S.Wilson
The description column is fuzzy.
© 24hourcampfire