Home
Never seen one, except in de Haas' "Mr. Single Shot's Project Book" (may not be exact title, but you get the idea), and wondered if anybody has one, and what vintage is it (made in which factory)? Is it original or made up from parts?
Not me.
Never seen a 219 except in .22H, .219 (rarely) & .30-30. Bolt action 23 in .25-20 & .32-20 occassionaly tho hard to find clean examples with magazine.
I heard that they were made in 32-20 & 25=20 but have never seen one!
8 years ago - http://www.gunauction.com/buy/8683799

I thought I had a scan of some catalog pages listing the combinations - will add that if I can find it, things seem to get 'misplaced' in a computer or in photobucket just like anywhere else.
Gene, the "combination gun" in .32-20 was listed in a number of catalogs, as was the plain rifle without a shotgun/forend set. But they seem VERY scarce in both forms.

I wonder why--the .32-20 was extremely popular when the 219 was first introduced. The few they made may have got sold to rural people who "used them up"!

Thanks for the ad link! That gun looks to me like it may have been made up from several guns (no problem, I have a couple like that). The "loose" forend could be an indication that it is such a "hybrid." I can't tell if the forend is really the slightly different "shotgun" version, but it looks like it to me. Many of the combo sets got broken up, or the barrel and/or forend of one part of the set lost in a move, etc.

I would, however, have bought it in a heartbeat at that price!!!!!
I once had a mint example in 22 Hornet. I've seen them in 30-30. I remembering it piercing primers. Rather than figuring out the problem, I just traded it off. Wish I'd have kept it now.
I have one in 25-20,with a spare 30-30,and 410 barrels. makes a nice set . I haven't seen one in 32-20 YET ! smile
Don, wouldn't it be a hoot if that 3-barrel set was the one my dad had 30 years ago- .25-20, .30-30, and .410. He had a .22 Hornet barrel and a 20 gauge barrel lined up to be fitted too, but he passed before he could finish them. I'm pretty sure he bought it as a .25-20 and added to it.

I never saw a .32-20 either.
Mine came as a 25-20 also! i had the 30-30 barrel before i even had the 25-20 rifle. then i found a 410 barrel. The case i have only holds the three barrels,but the search for barrels still gos on !!! grin
I have seen 25-20, but never a 32-20. Several years back a gun shop in my area had a Winchester M43 in 25-20 on consignment with a couple of Savage 219s, but I didnt look at them to check the calibers.
I'm at 25-20, 30-30, 16 ga, 20 ga, 28 ga and a 410 now, still haven't tripped over a 32-20 as of now.
mad Dog how about the 22Hornet or the 22shot do you see them??
i have a 22 hornet but bubba played with the stocks and a real nice 30-30.

norm
I have an early Utica-made 220 .410 with a .25-20 barrel added (.410 forearms fit rifles perfectly, in my experience) and a 219B .22 Hornet with an added 20 guage barrel and forend.

I've had a bunch more and different, but kept these because of high condition and I handload for these calibers. Had a .25-35 (relined a bad .30-30 bore) which was super, but gave it to my son. It has a 12 guage barrel and forend added (OWWWWW!).
Originally Posted by FUG1899
mad Dog how about the 22Hornet or the 22shot do you see them??

Used to own a 22 Hornet, traded it to Les for something that I can't even remember now.

Good to know Norm has some trading material!
Someone had to modify this one but still interesting.

I assume the R.F. = Rimfire which would be the shot shell? The bore is rifled. Why would a 9mm RF barrel be rifles?

The .22 shot the Doug referenced and this 9mm would require a rimfire firing pin...correct?

Attached picture Capture - Sav 219 9mm RF brl 2.JPG
I remember Doug talking about a 9mm smoothbore a few years back, I was thinking thats what it originally was before it was rechambered to 357.

This 30-40 Krag showed up at SS and I found it real neat. Never seen the serial number struck on the side and in such large numbers.

[Linked Image]
I have a .30-30, #3254 and it has the same proofs, date stamp locations and serial number size.

I have a note that serial might not have started till 1958. (Might have been from you). May be the size changed with the move in 1960?

.30-40 is a step up in pressure. I wounder if it had anything special done to it or are they all capable of handling that pressure?

Some pictures provided by Fug in regards to the 219's/220's and the combo sets.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Rick99

I have a note that serial might not have started till 1958. (Might have been from you). May be the size changed with the move in 1960?

Ya, I think I did mention that. Also, the Chicopee barrels were grooved for adding a scope where as the Utica's weren't.

Rory, I've never noticed that before. I wonder if a set of 12 ga barrels can be fitted to my 430 20 ga?
Originally Posted by Rick99

.30-40 is a step up in pressure. I wounder if it had anything special done to it or are they all capable of handling that pressure?

Actually .30-40 runs at pretty mild pressures (unless in the hands of a wild eyed handloader) out of deference to the Krag-Jörgensen bolt guns- 40,000 psi tops, certainly in the neighborhood as a .30-30. Where one might get in trouble is its much larger case diameter than the .30-30, dictating a much thinner cross section of steel over the chamber. The shotgun barrels are even thinner, you may say, but remember also they only need to hold 15,000psi max- and that in the smaller gauges only.
I always thought the .30-40 was close to the .303 British but after checking the manuals I see that it is not. Thanks for the education. smile
I knew two guys in Idaho that had 219 .30-30s rechambered to .30-40. One was redone because the owner wanted heavier bullets to hunt elk; the other because the original chamber had been galled and buggered by some fool trying to remove a stuck case with a hardened screwdriver or chisel.

Both worked fine with factory .30-40 ammo; neither owner was a handloader. The elk hunter had killed 12 "meat elk" with his and still had 4 shells left from the original box he'd bought. He lived and worked in prime elk country and just waited for a serious clean shot. This was before all the drawing and lottery and hunting in specific zones came into play. But elk were scarcer in those days, too.

I think hat the 219 is stronger than generally supposed, but the hottest round I've seen it (re)chambered for was a .219 Zipper.
Before this I knew enough to buy any in 22 rimfire (and 28 Ga) if I ever saw one, now I know about the 32-20. This also got my curiosity up and I started looking through catalogs -

Catalog #70 with Mar 5, 1936 price list - no 219 or 220
Catalog #71 (no price list to date it) - list only the 220
Catalog #72 with Jan 3, 1938 price list - has 219 and some combinations including Model 224 combination (25-20 & 12 Ga)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Catalog #73 with Jan 3, 1939 price list - adds 220P and 219 in 32-20 and 22 Hornet but drops the listing of the 224 combination (noted that combinations for 25-20 & 32-20 were special order for $3.25 more)

[Linked Image]

Catalogs #74 & #75 are the same as #73 but with price increases

Catalog #76 with Jan 2, 1942 price list - adds more combinations -

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The 219 shows up again in the 1948 catalog but is only listed in 30-30 and 22 Hornet and not combinations.

The 1949 catalog does not have either the 219 or the 220, the 220 shows up again in the 1953 catalog, the 219 in 1959, grooved receivers on other guns started sometime in 1954.
Thanks for this. I have only the 1945 catalog showing the whole spectrum of 219s/220s; all rifle calibers, all combos, all shotgun guages and combos except the 220P (I have one of those in 20 guage, but it's a later, case-colored gun).

There is also a "trap model" 220 but that's not a factory designation since it doesn't appear to have ever been cataloged--as far as I know. Anybody know better?

Those apparently come in all guages (including .410!)with a cheap recoil pad and hand checkering on walnut stocks. Don't know what time period they are since I don't have any to examine. But from pix I've seen they seem to be both "late Utica" models with alloy guards, safeties, and triggers, and early Chicopee Falls guns with the same.

Don't know how they distributed them--employee incentives? None seem to be marked with a distributor or chain store name. But some of them seem to have been decorated with "engraving" (etching??) and one or two with scroll engraving reminiscent of some low-grade Savage Fox doubles.

I love those early rifle forends that Gene's catalogs show, but have never had even an early rifle that had one. All I've had were plain "splinters" without the little beavertail that those have (or whatever you call a forend shaped like that....).
© 24hourcampfire