Home
Posted By: Calhoun Got bored yesterday.. - 02/20/17
Dragged some guns out of the safe and into the garage to see how they look in the repurposed china hutch to gun display case. Holds 8 in display mode, or 17 for a full load. didn't feel like dragging 17 out to see that. grin

I think I'm into it for $150. Very happy with that cost compared to the price of actual gun display cases. About the only thing left is some locks on the doors to keep little kids out - guns will stay in the safe full time except to be displayed because no glass fronted case is secure, but still nice to lock it up from kidlets.

Could maybe rig up some handgun holders across the middle behind the rifles for a few Savage handguns.. hmm..

Now got to get a couch out of the basement and hire a couple of burly guys to drag it down for me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: olgrouser Re: Got bored yesterday.. - 02/20/17
Looking good Rory!
Posted By: knivesforme Re: Got bored yesterday.. - 02/20/17
Great repurpose. I like it.
great idea, and looks really nice!

dave
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Got bored yesterday.. - 02/20/17
Originally Posted by knivesforme
Great repurpose. I like it.

Wife had been at a Goodwill with her mother looking at books and tried texting me about a 15 gun display case that was on sale for $35 and was in great condition. I didn't get to the text until hours later when she had left, and when I stopped to look the gun case had already been snatched up.

So I told her to keep an eye out for another one, and if it was a measly $35 to just shell the money out and we'd get rid of it if I didn't like it.

So 2 months later she texts me a picture of this for $100 and says, "I think this would make a great gun cabinet". I couldn't believe a 50 year old china hutch was only $100... but nobody buys china any more, and the old cabinets are so big that nobody wants them any more. Best I can find this was made in the late 60's, has dings but the wood is gorgeous.
Hardest part was finding a piece of wood stained the same color to put in as a crossbar (found some trim at a store that sells scavenged stuff from homes, think it was $5). I'm not a woodworker, getting another piece stained to the same shade turned out to be beyond me. grin
Then simply cut some dowels to size and rubber coat the ends, drill holes in the crossbar and screw the crossbar in.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Got bored yesterday.. - 02/20/17
Nice Rory! I like to see old stuff reused!
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Got bored yesterday.. - 02/20/17
Nice work for an IT guy wink grin

Looks like some nice wood. Kind of a shame...

But! it's a fine looking display.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Got bored yesterday.. - 02/20/17
Nice and has storage underneath for scope boxes and coffee cans of "stuff" that tend to accumulate. smile
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Nice work for an IT guy wink grin

Looks like some nice wood. Kind of a shame...

But! it's a fine looking display.

One of my requirements during the conversion is that it can be put back together as a china hutch very easily. The only new holes are located on the bottom of the shelf supports where they can't be seen. I'll probably have to put new holes in for the locks... though if I go with a magnetic lock there won't be any holes on the outside.
Posted By: Sbrown Re: Got bored yesterday.. - 02/20/17
Really nice!!
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Got bored yesterday.. - 02/20/17
Looks good lit up Rory....
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Got bored yesterday.. - 02/20/17
Nicely done! Proud of ya!
Posted By: KeithNyst Re: Got bored yesterday.. - 02/20/17
Very nice! But swap your T for the Marlin grin
Posted By: S99VG Re: Got bored yesterday.. - 02/20/17
Nice. Your garage is a lot more fancy than mine. I say pack as many in there as you can, but then as a kid I liked the Cartwright's gun rack under the stairs at the Ponderosa!
I think cluttered is the word you're looking for. grin In a major cleanup/reorg effort.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Got bored yesterday.. - 02/20/17
A clutter-free environment is the sign of a sick mind. (At least that's what I keep telling myself!)
Posted By: RAS Re: Got bored yesterday.. - 02/20/17
I think China would look better in there.
Just kidding. Looks very nice.
Originally Posted by S99VG
I say pack as many in there as you can, but then as a kid I liked the Cartwright's gun rack under the stairs at the Ponderosa!

Yep, works for me.

[Linked Image]
You are going to have to pull a trailer to get that display case to the next Savagefest!
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Got bored yesterday.. - 02/20/17
looking good Rory!
Posted By: Loggah Re: Got bored yesterday.. - 02/21/17
Yup ,Looks nice !!!!! Bullet proof glass?? grin Those stairs at the Ponderosa dont go anywhere,there is no second floor in the old cartwright building crazy , The building with the second story was actually back on set in Hollywood. i spent an afternoon there years ago lots of antique mining equipment on display outside. grin
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Got bored yesterday.. - 02/21/17
That's neat. It's giving me some ideas. David
Posted By: crsides Re: Got bored yesterday.. - 03/03/17
Beautiful wood and great repurpose.

Charlie
© 24hourcampfire