Home
Posted By: wyo1895 old book and new book - 03/22/17
I talked with Phil Schiffer the head guy at Schiffer publications this afternoon. They have just about sold all of the first printing of my book and he wants to know about any changes that need to be made for a second printing. I know of a few. Any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated. He needs the info in 4 or 5 weeks.
We talked some about an actual 2nd addition but I think that new info would work best in a new book.
He REALLY wants me to write a second book. I told him my biggest problem is the time and money for me to do all the traveling involved. I told him the reason we need to travel to the people with the rifles is for Charlotte or I to get proper photographs of the rifles. Curved shiny surfaces are really difficult to photograph properly and we have perfected that. He offered to have anyone with rifles I wanted photographed to bring them to Schiffer's studio in Atglen, Pa. I want this book to cover engraving in depth and I want to include as many of the non-cataloged variations as possible. Any of you guys who have rifles that fall into this category PM or email with your thoughts on taking your rifles to Schiffer's studio. If we can do this I can get on track to start the book this Summer. Thanks, David
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: old book and new book - 03/22/17
Phil Schiffer also asked me about anyone who might want to write a gun book. Gene immediately came to mind. PM me if you are interested Gene and I'll get you in touch with them. David
Sounds like a Savagefest in central location where folks can bring engraved 99s and you can photograph while only making one trip?
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: old book and new book - 03/22/17
That's a great idea.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: old book and new book - 03/22/17
That is a great idea. But Loggah has already PM'd me that he isn't taking his guns through the People's Republic of Nu Yawk (New York). I may just have to fly to somewhere North of Boston, ship my lighting gear and rent a car. David
Posted By: Rustywrench Re: old book and new book - 03/22/17
Well, I definitely would love to see a second book. And if we can help fund what you need David, I would gladly contribute. There are go fund me accounts for everything imagined.
Why not?
Jeff
Originally Posted by wyo1895
That is a great idea. But Loggah has already PM'd me that he isn't taking his guns through the People's Republic of Nu Yawk (New York). I may just have to fly to somewhere North of Boston, ship my lighting gear and rent a car. David

I am certain Loggah is not alone. Hauling collectible/expensive guns around through unfriendly states is NOT a wise idea.
Posted By: Loggah Re: old book and new book - 03/23/17
Hell i wont even take myself thru New Yorkastan without any guns !!!!! crazy crazy
Posted By: JeffG Re: old book and new book - 03/23/17
fo'get-aboud'it. The PA Savage fest would still accomplish a big chunk of new photos.

David, I suggest you start an internal "Go-fund-me" campaign to cover your travel/production costs. We all benefit from your labors!

I 2nd, and 3rd the vote to encourage Gene toward his rimfire, and sights, and printed materials books!
Posted By: BillR Re: old book and new book - 03/23/17
There are guns in Canada that might also be suitable for your next book. Borders are a pain.
BillR
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: old book and new book - 03/23/17
Lots of good input. I'll probably have to take a very long road trip. Going to Canada doesn't bother me. I just don't take guns with me except for the two times I went hunting there. My wife is Canadian so we go there every now and then. We've never had any real hassle except the first hunting trip. We almost missed our plane due to an argument between Canadian and American officials on our last stop in Canada. We drove to Calgary the second trip so we took the gun through a border crossing and didn't have any problems.
I appreciate the offers of financial help but writing these kind of books is not profitable so pay back would come out of my regular income over time. I put my house in Georgia up for sale and if it sells I'll have plenty of money for the trip.
I've gotten some PM's concerning errors or omissions in the first book. All input is greatly appreciated. Correcting it has to be my first priority in the next days or weeks. Thanks, David
David,
Curious, do you know many books were printed first time?

Also, what will the Contents of Book #2 look like? That may give us some idea of what we have that may be of interest to you. You still have to solve the road trip(s). grin

I think the first printing must have been 2500. Phil Schiffer told me they had sold over 2000 copies and that they needed the info for the second printing in 4 or 5 weeks based on the sales rate or sooner if sales picked up.
For the new book I am going into great detail on engraving, especially Enoch Tue's, early checkering and stock carving and other special features. Some more pics of engraved 1895's would be great. I want to cover uncataloged versions in more detail. The one piece stock prototype and the Schutzen will be in there along with any other prototypes or rare factory rifles. I am planning a chapter on Savage advertising art. Possibly a chapter on Savage brand cartridges. I won't do this if Bill McNally does a book on cartridges. I mentioned the Perris Special in the first book but don't have pictures. I would really like to include some Perris Special pics. Gary's black and white photos have been a real attention getter in the first book. I would like to maybe do an appendix of people with their rifles especially family heirlooms and possibly guys with critters they've killed with their 99's.
I am open to more suggestions for content. David
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: old book and new book - 03/23/17
I've always been drawn to custom 99's. I especially like full stocked beauties with gorgeous wood and checkering. All the other classic rifles have been customized and as such are worshipped as works of art but if you so much as change a screw on a 99 you go straight to he!!, do not pass go or collect $200!

A brief mention of the potential of the 99 as a basis for a fine custom rifle would seem fitting in a book detailing high end factory rifles.

JMHO, and LBK is free to disagree, as I know he will.

RAS's custom

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ring3 Re: old book and new book - 03/23/17
The gun book dealer I see at many local shows was at the Ohio Gun Collectors March event in Williamstown OH. He had one copy left on his table. Told me they sell well but are getting tougher for him to get. Certainly fits with the publisher wanting to print more. I've shared my copy with a couple guys. At least one has subsequently bought his own copy.

If you do make some corrections would they be available to those with the first run books? Supplement possibly?

I have nothing that would interest you for your second book but it sounds like a fine idea. I also like the idea of Gene writing a book! His might have to be broken down into volumes though smile
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: old book and new book - 03/23/17
Originally Posted by ring3

If you do make some corrections would they be available to those with the first run books? Supplement possibly?

That would be a great service to your first books customers, but not sure how the book business works.
I'll write up the changes as a photobucket file and put it in a post as an attachment. I will also include a copy of the changes with any leftover first printing books I sell. I've reviewed the first three chapters and I spelled Enoch Tue's first name three different ways and I consistently misspelled Rick Ruetten's last name Reutten twice. It's tough being a writer. David
Who the s h i t REALLY cares about misspelling?
My book would be a lot worse in the spelling department if it wasn't for spell check. I try to do the best I can in all ways so I try to eliminate the spelling errors. Names like Enoch and Ruetten aren't in spell check unfortunately. David
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: old book and new book - 03/23/17
David, you can add those odd names to the spell checker so at least they will all come out the same.
Mike, I'll have to find out how to do that. Thanks, David
Mike, I'll have to find out how to do that. Thanks, David

Much to-do about nuttin'.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: old book and new book - 03/24/17
Brower listed me in his book as Rich Edmond. I would have preferred it was spelled correctly as Rick Edmonds.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: old book and new book - 04/04/17
I have to get the revisions on the way to Schiffer Publishing by Friday.
I'm now planning a road trip in June for photography and research for the new book. Can't go in July. What's going on with SavageFest 2017? How does June work for any of you guys who have the rifles, etc. I need for book II? I tried to post the revisions but it seems like photobucket doesn't reproduce documents even when I moved them to pictures. Will photograph them a little later and post them that way. David
Posted By: KeithNyst Re: old book and new book - 04/04/17
Might show a couple pics targets shot at 100 yards and the rifle. You'd be surprised who many folks don't believe me when I tell them some 99s can shoot 1 MOA when loaded right.
Posted By: RAS Re: old book and new book - 04/04/17
David,

I commend your leadership in making a real mark on one of your hobbies/passions.

I fully support an effort on a second book. Anything I can do to help in your effort, please let me know. That includes pictures and other things.

RAS
Posted By: ROMAC Re: old book and new book - 04/04/17
Dave, If you wanted pictures for the next edition, I would be happy to take my Birdseye Maple 1899 to Atglen. I live about 1.5 hours or so from there.

All I would need is some information and I'd do my best to make it happen.

Roger
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: old book and new book - 04/05/17
Keith, that's a great idea. I have a number of 99's that shoot one inch or better groups. My 303 SRC with the Weaver K4 and Lightfoot mount come to mind. I could also plug Mike's scope mount and discourage people from drilling and taping their collectables in the same section.
Jeff, that compliment could give me the big head. I may take you up on the offer of photos. I haven't completely figured out my route for the trip yet and that may save me some time.
ROMAC, I'll contact Schiffer and get the details. I'm not planning to go as far East as Pa. yet, although that may change.
Keep these ideas coming. I may include a section on custom engraving so anyone who has one of these please contact me.
David
Photos of the proposed changes. All constructive comments on this will be greatly appreciated.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I am still working on Table B-1. It's doubtful if more than a few 1899's were produced in 1898, certainly not 300 as indicated by #10007 being shipped in Jan 1999. I have the data about no rifles being made between #'s 55,000 and 64,999 and the 1912 and 1916 production figures being incorrect. Any other input will be greatly appreciated. David
I may include a section on custom engraving so anyone who has one of these please contact me.
David

I haven't figured out who or where this one was done. Guesses are German but I can't find a maker mark. Nicely done and a nice 1899C 303. The checking is not factory either.
Let me know where/when the "Midwest Rendezvous" is in your road trip and I'll bring it along. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is some nice engraving. It's much different than Enoch Tue's engraving. I will be visiting the Columbus, Ohio, area but haven't got all the contacts lined up yet so can't start planning when I'll be in a certain location until I know everywhere I'm going. David
Posted By: RAS Re: old book and new book - 04/05/17
David,

I have a 99 done by H&H Zenner. You will want to catch that one.

On a side note: you will want to see this 1895 in 30-30. That one isn't a custom though. wink

Let me know when you are in the Midwest. I will be in Northern Mich in about 2 months.

Posted By: wyo1895 Re: old book and new book - 04/06/17
Jeff, I'll be starting the trip no earlier than early June and definitely want to include your guns. David
Posted By: Jim585 Re: old book and new book - 04/07/17
Will there be a final list of all the changes, so I can write them all in my book? Thank you, Jim
Posted By: Calhoun Re: old book and new book - 04/07/17
As usual, I'm not shy about my opinion. grin
=========================================

On p.13, I would suggest changing the wording from "developed for" to "used in". And does it mention it being made by Pratt & Whitney somewhere?

p. 52, maybe change "was 1 in 14 inches which doesn't stabilize 100 grain or heavier bullets" to "was 1 in 14 inches which doesn't stabilize longer bullets including many 100 grain and heavier bullets". Stabilizing has to do with length, not weight, there are shorter 100gr bullets which usually work fine and there are lighter bullets which don't.

p. 59, col 2, para 1, line 7 - maybe mention that the 1899 letter designations were popularized by Doug Murray starting in the 80's.

On pages 59 and 60, are you suggesting that rifles in 1921/1922 should be called 1899A-1899F rifles rather than the more logical 99A-99F? That's going to create major headaches when somebody says they have an 1899C or 1899D or ...

Page 71 - change "employ of Fox" to "employee of Fox"

p. 91 col 2 para 1 - maybe change "This change allowed bullets of 100 grains to stablize" to "This change allowed longer bullets of 100 grains and heavier to stablize".
Posted By: Jim585 Re: old book and new book - 04/07/17
Page 3 at bottom:
after Appendix A add "Barrel Addresses"
after Appendix B add "Dates of Manufacture"
after Appendix C add "Calibers by Year and Model"
after Appendix D add "Vintage Photos"
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: old book and new book - 04/07/17
Sorry guys, the changes went off to the publisher earlier today. Those were some good suggestions. If there is another printing I'll add these changes. David
Posted By: Penobscot_99 Re: old book and new book - 04/07/17
Tag
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: old book and new book - 04/09/17
I may as well go ahead and break the bad news. Things don't look good for me writing another book. I may open myself up for a libel suit if I post what happened on the forum or any other public venue. I will be calling lawyers tomorrow. David
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: old book and new book - 04/09/17
Trump needs to get on with saving the Union! We need executive order:

" Where as a Savage rifle stamped with the designation 1899 on the rifle or the box it was sold in shall now and forevermore be called an 1899".
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: old book and new book - 04/09/17
But...but...but I have a 99H stamped model 1899. 99H's didn't come out until after the catalogs started calling them 99A, B, C, G, etc.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: old book and new book - 04/09/17
Let the press secretary Spicer explain it.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: old book and new book - 04/09/17
What the devil..?
David,

I do have one content correction for you - pretty minor. When you were talking about the 22 Hi Power cartridge you said something about Wyoming not allowing the use of bullets under .24 for big game. That is not entirely correct. Back in 2012 or 2013(?) Wyoming Game and Fish Department relaxed those regulations, allowing in addition to the old rules:

(b) For the taking of antelope, deer, mountain lion, or gray wolf where designated as a trophy game
animal, a hunter shall use:
(i) Any center-fire firearm of at least .22 caliber (excluding .22 Hornet) and having a bullet
weight of at least sixty (60) grains and firing a cartridge of at least two (2) inches in overall length, or any other cartridge of at least .35 caliber and at least one and one-half (1.5) inches in overall length, and using an expanding point bullet.

Based upon the 22 High Power's 2" case and 70 grain bullet I think it would be legal for the specified species. Not that I would recommend it - I think they wrote this so the black gun guys could play. I disagree, I have seen mule deer bucks soak up 165 gr 7mm bullets at 2900 fps and go quite some distance into the sage before dropping. Then again I know a kid from Shoshoni who killed a 9' grizzly in Alaska with an AR - took 20 shots, the bear started slapping himself like he was stung by a bee for the first several shots.

Here is a link to the current WGFD regulations:

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Regulations/Regulation-PDFs/REGULATIONS_CH32

Best regards - loved your book, really liked the personalized inscription. You are right, there aren't enough Savages in WYO.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: old book and new book - 04/10/17
Thanks for the update. What I said in the book on page 51 was that Wyoming didn't allow the taking of elk or larger animals with anything with a smaller diameter bullet than .243 inches. Technically the animals listed are smaller than an elk. It's a fine point and I'm glad you posted the information since I hope to be hunting wolves as soon as they are delisted. I took an antelope with a 22 Hi-Power in 2015 and the antelope died in its tracks with a shot to the spine at 240 yards. Shot placement is everything. David
© 24hourcampfire