Home
Posted By: Leverlover Wanamaker Show this weekend - 03/28/17
Just putting out some feelers. I'm driving to Tulsa for the show this weekend from Northern WI. I'm sure someone here has been there. Other than a pocket full of cash and a ton of people, what can I expect? I've heard if you're looking for it, its there? At any rate I'll get there Friday and staying thru the weekend. What time should I be in line. How do I navigate and remember, etc. Is there anywhere to take a break.

Does anyone want me to "haul" anything back to Iowa, Minn, WI?

Thoughts?

Thanks guys.
Posted By: RAS Re: Wanamaker Show this weekend - 03/28/17
I know a guy who will be there on a table and will have some nice Savages to sell. PM me if you want his name and cell number.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Wanamaker Show this weekend - 03/28/17
Wow, Wisconsin to Oklahoma. Must be one hell of a show?
Originally Posted by S99VG
Wow, Wisconsin to Oklahoma. Must be one hell of a show?

It is.

It has to be seen to believed.
Leverlover, yes there is are a couple of break areas with concessions. Expect to walk a ways after you park, and the concrete floors get to your feet after a while, but there are chairs scattered around. You'll see lots of almost everything.
On my bucket list, someday!
Posted By: RAS Re: Wanamaker Show this weekend - 03/29/17
I am planning on going to the next one. And bringing a few guys on the 24 with me.
I hope to make it some day. David
It's definitely worth the trip, just to browse and sightsee. I'll be there, as will some other campfire folks.
I am still looking for a pristine .308 Savage 99A. If you see one, please pass on my email address to seller so he can contact me: [email protected]. Thanks.
Posted By: svg250 Re: Wanamaker Show this weekend - 03/29/17
I went last year for the first time and will definitely go again. I believe we got in line around 7:15 or 7:30. It didn't take long to get in after they open the doors though I picked up a real nice .308 savage 99A there and some ammo, but plenty of stuff to look at including a couple tables with really nice 99's. We stayed in Catoosa which is about 10 min outside of Tulsa, drove down through Illinois and Missouri, but came back on the interstate 35 through Missouri and iowa, minn. Well worth the trip.
Posted By: RAS Re: Wanamaker Show this weekend - 03/29/17
The guy I know at the show has a pretty nice 1899H in 22HP.

He also has a suitcase set with some guys name on the receiver. Accompanying the set is a letter saying Savage did it.

He also has a decent 1899B and an 1899C. Both in 303.

I got a really nice 1926 99G off of him last month.

Again, if anyone wants his number because you are going to Tulsa, send me a PM.

RAS
Is that the set that has "Ira Brown" engraved on it? If so, he was at York a few weeks back, he did have some nice rifles. He was away from the table and his helper was there. I told him if it had of been engrave for "Ira Hayes" I would have jumped on it. He acted like he never heard of Ira Hayes, so I didn't pester him anymore, Joe.
OK, I'll bite....

Who WAS/IS Ira Hayes?
American Indian, Marine, that helped raise the flag on Iwo Jima. He later acted in a few movies, did guest appearances around his home town, usually payed in liquor. He didn't do "fame" well and turned to booze. Died on the side of the road a drunk. He was buried at Arlington with full military honors. He learned to read and write by four years old, joined the ParaMarines at 19 and died at 32. He was one of 5 Marines in his platoon that survived Iwo Jima, but he couldn't survive life, Joe.
Road trip to this show, Joe? I'll drive. We'll pick up Oldotter, Saddlering, and Fireball on the way. Maybe even swing by Loggah's place if he's done boiling hemlock sap by then.
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
American Indian, Marine, that helped raise the flag on Iwo Jima. He later acted in a few movies, did guest appearances around his home town, usually payed in liquor. He didn't do "fame" well and turned to booze. Died on the side of the road a drunk. He was buried at Arlington with full military honors. He learned to read and write by four years old, joined the ParaMarines at 19 and died at 32. He was one of 5 Marines in his platoon that survived Iwo Jima, but he couldn't survive life, Joe.

One of my favorite Johnny Cash songs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmNKspKUaTQ
[quote=gnoahhh]Road trip to this show, Joe? I'll drive. We'll pick up Oldotter, Saddlering, and Fireball on the way. Maybe even swing by Loggah's place if he's done boiling hemlock sap by then. [/quote

I wouldn't want you fellas to tarnish my sterling reputation here on the forum. laugh laugh laugh
Gary, you still driven the "Stinkin Lincoln? We could squeeze a few more people in it! I'll probably still be painting, Joe
Nah, the Lincoln Aircraft Carrier was a temp. The Saab will seat four comfortably, plus two in the trunk. What's more important- driving cross country to a gun show in a miasma of beer farts, or painting the MIL's living room?
Im packed and waiting! Ill be standing down by the stop sign!
Hot Dam! Well thanks "Gentlemen" (if there are a few here) for the feedback, inquiries and en·thu·si·asm. I'm stoked. I'll definitely be coming home with something. And fortunately I don't have a Mrs. so I'll be able to keep it, so long as its not a health issue!!

A few have reached out and I'll keep my eyes out for stuff as best I can. I've already located some of the 99's I'd like to own but the price is more favorable to the seller. At least this way, I can spend my cash on motels, gas, food, entertainment and the lasting memories of "how I got such a great deal back in 2017. I'll report back after I clean up the guns I bring back to Eau Claire next week.

do widzenia, Mike
Posted By: ed7189 Re: Wanamaker Show this weekend - 03/30/17
Leverlover. With 4500 tables your going to doing some fast walking to be able to see everything. I had to sit down twice. When I was there I saw 119 99's, but only saw one that I really wanted and I bought which happened to be right by the front door Ha! Have fun smile
I wish they'd move Tulsa a little closer to my house! I'd love to see that show.
RAS, was that boxed set the one with Ira Brown engraved on it? That guy had a couple rifles I would liked to have brought home with me. I think that "C" was high on my list. Maybe next year, Joe.
How 'bout some of you guys 'sharin' the experience??
Feet hurt.
Okay.. to give a bit more meat to it...

Good show, lots of 99's and most of them priced at normal gun show prices. Lots of pistols, including two military with Portuguese grips (1 only had 1 grip), couple of sporters in 22LR and a couple in 25-20, few 1920's including a very late one in 300 that tempted me somewhat. Lots of ammo, but wasn't running into cheap boxes of 300/250/303 like I did last year.

One interesting rifle was a 1950's 99R with no serial number and no LBC stamp. But it had the "Savage Model 99" stamp on the receiver, had an SP stamp on the barrel, everything fitted together real nice except the forearm wood was more proud to the metal than normal. Did not look like the serial number had been removed, the bluing was in great shape and no alteration to the metal that we could see.

Saw a MHG musket with bayonet sell, asking price was $9,999 but no idea how much money traded hands.

There was a really nice 38-55 1899A (I think?) with pistol grip, checkering, hard rubber buttplate - but reblued. Crying shame.
Best part was meeting up with the campfire folks again and talking Savages.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Wanamaker Show this weekend - 04/03/17
...and it sounds like there were a few other Forum members there that we didn't know about till now. We need to do a better job of trying to meet up (Tulsa Mini Fest smile. There were six of us that I can think of plus Ralph (short, gray whiskers walking 50 miles an hour), George (down stairs east wall) and Bill 1st row top of the stairs).

I did find a Late 99-A, 20",.243. Now to find that illusive one in .300. That bunch is the only group of post mill's that I've ever had much interest in. Also picked up a boxed 3/4" Stith. Looks near new with all papers and extra dovetail bases for a fair price. So at least I felt good on the trip home, something I needed and not broke.
Could all meet up in Claremont on Thursday to eat someplace and then wander the Davis gun museum. grin
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Best part was meeting up with the campfire folks again and talking Savages.

Hey Calhoun, I don't think I acknowledged you at the table when I straggled in, my apologies. I was a bit frazzled from the blowout and trying to get parked before the party broke up.

My feet hurt too.
Well here is my report. Its a LOOONG dam way to Tulsa Town from Eau Claire but I made it with no problems on Friday. I did a dry run from the motel and talked with a few fellas and came up with a game plan. I was at the door at 6am, first in line with a young guy from Eagan, MN of all places. I re-uped my NRA regisrtation so that got done and got in the door for $30. There were 67 rows with tables on either side of you as you walked, approx. 12-15' between rows and 470' long, so in effect 940' X 67 = 62,980ft of tables plus what was under some outlying entries, etc. I was flying looking only for savage 99 forearm wood. I finished the top by 11am and started the bottom. I was complete by 230pm, never went pee, never sat down. Then as I walked I wrote down where to go back to and started jewing. I bought two beautiful F's, one .243, one .300 and will upgrade what I have. Then I bought a mint CD in .308 and a mint DL in .300. Nothing rare but got "MY" prices. Had to go back late Sunday for one to beat the guy up a bit. I also had him throw in a lyman 30 tang sight that is flawless. Just talked to Steve about it as a matter of fact. I met up with two guys I know that collect Savages from Duluth. He is the guy with the musket and bayonet. They were wrapping up by the time I got back to them so don't know if he sold it but had a Texan looking at it. Also met up with guys from Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, Wisconsin and two who had a lot of engraved 99's who I don't know. I did not find the Lyman 56 elevator screw I was asked to find but I did hunt. Made it home last night about midnight, 796 miles with two gas stops. Carried a piss jug with me. At any rate, it is cool but overwhelming. I found the restrooms inadequate (thus no pee) and two much to take in. It was a good time, better on Sunday after I had "my work done"! Definately will go back again.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Wanamaker Show this weekend - 04/03/17
Now I know where some of the 99 went to that I looked at on Friday. Good for you! When you drive that far you need to find something just to justify the trip.
Holy cow that sounds a lot like work!
The show is over?? Joe and I never made it out of the bar in Frederick!
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Okay.. to give a bit more meat to it...

Good show, lots of 99's and most of them priced at normal gun show prices. Lots of pistols, including two military with Portuguese grips (1 only had 1 grip), couple of sporters in 22LR and a couple in 25-20, few 1920's including a very late one in 300 that tempted me somewhat. Lots of ammo, but wasn't running into cheap boxes of 300/250/303 like I did last year.

One interesting rifle was a 1950's 99R with no serial number and no LBC stamp. But it had the "Savage Model 99" stamp on the receiver, had an SP stamp on the barrel, everything fitted together real nice except the forearm wood was more proud to the metal than normal. Did not look like the serial number had been removed, the bluing was in great shape and no alteration to the metal that we could see.

Saw a MHG musket with bayonet sell, asking price was $9,999 but no idea how much money traded hands.

There was a really nice 38-55 1899A (I think?) with pistol grip, checkering, hard rubber buttplate - but reblued. Crying shame.

DENNY JACKSON -Musket! He's Smoking Again!
Saw a very, very nice (95%+) barrel band in 30-30, fairly priced (IMO) at $1500.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Wanamaker Show this weekend - 04/03/17
Holy crap, did they have shopping carts at the front gate?
Native gun bearers, I hope. Better yet, bikini-clad co-eds. Betcha that would induce more gun buying.
Posted By: bilwil Re: Wanamaker Show this weekend - 04/04/17
I was set up on top level and had one of my French militarys on the table. It didn't

stand out so I bought a British lanyard and put it on to show off the ring on the grip

Didn't have one person look at it. Just thought of something, had the wife at the

table and was looking for 99s all three days. Just went back to the table to check

in and then back out to shop. Got a nice 99A in 250 and a 99T in 300, very

happy with the show. I saw that barrel band and it was so nice I thought it was

maybe a reblue. Wish I could have asked someone other than the owner.

Bill
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Wanamaker Show this weekend - 04/04/17
I talked to the wife but no Bilwil in site. smile

There were two 300 T's. I watched the other one sell as I walked up to the table. There were a lot of Savage levers sold at that show.
The November show is prime cow elk hunting time but I may have to go. The next book is in the works and I may need some input from the show. David
Posted By: GeneB Re: Wanamaker Show this weekend - 04/04/17
A few nice rimfires, but they were versions I already had and the prices didn't tempt me enough to bring home any duplicates. At the last few shows I seem to spend less time walking and more time talking.

I did find an average condition rifle to finally mount another of my Malcolm scopes on, just put it on today, I have had the scope for several years. The gun did not have the original sights so it was a good candidate for the Malcolm. It had King's front and rear and the rear had a 1933 patent date so it was from several years later than the gun. It's a little out of my area of collecting so don't ask to many details.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Since I collect mainly rimfires I do not reload, so the caliber on this one was a plus for me. I actually have some boxes of it sitting around.

Hey, that turned out looking really nice!
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Wanamaker Show this weekend - 04/05/17
Looks good! What period of time was that scope sold?

Did you find the #17?
Posted By: GeneB Re: Wanamaker Show this weekend - 04/05/17
Originally Posted by Rick99
Looks good! What period of time was that scope sold?

Did you find the #17?
The scope is post WWI, could be 30-s to as late as the 40's, so probably a little later vintage than the rifle. I still have a pre-WWI Malcolm in need of a rifle...

The #17 was at home on the table. I put it on the 1899 before I mounted the Malcolm -
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Wanamaker Show this weekend - 04/06/17
Will that sight adjust down far enough to use with a standard front sight when mounted on the tang?

Might they have been mounted on the wrist? They were in production when the 1895's were produced.
Posted By: GeneB Re: Wanamaker Show this weekend - 04/06/17
Originally Posted by Rick99
Will that sight adjust down far enough to use with a standard front sight when mounted on the tang?

Might they have been mounted on the wrist? They were in production when the 1895's were produced.

Rick, the angle would be wrong for mounting on the wrist, when I got them both sights they were turned around in the base compared to the pictures and others I have seen - if mounted on the tang that way they would be farther forward & higher - but they still sat at the same angle. The catalogs say they were "placed on tang", but the screw holes look like they were made more for wood screws. The pin is just a slip fit in both and can be easily pushed out to turn the ladder and both showed marking on the ends.

The rifle pictured has a very tall front sight (which might be to tall) and the rear at a low setting and has not been sighted in. There is plenty of travel for the set-up shown so it looks like it would still work for an 1895 which has the sight line lower.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
My first visit to Tulsa. Everyone says you gotta do Tulsa, so we drove out from SC. 1038 miles. Had family to visit along the way so did it two days out and two days back. Had a great time. I was able to get a table late in the game and that was a life saver. I do local shows about 6 a yr. Main collecting interest is Smith and wesson revolvers from the 30's - 60's, but also like the 99's. I took 2 rifles to sell, a pre 64 win 264 mag and a 250/3000 EG from early 50's. A father and son came by ... he was looking for a pre 64 264 mag and the son was looking for a 250/3000 99. We did the bundle thing and they bought both.

I got a 70- 80% unmolested win 71 last yr and hunted with it. My son liked it, so knowing where this was going, thought I better get me one. Was really looking for something in the $1200-$1500 range complete with extra holes and added pad for my son. What I found was a really nice 1942 deluxe, a 90% gun for twice my budgeted amount. So, I pass my first one down to sonny boy, and keep the new one. Also bought a rem 12c oct bbl, two engraved S&W's and a model 27 3 1/2". Also found a model 10 M&P 38 spl shipped to local Chief of Police in 1952.

Not alot of Savage news, but I had a great time.

Charlie
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Wanamaker Show this weekend - 04/13/17
Sounds like a very memorable trip. All ways better when you find something to bring home. smile
© 24hourcampfire