Home
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=129260

1900 Savage 99 in 30-30 Marked Savage 30 Cal. Always liked the 99, but don't have one yet.
Your link is to something else?

The gun you reference is most interesting.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1292609

Crap.. fat fingers.
Looks like you have to sign into the forum to see the pictures.
Can't see photo's but the "...1900 Savage 99 in 30-30 Marked Savage 30 Cal." sounds more like a standard early barrel address line than the early "SAV .30" marking. The hightest serial I've seen at this point is 19,700.
Rick, any truth to that story on calguns about Winchester suing Savage over the 30-30 marking?
Originally Posted by steve99
Rick, any truth to that story on calguns about Winchester suing Savage over the 30-30 marking?
No - Winchester never used the 30-30 designation on any guns until sometime after WWII so I don't see how they would have any rights to it, especially just the number part - the official name of the round was 30 WCF, When Winchester came out with smokeless powder specific cartridges they purposely quite using the old balckpower two number system. Marlin is often thought to have been the first to use the 30-30 designation.

There also was the 30-30 Wesson that predated the 30 WCF.

The same type stories circulate about the 30-30 Remington and the reason it was later changed to 30 Remington, just can't see any truth in any of them. The Remington name was most likely changed because of confusion it caused after Marlin started calling the 30 WCF the 30-30...
When 1st this subject of 30-30 caliber marking on the 1899 Savage came up on the Forum, years ago, there was reference to Savage having marked some "30 WCF". With many years passing, I have yet to see evidence of any marked that way.
I'm a CalGuns member so looked at the pics. He didn't include the barrel marking so don't know how it is really stamped. Don't understand referencing it and then not showing in pics??

Overall the gun is pretty rough with a bad tang crack. Just down the road from me though.
Thanks guys, I was pretty sure that was what I would hear.
It is close to me as well, wasn't sure it it was something odd or just an old rather beat up rifle. No idea really on Savage 99 pricing.
© 24hourcampfire