Home
Posted By: RAS What are you guys using this year? - 09/29/18
All:

Hunting season is upon us. What rifle are you planning to use, or have used this year?

For me there are three, in no order.

99EG in 358
99C in 284
1895 in 30-30
308 EG and 250-3000G
Old faithful: 1957 99F in 300 Sav w/ Leupold M8 6x
Next up: early Mod 1920 with Lyman 54
Backup: Savage 99RS in 300 sav with Redfield 70LH
Taking my 99F .303 with bullets I learned to cast this year. If that is successful, I’ll take out the Contender pistol with the .375 Win barrel.

Pre war "R" in 300sav 4X Redfield scope Lightfoot mount, and or 250 Savage 99 barrel Band, with a 6X Leupold Alaskan scope! Bow season starts on Monday! Happy hunting All!
My Big Three -
Benneli SBE
S&W 629 .44 mag in 6.5”
aaaand for my first ever savage hunt, 99 DL in 308. Cant wait to use it where it belongs, in the woods.
The 358 Brush Gun always gets sighted in but may or may not get used. There's an early muzzleloader season in 2 weeks. And a couple of bolt guns will most likely see some woods time.

Dale
30-30 barrel band if we finally get decent weather for opener.
Maybe finally try 1 of the 303s as back up.
Put 5 pointer in freezer 10 days ago with bow so no pressure for venison in freezer so good year to have some fun with old savages!
My wife is using her 243 compact Ruger
I am using my 257 Roberts vastly improved "6mm rem"
The spare gun is a 7/08 700 rem.
CVA Steghorn. 50 during muzzleloader season. AR-15 .450bushmaster for deer gun. 12ga sabot as backup.
Pre-64 M70 .30-06 and/or Winchester M54 .30-30. Hey, you asked.
Opening day will be my 303G. If i have no luck there will be a 30-30 short rifle and the 358EG in the lineup next.
Winchester - boo, boo and boo. Just kidding but if it were me I’d be hangin’ with the 54. You don’t see too many of them in that chamber.
25/06 and our blacktail season opened today. Saw the big boy I was after going away at 250 after the doe busted me he bolted. I got set up just as he ducked under some tree branches and was ready but he never came out. Disappeared on a *mostly* open grassy hillside. Slippery bastards. He's a good 20"+ blacktail. Last year I saw him at 600 yards and I was carrying a 22/250, hence the 25/06. Thought it was all over right at daylight. Oh well, that's hunting.

Passed on two 3x3's, including a really nice one that's here in this photo somewhere! LOL 15 yards.

[Linked Image]
You guys just saw this. I'm banking on this one for the long shot on Mr. Big. Was having some trouble keeping the 99F 284 sighted in probably due to the Leupold scope, and haven't replaced it yet.

[Linked Image]
I’m taking a savage 170 in 30-30,always wanted to try it. After that the 99E in 308
700 Titanium 308,Kimber AAA French 257 Roberts,and AAA French 308.
I will probably take out an 1899 in 38/55 a time or two depending on what stand I use. It will have to share time with either a Remington Model 8 or 81 or a Standard Arms Model G all in 35 Rem.

Other stands will probably see one of the Walmart special Vanguards in 308 or a pre-64 Winchester M-70 in the same chambering.

Bad weather will see a stainless/synthetic Savage 10 I rebarreled to 358 Win.

In the slug zone it will be a 12 ga Mossberg 930 slug gun or an H&R Ultra Slug Gun in 20 ga.
I will be taking my 284 model F to montana for elk and deer and will be using either 250 model G or my 243 model F in my home state of North Dakota for deer. November will be busy.
I'm laying down the 99 this year and using my sporterized M1917 30-06. It is the 100th year anniversary of the end of WW1, and my gun was built in Jan.or Feb. of 1918. I am going to carry it to honor my Grandfather who fought in, and was severely wounded in, the Meuse-Argonne Battle of 1918. I'd love to kill a big buck with it this year.
I'll be using my 444 marlin and ruger 44 mag carbine.

Lee
Getting my right knee replaced October 16th, so I might be sniping my field from the front porch. Pending on weather, I plan on using the 1912 22HP with the Malcolm scope. But it has to be a clear day, if it's foggy or dim, can't see through the scope well. Back up will be the 1950 R in 250.
I will celebrate my 50th anniversary of owning my West German produced .257 Weatherby magnum by hunting with it. I bought it at Warshall's sporting goods in Seattle 50 years ago in October. If I get an antelope and the first elk with it early on I'll switch to my SRC in 30-30 for the second elk. David
1951 eg 300 for elk and bear
1926 g 3030 for deer
I struggle for weeks on this decision. As of now, I've sighted in;
1927 99F in 303 Sav
Pre war 99R in 300 Sav
Pre war 99 EG in 300 Sav
99 T in 300 Sav
Ruger Mark II in 257 Roberts
Remington 700 Mtn rifle in 30-06
Weatherby Sub MOA Vanguard in 257 Wby

I guess its a good dilemma to have, but I really won't know what will go out to the blind with me till the night before when I'm packing to head north. I loose sleep every year trying to make up my mind. The last 7 years a 1899 / 99 has won the coin toss....................we shall see if tradition has precedence, or time for a change.
In my neck of the woods, long shots are 50 yards, rarely 75. Until recently, we were restricted to shotguns during "gun season". Now we are allowed to use straight wall cartridge rifles and handguns. Not owning a 38-55 Savage, I've been using my 45-70 Hotchkiss second model. This season will be my newly acquired .577 Snider-Enfield Carbine. We have a black powder season as well. Dry days, the original 1803 Harper's Ferry flint lock gets the nod. Wet days, the percussion T/C Renegade goes out, although it's awfully "new".

One of these days, an 1899 38-55 will fall in my lap...

Good hunting to all!

Doug
Now there's class!

First day my 1899 #7 in 303 Savage. Last few years been passing on a lot of bucks with this rifle. Hoping to take a nice ten pointer + with it. If so likely will retire it in style. May hunt my 1895 Savage some also. Recently acquired a three digit 1895 flat side in 32 40 likely to get some action this season.

First day rifle is for sure, but like others I really don't know for sure until I start out the door. GW
Thinking a couple prewar 99R's. One in 300 Savage with case colored receiver, the other a 250-3000.

Haven't sighted either in yet, so could still change.

Model 700 Classic, 270 Win.
Probably a Savage but not your typical one. I have a Savage made Lee Enfield with a S&K no drill mount on it and a Weaver scope. I would display a photo but I have made it my life's mission now to figure out how to do it on here.
Originally Posted by Dale K
The 358 Brush Gun always gets sighted in but may or may not get used. There's an early muzzleloader season in 2 weeks. And a couple of bolt guns will most likely see some woods time.

Dale

Dammit Dale! You keep torturing me with that 358. You should have sold that to me when we met up! I can't understand why my $100.00 offer fell on deaf ears!
I'll be carrying a 99 ES in .243. Breaking it in for my granddaughter to use when she gets a little older. My EG will be my son's hands for the first time this fall.
I had my 99T out last night for a bit of fondling and thought "dammit, I'm holding one of the best deer killing machines ever devised by mankind, why not use it?" So, it'll trade off and on with the M54 Winchester .30-Baby this year too.
I was hopeing that you would come to your senses!
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I had my 99T out last night for a bit of fondling and thought "dammit, I'm holding one of the best deer killing machines ever devised by mankind, why not use it?" So, it'll trade off and on with the M54 Winchester .30-Baby this year too.

Yessss..!!
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
Getting my right knee replaced October 16th, so I might be sniping my field from the front porch. Pending on weather, I plan on using the 1912 22HP with the Malcolm scope. But it has to be a clear day, if it's foggy or dim, can't see through the scope well. Back up will be the 1950 R in 250.

Update, I rescheduled my knee surgery for December 4th. If it's clear out the 22hp with the Malcolm still gets the nod for opening day. I had it on stand last year and it was real overcast and foggy. I had 6 deer at 25 yards in and out of thickets and couldn't get them in the scope. The tang sight shoots to the same point of aim, but in low light and the scope cantilevered to the side, couldn't see the aperture either.
first string will be my 270 Redding, with three notches in four years.
[Linked Image]

Next will be mt 303SRC which should have had a notch last thanksgiving morning, but all I had was a pass-through and runaway, with only one speck of meat in the leaves..., good news is I know he made it through last winter and spring.
[Linked Image]

finally I will finish with my Savage MLII
Originally Posted by gophergunner

Dale

Dammit Dale! You keep torturing me with that 358. You should have sold that to me when we met up! I can't understand why my $100.00 offer fell on deaf ears!

grin

Seems to me, there was one at a gunshop in Clearfield (not Grices) that you could have bought, (only $1895 IIRC), then you wouldn't have to wait for your 243 to grow up into a real cartridge like I have grin

Dale

Dale

grin

Seems to me, there was one at a gunshop in Clearfield (not Grices) that you could have bought, (only $1895 IIRC), then you wouldn't have to wait for your 243 to grow up into a real cartridge like I have grin

Dale

Some times I think we need a "Like Button". How long does it take a 243 to grow into a 358? I was shooting my 45 auto at a steel plate spinner. After a couple clips I went up to see if it did any damage to the plate. There quarter sized silver discs all over the ground. The copper jacket peeled off and the lead core made perfect poker chips. I wonder if a 243 would splat out to 358?
Originally Posted by RAS
All:

Hunting season is upon us. What rifle are you planning to use, or have used this year?

For me there are three, in no order.

99EG in 358
99C in 284
1895 in 30-30

Usually I'm attracted to using something odd, but this year I decided to use a bolt action .30-'06 with a 150 gr. cup-n-core and 3-9x40 scope. Sorry I just couldn't help myself. Maybe I'll slip in a 99F in .308 from 1956 with a 2-7x33 here and there.
I will hunt with these, in this order, and only pick up the next one after it scores.

1929 - 99G 300 sporting a lightfoot mount and a vintage Burris 2x7

1974 Ruger No.1B 2506 and its Leupold

1981 BLR 308 and its rock solid failsafe Burris
Solid choices, but referring to anything Burris as vintage does make me feel old!
Your right gnoahhh ! 😀 I should have said it’s sporting a Burris for my vintage eyes!! I mounted a nice weaver k2.5 on it and boy did it look sharp, but I can barely see the cross hairs.
Originally Posted by JoeMartin

Dale

Some times I think we need a "Like Button". How long does it take a 243 to grow into a 358? I was shooting my 45 auto at a steel plate spinner. After a couple clips I went up to see if it did any damage to the plate. There quarter sized silver discs all over the ground. The copper jacket peeled off and the lead core made perfect poker chips. I wonder if a 243 would splat out to 358?

Back in the late 80's/early 90's I was bear hunting with some friends. We had been driving the hills and brush northeast of DuBois, Pa. near the Boy Scout Camp. It was a perfect place for the 358 with the 4x Weaver on it. We had wrapped it up for the day and were sitting at the Fireman's Club when one of the guys I had been hunting with spotted the 358's in the cartridge carrier on my belt. He asked what shell is that? I knew he had been using a bolt action 243 with a big scope that day. So I showed him one of those big fat 358's topped with a 200 gr Hornady Spire Point and told him this is a 358 Winchester and someday, his little 243 will grow up. The crowd at the bar exploded in laughter.

As far as I know, he's still using the 243...

Dale
Winchester 71 in 33 Winchester or

Winchester 71 in 450 Alaskan
Colt Light Rifle in 270.

Marlin XS7 with a Stevens 200 1-9" ROT barrel that has been rechambered from 223 to 22-250. Shot 2 does with it on 10/06/18 to punch a Nebraska "River" tag.

Mossberg Patriot in 6.5 Creedmoor, my Son's rifle.

Remington 700 in 260, my Daughter's rifle.

Ruger Hawkeyes in 243, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 338 Federal.

Winchester 70 in 25 WSSM and Winchester 100 in 308.
Originally Posted by FUG1899
Winchester 71 in 33 Winchester or

Winchester 71 in 450 Alaskan

There you go again with that nifty .33! Refresh my memory- one of only a couple factory made .33's in the M71?

One of hand full made still looking for a 45-70

Dale

grin

Dale
Doh!
Okay Dale, it's just killing me to do this, I might have to sell one of the kids, but I'll go up to the insane price of $200.00 just because I'm such a nice friggin' guy............ Where do I send the check, and do you take lay away?
Send the the check, I'll fill in the amount...

Dale
© 24hourcampfire