Home
I think this is in the serial number range of a couple others we've seen. But they are rare, so thought I'd grab a couple pics as reference. And yes, it is an EG and not an R. Local Cabela's had their copy of Murray's stolen and now they can't tell an F from an EG.

I think the "why" of them is that somebody simply got tired of resetting the machines to stamp the top for EG's and on the side for R's for a while. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nah, I think the guys in the drilling department were just drunk on that day. It was a different time. Just kidding - obviously.

So, for the collector, do these EGs have a certain premium? If so, then 800-bucks might not be a bad price for the guy who absolutely had to have every variant of EG made in the 50s. Not to mention the rest of the rifle looks in tip top shape.
Had sling studs and stock had it's share of dings and dents. Bluing looked in great shape if I remember, not sure about muzzle.

It's definitely an unusual specimen, I'd consider them a collectible item. Not sure about whether they would bring a premium, or how much of one.

Along with these you have the early EG's that are both stamped to the side and d&t - though because of receivers like this, it's technically impossible to tell if the early EG's with both were d&t at the factory or after market. I think we've seen enough that are both stamped to the side and d&t from early on that I feel comfortable saying some were done at the factory.
Priced too low. Oughta be $1million, at least. Good thing you hid their Murray's on them, Rory!
Its amazing how some rifles manage to keep the metal in good shape when the wood looks like its been beat to crap and back. Though the picture makes it look like this one isn't that bad. But for me to put 800-bucks down on a 99 it better be something special or a gun that I've been a long time looking for.
Originally Posted by S99VG
Its amazing how some rifles manage to keep the metal in good shape when the wood looks like its been beat to crap and back. Though the picture makes it look like this one isn't that bad. But for me to put 800-bucks down on a 99 it better be something special or a gun that I've been a long time looking for.

It's not horrible, but it was hunted. I believe one of the dings is a good 2"-3" dent across the bottom of the forearm. Just didn't want somebody to think it was a 95% gun.
Sometimes that stuff 'll steam out, but you gotta work at it to get a factory look on a refinished stock. Cool variant to my way of thinking, thanks for posting.
Heh. Just ran across 547604, also an EG in 300 Savage. Much more worn than this one, but it’s both stamped to the side and d&t.

They often come in batches.
If it’s an odd factory characteristic, and the rest of the firearm is acceptable, then someone will usually want it for their collection. How much that adds to the price will vary gun to gun, and the rareness of the characteristic.
Whew. Personally, I don't want to be so far down the rabbit hole of any genre of gun collecting that I would have to seek out minor variations such as that simply to keep the collection going. But, to each his own.
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Heh. Just ran across 547604, also an EG in 300 Savage. Much more worn than this one, but it’s both stamped to the side and d&t.

They often come in batches.

Joe Boren's xls also has notes indicating factory D&T on:
99EG 250-3000 535735
99EG 300 Sav 548552
99EG 250-3000 698393
I'v mentioned my rifle before ...... stamped on the side, factory D/T, serial # 533869 ---- 250-3000 99EG No collector value, but it will out-shoot most :):):):) It has killed a truckload of deer over the years. RAS has seen this rifle and has often admired the Monte Carlo stock :):):) Custom 5/8" foam pipe insulation cut to specs and glued down with 80 wraps of electrical tape !!! Beat that :):):)
Originally Posted by oldgunsmith
I'v mentioned my rifle before ...... stamped on the side, factory D/T, serial # 533869 ---- 250-3000 99EG No collector value, but it will out-shoot most :):):):) It has killed a truckload of deer over the years. RAS has seen this rifle and has often admired the Monte Carlo stock :):):) Custom 5/8" foam pipe insulation cut to specs and glued down with 80 wraps of electrical tape !!! Beat that :):):)

I’d love to see pics on that rifle! :-))
will try to get a few up here for you !!!
© 24hourcampfire