Home
Posted By: BigDave39355 Randall Knives - 08/30/20
I’ve always discounted Randall knives as being a Rambo sharpened pry bar type of knife.

Finally saw some in person today. A new gun shop i checked out had some from an estate sale they said.

Stag, micarta and one with paracord wrapped. 10 or so in total. All marked $649.

Behind glass, no handling them.

Really nice. Not a thick blade as i imagined.

Doubt I’ll ever have one. But kudos those that do.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Randall Knives - 08/30/20
I have a friend that has fifty of the damned things. I've handled every one of them. I can't like them, they're heavy, thick behind the edge, low Rc heat treatment of average grade steel. Just not my thing.
Posted By: deflave Re: Randall Knives - 08/30/20
I love mine.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Randall Knives - 08/30/20
I had some that I enjoyed. Very well built.
A while back I sold those and other expensive
handmade knives and expensive firearms I
had because of the increasing crime in the
area. I figured I'd rather have the money in
my pocket instead of my goods sitting in a
pawnshop somewhere. The current police
chief and DA are both closet BLM people
and won't try to solve or prosecute thefts.
The chief has even publicly stated that
blacks are " forced " to commit crimes
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Randall Knives - 08/30/20
I used to be lukewarm on them, then something changed. And it’s become a problem
Posted By: LeakyWaders Re: Randall Knives - 08/30/20
"Behind glass, no handling them." Pretty lame...they aren't gonna break. Doubt I'd go back to a store like that.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Randall Knives - 08/30/20
Originally Posted by MOGC
I have a friend that has fifty of the damned things. I've handled every one of them. I can't like them, they're heavy, thick behind the edge, low Rc heat treatment of average grade steel. Just not my thing.

Hmmm funny you say that kind of like the Ingrams, Mays, and Winstons of today and D2?????

Randall's are easy for all the non-sharpening folks!

Sharp is sharp no matter the material or RC. It's just how long the edge can and will stay sharp and on the other end how easy or more time consuming it is to maintain the edge. Key is never letting the edge deteriorate too far.
Posted By: Judman Re: Randall Knives - 08/30/20
Originally Posted by MOGC

Agreed, I’ll throw Ruana knives in there too.
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Randall Knives - 08/30/20
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I’ve always discounted Randall knives as being a Rambo sharpened pry bar type of knife.

Finally saw some in person today. A new gun shop i checked out had some from an estate sale they said.

Stag, micarta and one with paracord wrapped. 10 or so in total. All marked $649.

Behind glass, no handling them.

Really nice. Not a thick blade as i imagined.

Doubt I’ll ever have one. But kudos those that do.

Like most things in life all Randall's aren't created equal. This one is about the same size as a Buck 112 or early Ingram 7.
Spine is .120ish and behind the edge is .014. Weighs right at 4 oz.
Forged 01 at 57 is right at the sweet spot of Roman Landes' research for even grain distribution, acute edge holding and ease of touch-up.
I like it.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture IMG_0029.JPG
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Randall Knives - 08/30/20
The major problem with Randall's is they are an expensive small company factory knife. Love them or hate them they work as does an Ingram, May, and Winston's.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Randall Knives - 08/31/20
Back in my soldiering days the "big kids" had a Randall on their web gear and a Rolex on their wrist. We aspirants had a Kbar and a Seiko. To this day nothing touches a Randall for pure cool factor.

mike r
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Randall Knives - 08/31/20
I had this Randall with me in Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia, and Rwanda. But no Rolex!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: jberry Re: Randall Knives - 09/12/20
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I had this Randall with me in Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia, and Rwanda. But no Rolex!

Sweet knife. Thank you for your service.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Randall Knives - 09/12/20
Thank you jberry.
Posted By: michiganroadkill Re: Randall Knives - 09/13/20
from above
Back in my soldiering days the "big kids" had a Randall on their web gear and a Rolex on their wrist. We aspirants had a Kbar and a Seiko. To this day nothing touches a Randall for pure cool factor.

mike r

In 1969 I acquired a Rolex and was carrying an Pilots Survival Knife.
I still have both. I have had a couple Randalls a few years back, but they moved on
and I make my own now.
Posted By: stantdm Re: Randall Knives - 09/14/20
I am down to one Randall, an Alaska skinner. It is a good skinning knife and I don't use it for anything else. My favorite Randall was a Model 5 Camp and Trail with the 5" blade. Good all around knife.
Posted By: BlaineT Re: Randall Knives - 11/02/20
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Thank you for your service! Outstanding Randall.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Randall Knives - 11/05/20
Thanks BlaineT
© 24hourcampfire