Home
Posted By: jberry Do I need a machete? - 02/01/21
For some reason I am drawn to machetes now. I have no idea why, but am thinking if I get one, I may use it. Does everyone need a machete?
Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: Do I need a machete? - 02/01/21
Any kind of knives or guns are like girlfriends. You can never have too many.
Posted By: ShaunRyan Re: Do I need a machete? - 02/01/21
Everyone needs a machete. Some people need 2.
Posted By: jberry Re: Do I need a machete? - 02/01/21
talked me into it...Now, what kind do you recommend?
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Do I need a machete? - 02/01/21
I want one but have no need for it. I'd end up doing something stupid and hurting myself. I'll pass...
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Do I need a machete? - 02/01/21
My favorite was the now discontinued Cold steel two hand machete. Had a unbreakable handle.
I think I found one of those on eBay. May have to take a stab at it...
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Do I need a machete? - 02/01/21
This is the one i was talking about.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
OK.. That is not the one I found but will keep looking Thanks
Posted By: DBoston Re: Do I need a machete? - 02/01/21
Everyone needs a machete or five. Look on Sportsmans guide and they had a selection of five for cheap. I use them a fair amount and also like the Pack Goluk from Condor. If you do yard chores, or camp much you will use one. I like the Goluk for splitting the sternum on game, saves the edge on my other knives. If you get the selection from SG you can always donate the others to some parks or conservation group.

They still have them, here you go: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...ck-new?a=1923616&_br_psugg_q=machete
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Do I need a machete? - 02/01/21
I have one of these, seems to work for me.

Pictured item is not mine...am just too lazy to get off arse and take pics.

ebay

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Do I need a machete? - 02/01/21
What would you use it for in OK?
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Do I need a machete? - 02/01/21
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
What would you use it for in OK?

Growing up in southeast Kansas, we didn't call them machetes, we called them "corn knife"s. Random trimming of brush in a fence, a tree limb in the way of mowing, but the main use was for cutting 'weiner sticks' for having a 'weiner roast'. There was one particular type of brush, not even sure what it was, that grew long and straight. Used the corn knife for cutting off at the ground, whacking off the few limbs it would have, and cutting to length. Pocket knife for final sharpening, then skewer a hot dog and cook over a brush pile that generally should have been lit a few hours earlier than it ever was, resulting in too hot a fire to cook well and burns to the face and arms.
https://www.amazon.com/Ontario-Knife-1-18-Military-Machete/dp/B07S1YVL4W

This is what I use... they are bullet proof - literally. Used in the last 4 wars.
I don't know specifically what I would use it for, but I just think every man should have one...
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Do I need a machete? - 02/02/21
I've had two Tramontia (sp.? ) machetes for years. Keep one in the truck and the other in our vacation cabin in the Sierra Mtns. in Tulare County, Calif. I've used both quite a few times. Sold our cabin in the Sierra when we moved up here and left one there for the new owners. The other is still in my truck.

L.W.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Do I need a machete? - 02/02/21
I use one often when walking our property. Usually carry a wide stick as well to place in back of the briars I am trying to cut down. Keeps the blade out of the dirt and it will stay sharper longer.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Do I need a machete? - 02/02/21
Get a woodsman’s pal
Posted By: Judman Re: Do I need a machete? - 02/02/21
Hell ya you need a couple of em. Got cold steel bolo and kukuri, love em.
Posted By: Phoneman Re: Do I need a machete? - 02/02/21
hard to beat the cold steel kukuri
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Do I need a machete? - 02/02/21
I've got a few in the truck all the time. Great for brushing duck blinds. My buds like their battery powered hedge trimmer, but that can only go so far!
Posted By: ironbender Re: Do I need a machete? - 02/03/21
I have a bolo , but hardly ever use it. I find a shaving-sharp hatchet more useful here.

I can see a use if hacking cane or vines.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Do I need a machete? - 02/03/21
I bought one of these several years ago and it gets used often. It's good quality and I'll likely have it until I die...unless I lose it. It lives in the box on the back of an ATV. A little electric tape wrap on the handle to cover the bolts so I don't get lit up when hacking little saplings, etc that start under an electric fence and a paracord lanyard with bright beads on it so I can find it when I sit it down somewhere are my "custom" changes....

https://www.bladehq.com/item--ESEE-Knives-Lite-Machete--5995
Posted By: Boise Re: Do I need a machete? - 02/03/21
No, I have a Stihl weed wacker and a chainsaw. Never have seen the need for a machete. Ain't no pineapple, sugar cane, or thick jungle around here and I'm allowed CC. And good quality pruning shears for trimming.
Posted By: jberry Re: Do I need a machete? - 02/04/21
so many options...
the Kukuri is too pricey for me.
I like the ontario and the Tramontina. Are they too cheap?
© 24hourcampfire