Home
Posted By: mike7mm08 Bird and Trout Suggestions - 02/02/22
Been looking for the perfect BT for awhile now. Just can't find it. Trying to not go the expense of highend custom. Trouble I am having is finding a thin blade but still a decent grip thickness. Most have the shape of a BT but my EDC has thinner edge. Don't need a real strong blade as the knife will see much more trout than bird.Would really like D2 but open minded just won't go, AEB-L. So any suggestions other than bite the bullet and get on someones waitlist? Thanks
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Bird and Trout Suggestions - 02/02/22
Spring for a good one.
"Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten"
For a cheap knife that’ll work well for what you want.

Either a victorinox or f.dick poultry knife.

Another model with a slimmer blade is a “venting” knife.
If you like D2 you’ll love PSF27. It’s a spray form of D2 that better distributes the carbides in the steel matrix. I’ve had fantastic luck with it. Hit me up and I’ll get a bnt going for you.
Posted By: Lslite Re: Bird and Trout Suggestions - 02/02/22
AG Russell Woodswalker,small handle,but thin and sharp blade.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Bird and Trout Suggestions - 02/02/22
Originally Posted by Godogs57
If you like D2 you’ll love PSF27. It’s a spray form of D2 that better distributes the carbides in the steel matrix. I’ve had fantastic luck with it. Hit me up and I’ll get a bnt going for you.

I'd like to see a pic of your bird and trout model if it's not too much trouble

Thanks
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
For a cheap knife that’ll work well for what you want.

Either a victorinox or f.dick poultry knife.

Another model with a slimmer blade is a “venting” knife.

Smokey Mountain has a few paring knives priced under $10 from Benchmark, Dexter Russel, Hen & Rooster, J.A. Henkels, and Victorinox. I like the Victorinox Ceramic Tomato Knife for a general truck, pack, utility knife. SMKW's inventory number BMK210 priced at $7.99. Victorinox also sells a synthetic sheath for $7.99, SMKW's inventory number F40993.

"Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten", at least until you lose it.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Bird and Trout Suggestions - 02/02/22
I used a victorinox folding paring knife for a trout knife for many years

Never used it on birds that I remember. Guess I better buy one and try it on some quail. Lost mine a few years ago somehow

I have seen godogs work before. It’s fantastic. You would not be disappointed at all
Originally Posted by mike7mm08
Been looking for the perfect BT for awhile now. Just can't find it. Trying to not go the expense of highend custom. Trouble I am having is finding a thin blade but still a decent grip thickness. Most have the shape of a BT but my EDC has thinner edge. Don't need a real strong blade as the knife will see much more trout than bird.Would really like D2 but open minded just won't go, AEB-L. So any suggestions other than bite the bullet and get on someones waitlist? Thanks

Do you have a specific budget you are trying to stay within or under?

Is there a certain blade thickness you are targeting?

Tim Olt's (michiganroadkill) version of a BnT might meet your specifications. The one I have is 0.100" thick at the spine and flat ground. 3.25" blade length if I remember correctly. He leaves a little meat on the handle scales and you end up with a fairly round and neutral grip. I really like it. He usually has some blanks on hand so you may reach out to him and see what his price and turnaround may be currently. The one I have on hand was made with S30V but he has played with M4 and S35VN lately.
I couldn't find a B & T knife that suited me so I found a blank at a knifemaker supply place and handled it myself with some jigged cowbone. Gotta get busy and make a sheath for it.
Here’s a pair I finished for Christmas delivery. CPM154 stainless steel and exhibition grade desert ironwood.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Bird and Trout Suggestions - 02/03/22
Nice looking blades Hank!

Thanks for the photo
Originally Posted by Dude270
Nice looking blades Hank!

Thanks for the photo

Thanks! That’s a very popular pattern for me. I’ve made them in PSF27 and folks took to em well.

Thought you were a North Arm fan...?

They are making the Mallard now in CPM Magnacut... Not too many gonna top that for $105 with an awesome Kydex sheath...
Also, just out of curiosity - why no AEB-L?
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Bird and Trout Suggestions - 02/04/22
Originally Posted by Journeyman

Thought you were a North Arm fan...?

They are making the Mallard now in CPM Magnacut... Not too many gonna top that for $105 with an awesome Kydex sheath...

You just cost me 105 plus shipping. The blade profile of the mallard is not what I picture for a B&T but the steel and thin stock won me over.

Really looking forward to trying it out
Sorry for the delay getting back to this.

Yes I am a North Arm Fan. But like Dude270 I am not liking the profile. But it checks the other boxes. If I look at it enough I might settle for the mallard.

Hank gorgeous knives. Look a little meatier through the spine than I want. Little unsure on the handle as well. Anything other than straight line through the finger area I need to get in hand. Seems like nearly and protrusion always lands on finger instead of between them with my natural hold. Same way with finger groove pistol grips.

Journeyman I have had a few knifes in AEB L. No matter how much I tried my sharpening techniques never put a edge on I was happy with. Work D2 and several other steels the same way and I get perfect edge everytime.

As for specs and price. No more than 1/8 inch at the spine and a full flat grind and a fairly aggressive grind to get as thin of edge as possible.. Budget without going custom maker is 150ish. Anymore I will be better off just putting money to a custom.

Currently I have a Battlehorse Birch River. I like it but don't love it. Biggest complaint is the blade thickness. They say 1/8 but it is more like 5/32 and it is a rather conservative flat grind. Could of brought it to a much thinner edge in my opinion. But I guess as it is the knife is more multi purpose.

I will check out Tim Olt offerings.

Thanks for all the input.
I'll post up my take on the Mallard when I get it.

The blade shape is a little too "paring knife" for me but the quality of the materials and the thinness of the stock and thin grind really interested me. Most knives, especially B&Ts, are too thick for my tastes. Seems like like a whole lot of knife for $106.
Crappy picture, but what the heck. This is my Tim Olt bird and trout. 0.100" blade stock, about 3.25" blade length. Pretty handy blade that I keep finding more and more use for. While I haven't used it on fish, I have used it on several rabbits, squirrels and even a couple whitetails. Paired with one of his 5" boner patterns makes a HECK of a game processing combo.

[Linked Image]

Mike Miller makes a dandy.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: Judman Re: Bird and Trout Suggestions - 02/04/22
As does Ingram. Keep a eye out in the classifieds and be quick
Another B&T from gene
Posted By: MOGC Re: Bird and Trout Suggestions - 02/04/22
Victorinox...

Ingram...

Charles May...

Bret Dowell...

Menefee...

Howe mtn coconut husk micarta
Most of them are at our other place, but here are a few:

[Linked Image]

Attached picture IMG_0065 copy.JPG
Posted By: antlers Re: Bird and Trout Suggestions - 02/04/22
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]I agree with huntsman22; Mike Miller makes a sweet B&T.
This would fit the bill nicely too, ordered 2 1 for me, 1 for the boy, damn good for the scratch. $125 , Simon stonehocker outta Montana

Nice stuff fellas.

Jud, love those Westinghouse ingrams. Who made that holster your ruger is in in one of those pics?
Posted By: Judman Re: Bird and Trout Suggestions - 02/05/22
Dude, sp 101 327, holster is a “simply rugged”. Nice holsters, got a pancake holster for my 69 smith. They make a nice product. 👍
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]don t starve together can t move

[Linked Image]

That burlap in left towards bottom,

lt wright bandit?
My favorite knives, a Gene Ingram #4 B&T w/ Ebony scales and a David Winston #61 w/ Elk scales

Posted By: Dude270 Re: Bird and Trout Suggestions - 02/05/22
Originally Posted by Judman
Dude, sp 101 327, holster is a “simply rugged”. Nice holsters, got a pancake holster for my 69 smith. They make a nice product. 👍

Thanks, I have some holsters Rob made but all of mine are pancake style like the last one you posted, I like how trim that other one is.
Bought the old man an Ingram B&T #4 with iron wood scales and mosaic pins. Gorgeous knife. Don’t have any pics of it unfortunately.
Originally Posted by 257Deland
My favorite knives, a Gene Ingram #4 B&T w/ Ebony scales and a David Winston #61 w/ Elk scales

Boy that top one is a dandy. Love me some elk and ram horn scales. That sumbitch is just plain sexy!! 👍
That Winston looks great.

I've got the same model and love the pattern but my g10 sure doesn't hold a candle to that weathered elk
Ol school weathered elk Ingram, picked it up for a song here…
Posted By: MOGC Re: Bird and Trout Suggestions - 02/05/22
Weathered bone Ingram...

Posted By: BobMt Re: Bird and Trout Suggestions - 02/05/22

[Linked Image]

right side above the orange handled one......who makes that one.....bob
Originally Posted by BobMt

[Linked Image]

That's a victorinox paring knife
Ol school weathered elk Ingram, picked it up for a song here…

Love the knife and a really nice photo!!
Originally Posted by MOGC
Weathered bone Ingram...

Another sweet knife……Weathered Elk makes nice scales!!
Ladder Damascus Winston Model 45 I had made for my dad………….I apologize to the OP for going off topic…forgive me!!

Originally Posted by BobMt

[Linked Image]

North Arm B&T...
https://northarmknives.com/product/mallard-bird-and-trout-knife/?c=d115e58d09e2
If the rest of the North Arm knives are as nice as the Skaha II, their B&T is definitely worth checking out, especially at that price!!
Actually, I apologize, I misread. Above the orange handled knife is a Victorinox Paring knife like 257 said. My bad. In my original pic I posted a picture of three of them with kydex sheaths I got from our own Dave here on the Fire. Super handy little kits, Dave's kydex is fantastic and can't be beat for the price.
Another option that might work for you is the Remington R-1 folding bird knife. It has a gut hook, a thin blade, and a 12/20 choke tube blade.

A pair of 5.5" curved bandage scissors also works well of fish. Slide the lower blade into the vent and open it up without puncturing and of the organs.
Originally Posted by 257Deland
Ladder Damascus Winston Model 45 I had made for my dad………….I apologize to the OP for going off topic…forgive me!!

Damn it, love those scales!! 👍
Originally Posted by huntsman22

I love everything about this knife. Do you have contact info? A search reveals multiple knife makers with the same name. Thank you - Tim
member mike_e_miller. PM him.....
Posted By: Scottso Re: Bird and Trout Suggestions - 02/06/22
Jerry Hossom makes a great B&T
[Linked Image from cdn.arizonacustomknives.com]
different strokes......gag
Posted By: MOGC Re: Bird and Trout Suggestions - 02/06/22
Originally Posted by Scottso
Jerry Hossom makes a great B&T
[Linked Image from cdn.arizonacustomknives.com]

It has too much belly for my uses of a B&T knife. But different folks might absolutely love that design and it looks well put together and finely finished.
How the hell ya 'sposed to hold it? Like a pencil? Somebody ground the fugging handle off'n it......
Posted By: fshaw Re: Bird and Trout Suggestions - 02/06/22
Victorinox...

Ingram...

Charles May...

Bret Dowell...

Menefee...

MOGC,

Is the 2nd Charles May (8th knife down form top) a “Boutall”? Beautiful collection of knives.
How the hell ya 'sposed to hold it? Like a pencil? Somebody ground the fugging handle off'n it......

Just like any other knife, handle is plenty big enough for my mitts, actually very comfortable and controllable, scalpelesque if you would

How many geese you breasted with it?
How many geese you breasted with it?

None, trout, and squirrel mostly so far, pheasants as well👍🏻
Posted By: MOGC Re: Bird and Trout Suggestions - 02/06/22
Originally Posted by fshaw
Victorinox...

Ingram...

Charles May...

Bret Dowell...

Menefee...

MOGC,

Is the 2nd Charles May (8th knife down form top) a “Boutall”? Beautiful collection of knives.

You are the second guy to ask me specifically about that knife. It is an "Bout All" from Charles. And he is right, it's about all ya need for most game and edc task. I used that knife to gutless debone and quarter a couple deer to pack out of the hills and it was excellent in use. And I sold that knife to someone here on the Fire awhile back. One of those things you regret almost instantly. I will be replacing it when my name rolls back up on Charles list. Here on the Fire, Vince post one of these for sale occasionally and might be able to hook a guy up quicker than putting your name on the list with Mr. May.
Tim Olt made these for me some time back. I designed them. They work well with fish, birds and mammals. Reptiles as well. Many of the makers mentioned here can take your specs and give you exactly what works for you.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Since y’all’s liked my Hossom 👍🏻 Here’s another I use for B&T duty. A Tom Krein TK-1 with stag, and a perfect pocket sheath from the legend Paul Long. Big little knife

Thanks, Huntsman22

I ordered one of these from Mike, yesterday. I requested a 3 5/8" blade as opposed to the 3 1/8" and he's going to scale the rest of the knife accordingly. There will be black spacers and no lanyard hole.

This will be my first custom. Looking forward to see how it turns out. Now the wait...
Posted By: Mike78 Re: Bird and Trout Suggestions - 02/09/22
Opinel #8 slimline. Only about $20 so it won't impress anyone

[Linked Image from brandners-homestyle.de]
Posted By: woodson Re: Bird and Trout Suggestions - 02/10/22
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

Thanks, Huntsman22

I ordered one of these from Mike, yesterday. I requested a 3 5/8" blade as opposed to the 3 1/8" and he's going to scale the rest of the knife accordingly. There will be black spacers and no lanyard hole.

This will be my first custom. Looking forward to see how it turns out. Now the wait...

Good choice. Mike’s a super good dude. Doubt you’ll have to wait long. What scales did you opt for?
Posted By: Judman Re: Bird and Trout Suggestions - 02/10/22
Since y’all’s liked my Hossom 👍🏻 Here’s another I use for B&T duty. A Tom Krein TK-1 with stag, and a perfect pocket sheath from the legend Paul Long. Big little knife

Wow who made that sheath??
L.J. Rosi makes a nice one

Carpenters Reading PA cts-b75p powder steal 1%vanadium
Originally Posted by woodson
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

Thanks, Huntsman22

Good choice. Mike’s a super good dude. Doubt you’ll have to wait long. What scales did you opt for?

Stag with black liners.
Posted By: add Re: Bird and Trout Suggestions - 02/12/22

Wow who made that sheath??

If he had only posted it.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Bird and Trout Suggestions - 02/16/22
I received my north arm Mallard today.

I want to use it some before I make a judgment about it. I love the thin stock, thin grind, awesome steel and workmanship. The pattern is not how I normally view a B&T but I want to give it a fair shake.

It's a well made knife of superb materials, I'm going to give it some time and see how the blade shape works for me.
Try Behring Made. Not the cheapest, but it will be a good long term investment as James Behring is a phenomenal knife maker and probably still in his 30's. I have about seven of his knives and they are all perfect. He has a lot of knives ready on his website but if he makes a knife to your exact specs, turn around time is quick. Plan on spending about 350 for a bird and trout.
Here’s a pair I finished for Christmas delivery. CPM154 stainless steel and exhibition grade desert ironwood.

Those look great. I might need to call you again

[Linked Image]

Wilson's are as good as it gets, I didn't like the Bow River as much as the Bird and Trout.
Posted By: rd7fox Re: Bird and Trout Suggestions - 02/23/22
2 gobblers. One shot?
Originally Posted by pacecars

Those look great. I might need to call you again

Say when.
Originally Posted by mackafoose
L.J. Rosi makes a nice one

Carpenters Reading PA cts-b75p powder steal 1%vanadium

Not many knives really catch my attention. That one is exceptional!

I do love me some Bird and Trout blades.
© 24hourcampfire