Home
Looking for a good portable sharpener. It will only be used to sharpen fillet knives with blades 6-8 inches long.
Please toss me some ideas.
When fishing in Alaska for salmon I carried a Lansky ceramic - diamond rod box in my backpack. Great for tuneups and rods stored in a wood box. I made my filet knife out of CPM-M4. Rockwell 65C. Did tons of fish between tuneups. Not loaning it to my buddies was key to edge retention! The stainless filet tables on the Russian River are hard on knifes.
Most of the 10" to 12" Diamond coated rods will get the job done for you! I've used one for kitchen knives, fillet knives, pocket knives, Tomahawks, you name it!

Mundial makes a decent one, as does Dexter Russell and so forth. I prefer the 12" as it's easier to use with long knives.

Frog---OUT!
I’ve learned the key is not let it get dull….

For rapala style knives, i use the yellow lansky pull through sharpener.

For the nicer knives I’ve had made, i use a ceramic rod.
https://products.radacutlery.com/products/quick-edge-knife-sharpener
A Dexter Russel steel to touch up. I've cleaned over 100 fish many times and never needed anything except a few swipes on the steel every dozen or so. Other than the steel a red DMT stone for actual sharpening.

Do not use one of the above tungsten wheel sharpeners on anything worth a damn.
EZ Lap folding diamond sharpener . Folds up like a butterfly knife . Alot of makers and users I know ,and myself too ,use these

Yep.

And a Dexter Russell Steel.
Originally Posted by RHClark

Why?
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by RHClark

Why?

Because they will actually rip and tear micro serrations off the edge. Occasionally they can tear even larger strips. It will put a working edge on your knife, but it won't get it as sharp as a stone. They remove more metal than necessary, and you would have to remove even more with a good stone if you wanted to get rid of the micro serrations.

Ordered one of these and will give it a try next trip for salmon. I was looking for something small and short to fit inside my day pack.
Originally Posted by VinceM
EZ Lap folding diamond sharpener . Folds up like a butterfly knife . Alot of makers and users I know ,and myself too ,use these

This.
I always keep a ceramic stick in my boat. tune up the edges every few fish and they are quick and easy
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Looking for a good portable sharpener. It will only be used to sharpen fillet knives with blades 6-8 inches long.
Please toss me some ideas.

[Linked Image from cdn.shopify.com]

Small - palm sized. Carbide on one side, ceramic on other. They do a decent job.
^^^^^

Same type of sharpener that Rapala sells with their fillet knives but with just the ceramic only.
© 24hourcampfire