Home
Posted By: dhershberger Ingram or Charles May? - 01/12/10
I may have stirred the hornets nest. I know that these two makers are friends (at least thats what I have heard). Any thoughts on the difference of their designs, quality, or is it just personal preference? I have seen alot of talk on the forum about Mr. Ingram, but not so much about Mr. May.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Ingram or Charles May? - 01/12/10
I have had knives from both of them and cant tell any difference in quality myself just different takes on the shape of the knives themselves.

Both men are complete gentleman to deal with.

gene
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Ingram or Charles May? - 01/12/10
Agree completely with gene270, both make excellent knives of the highest quality.
Posted By: Monashee Re: Ingram or Charles May? - 01/12/10
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Agree completely with gene270, both make excellent knives of the highest quality.
I agree as well,I have knives from both makers I think the quality is the same it boils down to what you like in an individual knife! Monashee
Posted By: troutfly Re: Ingram or Charles May? - 01/12/10
I have a number of knives from Charlie with a couple on order including one which is of my own design. Top notch stuff IMHO. Great guy to deal with as well. He has some different blade styles which appealed to me.
Posted By: Geno Re: Ingram or Charles May? - 01/12/10
I agree with gene270 also. I couldn't have said it any better !!!!!
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Ingram or Charles May? - 01/14/10
dhershberger-Where in Kansas are you? I grew up in SEK, school in Manhattan, lived in Dodge for a summer, now by Pittsburg on the Missouri side-

Don't have a May, but 3 Ingrams with 3 more on order. From looks, quality appears the same, but I prefer the style of the Ingrams. Of all the custom blades out there actually, there is just something about his shapes that I like the best.

Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: Ingram or Charles May? - 01/15/10
there is just something about his shapes that I like the best.

I agree 100% with this comment. Genes knives just fit my eye as well.

Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Ingram or Charles May? - 01/16/10
Does Gene offer a Skandi grind? I never asked him. Charlie May does a nice job with that.
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: Ingram or Charles May? - 01/16/10
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Does Gene offer a Skandi grind? I never asked him. Charlie May does a nice job with that.

I don't know. The scandi grind doesn't appeal to me so I have not asked.
Posted By: FOsteology Re: Ingram or Charles May? - 01/16/10
I have both their wares, but I much prefer Gene's knives as he simply has more patterns that feel better in my hands.

No difference in quality from either.

Simply boils down to a personal preference.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Ingram or Charles May? - 01/16/10
FWIW, you can put Erwin Roach (e3ck here at the 'fire) and Dave Winston in that group as well. All 4 live within a very drive of each other, all 4 are good friends, all 4 give advice to one another, and all 4 make very comparable, VERY nice knives.

I have, or have had, examples by each of them, and there is no difference in quality nor in the quality of the person with whom you will deal.
Posted By: 1234567 Re: Ingram or Charles May? - 01/16/10
Could someone post some pictures of the May knives? I don't think I have ever seen a picture of one of his knives
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Ingram or Charles May? - 01/16/10
Some Charles May knives from his website, these were the first 3 I saw that caught my eye the most.

Fish Bone:
[img]http://charlesmayknives.blademakers.com/Image_Knife.asp?Ident_Value=2588[/img]

The Bobwhite
[img]http://charlesmayknives.blademakers.com/Image_Knife.asp?Ident_Value=2322[/img]

Lil' Big Woods
[img]http://charlesmayknives.blademakers.com/Image_Knife.asp?Ident_Value=2132[/img]

have to click the link unless somebody can fix it for me-
Posted By: 1234567 Re: Ingram or Charles May? - 01/16/10
Thanks. Those are some really nice knives.

The Bob White would be my first choice.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Ingram or Charles May? - 01/16/10
+1 on Erwin Roach and David Winston. I've got knives from each and they are fine quality knives.

I've been using a scandi grind Slitter from Charles May so far this year. I trade around and try a lot of knives, but for field dressing and later skinning, I think I like the feel of this knife better than any I've tried. To me it seems to be "the one".

I'm waiting to try an Ingram #7 to see how it fits compared to Mr. May's Slitter.

They are all quality makers putting out fine knives. Cutting style, hand size, what part of the blade you use most, look, etc....these are very individual things. You can put a standard on a steel, test hardness, etc....but the style of a knife may match up or go against the way a person uses it for a task. Find one you like, put it to use....you can't go wrong with any of these makers and if doesn't match your "style" of cutting someone will be willing to take it off your hands.

JCM
Posted By: harleyguy02 Re: Ingram or Charles May? - 01/18/10
I have had a few of both makers knives..

I prefer Ingram style a little more, that being said I have a Charles May Lil Friend that is spectacular. That knifes blade shape is similar to my Dozier K2 which is my favorite.

The thing about these makers is that you can use them for years, and if you take care of them the resale is outstanding..

Posted By: troutfly Re: Ingram or Charles May? - 01/18/10
Originally Posted by harleyguy02
I have had a few of both makers knives..

I prefer Ingram style a little more, that being said I have a Charles May Lil Friend that is spectacular. That knifes blade shape is similar to my Dozier K2 which is my favorite.

The thing about these makers is that you can use them for years, and if you take care of them the resale is outstanding..

I have a May Lil friend on order, due this fall. I asked him to put a Scandi Grind on it. I really like the way that a Scandi has good strength, holds it's edge, and resharpens quickly. All the knives I order from Charlie have a Scandi grind now.
Posted By: SFCSNOW Re: Ingram or Charles May? - 01/20/10
Have both...enjoy both...have more of both on order. Both are top notch. I have to say Charlie has MANY patterns not shown on his site. If you visit him he has a couple of drawers full of pattern blanks. His Bobwhite is a great little knife. One of his others not seen around here is his Turkey Spur. GREAT little skinner. I'll post up a pic when it gets back from him. He is touching up the edge for me since it's seen so much action this season!!
Posted By: troutfly Re: Ingram or Charles May? - 01/20/10
I have another one ordered that is a combination of the Bobwhite and the Slitter, also with a Scandi grind. Charlie liked the idea of this one so it will be interesting to see how his vision of this comes out. Will be a dedicated waterfowl/upland bird knife.
Posted By: EDMHUNTER Re: Ingram or Charles May? - 01/20/10
Only difference is Charles May are about 1.5 year wait and Ingram is 3 year. Quality is the same, just time and knife shape.
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

I haven't seen it on any Ingram knives or seen mention of it being done on his site. Lots of Ingrams out there but all have a standard grind.
Posted By: harleyguy02 Re: Ingram or Charles May? - 01/20/10
I have had a couple in scandi and it is stronger and is easy to sharpen. However the thickness does not lend itself to hunting applications very well IMO.

So it all depends what your going to use it for.. That lil friend is a sweet handling knife..For field dressing and skinning is where it shines. If I was going to use it as a utility knife then the scandi would be better. Your going to love the choil on this knife..

I spoke with Mr. Ingram yesterday and I have 5 knives coming.. They have been on order for 11 months.. He quoted me sept 2012 until he gets ready to build them.. Ouch.. Worth the wait for sure:)

My primary hunting blades are Charlie's Slitter and a Big Hand, both with the Scandi grind. I find the Scandi very easy to use for gutting/skinning. I guess it depends upon likes/dislikes. Kind of like who makes the better knife: Gene or Charlie.

I ordered the Lil Friend with the Scandi as an EDC/utility knife. Will likely use it hunting as well. Looking forward to it in Sept this year.

The other one I have ordered has a modified Slitter blade on a Bobwhite handle. Scandi grind of course. Should have it in Nov/Dec I hope. Guess I'm hooked on that style.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Ingram or Charles May? - 01/26/10
I will be getting a bird and trout with a scandi grind from Charlie shortly. i think that it will be a neat little camp knife, perfect for small game.
Posted By: troutfly Re: Ingram or Charles May? - 01/27/10
Charlie's B&T w/Scandi grind was my intro to his work. Bought it here on the "Fire. Great camp knife, as well, it resides in my flyfishing vest as I do enjoy the occassional fresh from the creek trout meal. Cast iron pan on an open fire, butter, salt and pepper......
You will like it.
The Slitter/Bobwhite he is making me will be my small game/bird game knife.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Ingram or Charles May? - 01/29/10
I am really looking forward to the scandi/bird trout configuration. I seriously considered the bobwhite with scandi, but wanted something a tad larger.
Posted By: troutfly Re: Ingram or Charles May? - 01/29/10
Tough choices, just ask my bank account!
© 24hourcampfire