Home
Posted By: Mannlicher Langsax - 07/22/10
I have wanted a pattern welded seax for many years. I found a blade smith up in Connecticut, that forges in the old style.
He has made for me, a langsax, or viking style short sword.
The blade is 22" long, 1.24" wide, .25" thick at ricasso, with some taper toward point. The maker says it is VERY sturdy, and razor sharp. In the old days, a blade like this would take off a leg or arm with one swipe.
The blade is hand forged damascus. 350 layers of 1080 and 15N20 steel. The handle, and sheath are made of Walnut, with damascus fittings, and has copper accents. He will ship the blade the first of August, when I get back from my week on the AT.
this is the pattern on the blade
[Linked Image]
This is the blade
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Langsax - 07/22/10
Very Viking cool!
Posted By: mike_e_miller Re: Langsax - 07/23/10
I told Kevin I really like the high layer pattern and the earthy look to the blade.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Langsax - 07/23/10
Kevin is a hoot. PhD professor of Psychology, at a University in Connecticut.

Texas boy though, hunts, shoots, fishes.
Posted By: pike3e Re: Langsax - 07/25/10
Sweet blade. I saw that on another forum that Kevin posts to.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Langsax - 07/25/10
Kevin let me design the blade. I used some old pictures to settle on the exact blade shape, handle material and shape, and sheath.
I wanted not just a slasher/chopper, but one that was more in the German style, that could also stab.
Kevin made the blade true to period specs, with damascus fittings, minimal handle guard, and a useable pommel. I did not want a fuller, although that would be correct for the period.
He forged the blade with minimal distal taper. I want it hell for stout!
He and I have been discussing this blade for about 6 months. I sent payment today, and he will ship on the first.

Oh my!
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Langsax - 08/06/10
The Langsax is on the way. UPS should have it here by Monday next.
Here is a picture of the finished Walnut sheath.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Langsax - 08/06/10
Alright, now that's just cool.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Langsax - 08/09/10
The UPS man just delivered. cool

This is one SERIOUS blade my friends. 22 inches long, .25 thick, sharp as Grand Dad's razor, and fearsome to hold and swing.
Kevin did a wonderful job, producing a period correct damascus pattern, handle, sheath, fittings and shape.
[Linked Image]

And for size comparison beside my 7" blade [Linked Image]Randall #14, my previous 'go to defense blade'.
Posted By: Boise Re: Langsax - 08/09/10
Cool blade, nice Damascus, and it's just got to be the biggest knife in the neighborhood.
© 24hourcampfire