Home
Interested in suggestions for a sort of "gray man's" tactical knife... main use general camp stuff.... aside from sharp and sturdy enough not to break, what do you look for in a knife that might <God forbid> be used for self defense?

Specific suggestions? Budget up to $200.00 or so if needed... a bit more if that would bring a realistic improvement in performance.

Thanks
A Buck #119 Special should do the trick.Spend the extra money on ammo.
You might take a look at the ESEE-6. Sounds like it might be right up your alley.

www.eseeknives.com
Strider.
Depending on the size of knife you are looking for, I would recommend the ESEE line. I'm also fond of the Benchmade Nimravus for a smaller fixed blade production knife. You might also want to check out Bark River Knives, they have some pretty solid looking fixed blades starting around $70 and going up to $200. I've never used a Bark River, but I have heard and read lots of great things about them. Let me know if you need a supplier. I have a couple of dealers I buy from that have some pretty good deals and customer service.
Strider, Strider, Strider. But there are a few others out there too. LOL smile
That Bark River Bravo 2 looks like a badass knife too...it might be worth lookin' at for your purposes.
I'd suggest either Fallkniven or Bark River Bravo's.

My favorites are the Barkie Bravo 1 or the Fallkniven F-1 for general use. Here's a pic that shows both together:

[Linked Image]

They are the 2nd and 3rd knives from that top. If you want a longer blade you could go with a Bravo 2 or Fallkniven A-1 but I think you'll find them less usefull for general work than the shorter models. The Marine Corps K-bar is far less usefull in the feild than any of the others in the pic, I included it for size reference.

FWIW the Bravo-1 is what Marine Corps Force Recon came up with for the same basic sets of requirements as you've listed. Here's the story and the knife from a good supplier:

http://www.crystalfallstradingcompany.com/barkriver-bravo1.php

Nothing really wrong with Strider knives (well other than not having convex edges) but for three times the price of a Fallniven F-1 you won't get any better (if as good) of performance. You could afford the Bark River, Mora and Fallkniven for the price of 1 Strider.................DJ

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth.........................DJ

For reference:

Bark River
Bravo 2
Bravo 1
Gunny

[Linked Image]
I know more Marines in FAST Company, STA, and Recon that carry Strides then any other makers combined. These guys carry whatever they want to, not what is issued to them. Having worked closely with 3rd Marines for a number of years that is what I saw.
That Bravo 1 in red linen micarta kinda trips my trigger.
I've a Bravo 1 and EESE RC-5. I'd go with the ESEE RC-5 over the Bravo 1.
The Bravo 1 is a nice enough knife but the edge micro rolls/chips pretty easy as it comes from the factory and,IMO, is way over hyped.
I also hate the gimped protrusion on the top. Instead of aiding being able to apply pressure with your thumb it hinders.
I like the RC-5's handle material, grind, and coated blade better than the Bravo 1. Both are pretty substantial knifes and capable of quite a bit.
Here is a pic of my Bravo 1 after almost 2 months EDC on the farm.
[Linked Image]
I hear alot of guys rave about Strider, but I just don't see it. They do have a new fixed blade that is thier version of the Marine Combat Knife (not a bad looking knife), but the best price I have seen on it thus far is $375. For that price I can get a true custom made to my specs by a top maker as opposed to a custom production.

I hadn't thought of the F-1 when I initially posted. Once again, I have no personal experience with them, but I hear and read great things about them.
Originally Posted by Murphda2
For that price I can get a true custom made to my specs by a top maker as opposed to a custom production knife.

I feel the same way about that Bravo 1...I like it...but I can get a real custom for what one of those costs.

The Bravo 1 is of pretty substantial proportions and most customs of like size jump in price pretty good from what I've seen.
I'm a little peeved that the rivet/bolt broke on my Bravo's kydex sheath. If anyone knows where to get steel of same I'd appreciate it.
FVA, do you have a pic of the damage? It can most likely be repaired pretty easily. Unless the kydex is damaged, it is most likely a 30 second fix.
You can see the broken rivet/bolt in the pic above. It is a simple fix but I'm thinking aluminum will break again.
I'd drill it out and use a chicago screw or add an eyelet and convert to a Tek-Lok. If you need it done, let me know. All you have to do is cover shipping.
Yes Striders have really gone up in price and fast. I bought my first Strider for $75 4 years ago. There are still a few models in the $150ish to $200ish range. I believe the MFS is right around there anyways. They are great knives and they stand behind them no questions asked. I really like the golfball G10 scales.
Originally Posted by Murphda2
I'd drill it out and use a chicago screw or add an eyelet and convert to a Tek-Lok. If you need it done, let me know. All you have to do is cover shipping.

Thanks for the kind offer.
Here is a better pic. Good one on right, obviously.
I haven't took the time to contact the manufacture or look around for the rivet/bolt which I believe is rightly called a Chicago screw.
I really want one that isn't made of aluminum like factory as I don't see those as SHTF tough. Took the knife right our of EDC.
I also lost the plastic spacer though that could be done without.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Yes Striders have really gone up in price and fast. I bought my first Strider for $75 4 years ago. There are still a few models in the $150ish to $200ish range. I believe the MFS is right around there anyways. They are great knives and they stand behind them no questions asked. I really like the golfball G10 scales.

I never heard of them so did a google.
From the little I browsed it looks like their fixed blades start at $300- and go up. Saw one with S30V even.
I know they have a few models under $300 I have not priced any lately but I would bet you can find some on plaza cutlers website. I think the WP's are maybe even under $200? Dan is a hell of a good guy to deal with too.
FWIW Bark River sells a version of the Bravo-1 without the thumb rest. They will also grind the one off yours if you don't feel comfortable doing so. Bark River would likely replace what's broken if you contact them.

Was your Bravo-1 A-2 or CMP 154CM?

I replaced the sheaths of a couple of my Bravo-1 Sheaths with Sharpshooter sheaths:

[Linked Image]

They also make leather horizontal sheaths for the Bravo-1 and stuff for the ESEE's too:

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/index.php?cPath=489_628

Anyway, I hope you get your sheath worked out just the way you like it......................dj

It is A-2. I like the kydex sheath. It carries the knife up high and pretty out of sight the way I dress. Also it is easy to keep clean and doesn't hold moisture.
I'm sure Bark River will take care of the sheath. I'll likely grind off the thumb rest myself.
Nice sheaths. I like your handles too. Canvas macarta? Believe mine is linen and not as grippy.
I do like the handle shape as you can get your weight into using this knife.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
[Linked Image]

Tim, been meaning to ask you what you want for one of those.
[Linked Image]
Model T-10
Option for the butt are -- flush handle, chisel edge, pointed.
A-2 .150"x10" @ 59Rc cryo tempered.
Hard sheath. Can have modified model with interchangeable loop for MOLLE tunnel for those who need that.

After this weekend show, will know what is left. Any interested can pm me for availability and pricing.
Mink--I will get back with you first.
Thanks
Tim
Tim, thanks and look forward to hearing from you.
I like the Bark River Gameskeeper II for an all around knife. Plenty heavy enough for any camp work plus you can bone easily enough with it. Have one in spalted maple and it is just about too pretty to use. That said, I do have a rampless Bravo I in carbon on order--but no reason for another knife...

Gameskeepr II

Tim--do you have your knives on a page?
Not the prettiest in the world, but this original Becker BK-7 is extremely practical (and priced to sell at $70.) smile

[Linked Image]
Thanks for the input guys.... never explored the medium heavy duty knife world before... would be easy to spend a bunch of money esp on the Bark River Bravo 1 with up grade scales and an extra cross draw sheath...

The ESEE 5 has a lot going for it IMO... really wish it didn't have the skull on the blade though... seems like a prosecuting attorney would just love to see that if the knife was ever used in defense.

I have a small Dozier that came with a cross draw Kydex sheath... I find this to be a very handy carry system for a knife with a 3" blade... not so sure about how it would workout with a 4" or 5" blade though... thoughts?

The idea of a shoulder rig with a medium heavy knife on one side and flashlight and spare clip of ammunition on the other might have some merit... who makes such a rig? Pretty sure I would want Kydex there too...

Lowest base price I have found on the ESEE 5 was $148.95 and the Bravo 1 was $187.95 IIRC. If someone is aware of better pricing I would appreciate a PM about it.

Thanks again.

I know it's cheap and so am I, but I really like my Schrade Deerslayer and its blaze orange handle. I have its baby brother Sharpfinger also with a blaze orange handle. China-made but both for less than $50 total.

The Deerslayer is a little big for a skinning knife, IMHO, so it's in my camp kit for a butcher knife. It ought to be easy to find in the camping stuff in the back of my pickup. Anyway, that's how I justified buying it when I knew dang well I simply wanted it.
Yeah one of many knifes I already own and my hatchet would be more "practical" for "bushcraft" use... My Kahr PM 9 is almost certainly a better defensive weapon....

Truth be told I just finished reading a new espionage novel, Power Down <A new release that was really pretty good BTW> and realized that I have never owned a knife that was designed for any heavier use that processing deer. So I'm in the same boat... I just want a gray man knife.

Michiganroadkill made these for me. The top knife is A2 steel with micarta scales, the lower is S30V with Bocote wood. Both of them are hard use beasts, and can take just about any kind of punishment. Both excel at woods craft tasks, and would do as well as a defense blade. They take and hold an amazing sharp edge.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

Lowest base price I have found on the ESEE 5 was $148.95 and the Bravo 1 was $187.95 IIRC. If someone is aware of better pricing I would appreciate a PM about it.

Thanks again.

Knife Works will sell you one like this, for $129.95. I just know you are not seriously concerned about the logo on the blade though. shocked
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Michiganroadkill made these for me. The top knife is A2 steel with micarta scales, the lower is S30V with Bocote wood. Both of them are hard use beasts, and can take just about any kind of punishment. Both excel at woods craft tasks, and would do as well as a defense blade. They take and hold an amazing sharp edge.
[Linked Image]

I like the looks of those....................DJ
Did a quick search and found this company. I know nothing about the company, but they seem to have some pretty good prices on ESEEs. Price seems to be a bit steep on the #5 ($143.99), but they have the #6 listed at $118.99 and the #4 at $91.99

http://www.chestnutridgeknifeshop.c...;osCsid=ee56c78d8f0cf909f8893657ac793bf6
I have a Falkniven F1 Swedish Pilot knife. It is outstanding, but not large.

Somewhere, I have an older A G Russell SS Blackie Collins survival knife. It is similar to their newer "stash" knife from Japan, only in stainless.

Those knives from MRK look very nice. He does some outstanding work.
Sorry to chime in here on the Strider comments, but you guys need to learn the history on the two leaders of that company. Mick Strider and Dwayne Dwyer have both been called out as military posers and phoneys.

Buy their knives if you like them and if you can deal with their lack of integrity. As for me, I'll spend my money where I can count on the character of the guy making the blades
Sam, looks like you may have bought out all the $129.95 ESEE 5s... good on you for giving some to young men being deployed...

I really do think the skull is pretty tacky... but I'm frugal and was thinking about overlooking that for a bargain deal.

I could like something in S30V... I'll send a PM off to the member you listed about price delivery time....

300WinMag, that is some ugly background on the Strider company...military posers are a special kind of low life IMO.
I just bought the ESEE 4 with the intended purposes that you've stated. It is a very nice knife. I don't think I'd want any larger. Knivesshipfree for $99.12 to the door in three days.
[Linked Image]
While looking for my Blackie Collins, I ran onto a very nice Gerber. It appears to be a Prodigy model, but is in a Remington nylon sheath. I swap knives into sheaths that I like more better. As I dig around, I will probably find a Remington in a nasty Gerber sheath. Good luck.
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Thanks for the input guys.... never explored the medium heavy duty knife world before... would be easy to spend a bunch of money esp on the Bark River Bravo 1 with up grade scales and an extra cross draw sheath...

The ESEE 5 has a lot going for it IMO... really wish it didn't have the skull on the blade though... seems like a prosecuting attorney would just love to see that if the knife was ever used in defense.

I have a small Dozier that came with a cross draw Kydex sheath... I find this to be a very handy carry system for a knife with a 3" blade... not so sure about how it would workout with a 4" or 5" blade though... thoughts?

The idea of a shoulder rig with a medium heavy knife on one side and flashlight and spare clip of ammunition on the other might have some merit... who makes such a rig? Pretty sure I would want Kydex there too...

Thanks again.

www.knifesupply.com has good prices on bark rivers. Just keep checking as their inventory rotates and don't expect much feed back from them. They have not failed after 3 barks I bought from them.
© 24hourcampfire