Home
Posted By: carbon12 Mosaic pins - 08/11/11
Anyone else getting tired of seeing them?

Posted By: antlers Re: Mosaic pins - 08/11/11
I don't get tired of seeing them. I like em'. I think they look real good if there are no flaws in them. And functionally, they're as strong as anyone using the knife will ever need.
Posted By: captainzeke Re: Mosaic pins - 08/11/11
Whats wrong with them they look awesome
I like em on most knives. They add a bit of eye appeal at little to no cost to the strength of the handles.

Occasionally a design will just not need them and I appreciate that also.
Posted By: carbon12 Re: Mosaic pins - 08/11/11
Originally Posted by captainzeke
Whats wrong with them they look awesome

Mosaic pins on a knife remind me of the inletted ivory diamonds on the vintage California style Weatherby stocks and, more recently, tramp stamps on a fine looking woman's back. Just prefer plain SS or brass pins on knife handles. Purely a personal choice.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Mosaic pins - 08/11/11
I am no fan of them.
Posted By: pike3e Re: Mosaic pins - 08/11/11
When I first got into custom knives, both buying and making, i thought they were pretty cool. As my tastes have evolved I am not as fond of them. However I would not have a problem using them again if the design or customer called for them.
pike3e I agree 100% and that is pretty much how I felt and feel now. The thing I don't like is all these guys using them on basically every model you see come out of their shop. I think they are very over used. I see no need at all for them on a working knife. But that is just me.
Posted By: aablades Re: Mosaic pins - 08/11/11
Although totally unnecessary, it never hurts to put a little lipstick on even the prettiest girl !!
Posted By: 1234567 Re: Mosaic pins - 08/11/11
The same can be said for liners and spacers and engraving. They serve no useful purpose, but then there is that 'lipstick' factor.

My opinion is that red liners turn a knife with ivory or ivory micarta scales from just a so so knife into something that catches your eye, and if set up at a knifeshow, can also make the difference between a sale or a no-sale.

Face it, decoration is what attracks people to the high end knives.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Mosaic pins - 08/11/11
I worked through my mosaic pin addiction and while they can add some life to plain micarta, I can live without them today....If you like them, the very best are made by Barry Posner.

Some examples..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A couple with just ss "bolts" from Wayne Hendrix..

[Linked Image]

I have several customs on order now from Menefee and Dowell that will have ss pins and liners only.

Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: Mosaic pins - 08/11/11
I have liked them in the past,especially on the Ivory Micarta. However... I have an Ingram combo that will be in the mail sometime next week that is Amboyna Burl with SS pins. For some reason on that wood, I thought SS pins to be the better choice.

I think that's a good choice too. That wood usually has alot of figure and color and mosaics would probably detract from the looks of that wood.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Mosaic pins - 08/11/11
I've never favored mosaics...nothing wrong with them, I think they look great on knives, but I've never desired them.

Lately I've really come to like hollow pins and solid colored micarta pins:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by aablades
Although totally unnecessary, it never hurts to put a little lipstick on even the prettiest girl !!

To each there own. I would much perfer a beautiful woman not have an make-up on.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Mosaic pins - 08/11/11
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

To each there own. I would much perfer a beautiful woman not have an make-up on.

I vote for a beautiful woman with nothing on as well!?... grin
Originally Posted by 1234567

How many use high-end knives? Before you answer that what do you call high-end? I know a few guys that use truly high-end knives and I have myself from time to time. I can take them or leave them on a high-end knife. Personally still rather not have them. My orginal post said working knives. To me working knives would include Ingram, Winston's, May, Dozier, and the likes that are often spoken about on here. You don't have to agree but that is my take on it. Again for me they are way over used on working knives.
I'm digging the looks of that Bob White scandi. I guess mosaics are very personal, either you like em or don't. I've seen some really cheezy looking mosaics that look like they were made in some drug rehab craft class. One bit of advise for anyone wanting them would be to stay away from ones using copper tubing as they tarnish rather quickly. Stainless and brass combo's seem to hold up best for the long haul.
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: Mosaic pins - 08/11/11
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

I vote for a beautiful woman with nothing on as well!?... grin

I prefer nothing on but a smile.
That works for me!
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Mosaic pins - 08/11/11
when I order a knife, I will tell the maker what sort of pins to use. Mosaic pins work for me on some blades, less so on others.

All of my knives are users. I have no 'collectibles', show pieces or the like. Fancy knives with bling are not very interesting to me.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Mosaic pins - 08/11/11
I've got 4 Ingram's, all used, all Desert Ironwood, with mosaics, and I like them.

I've got a David Winston, bone handle, stainless pin, and I like them.

I hate liners.

I hate hollow pins.

I hate micarta pins.

I dislike most bolters.

To each his own.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Mosaic pins - 08/12/11
That makes me smile....I no longer own a knife with wood handles...I no longer own a knife with mosaics....I no longer own a knife without liners...To each his own...
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Mosaic pins - 08/12/11
I should add I hate none of those...
Posted By: 1234567 Re: Mosaic pins - 08/12/11
Originally Posted by 1234567

How many use high-end knives? Before you answer that what do you call high-end?

Knives inlaid with rare and expensive metals, engraving, etching, knives made by someone such as Loveless, as the Gut Hook pictured on another thread. Knives that speak quality from just being on display, even if plain, again using Loveless' Gut Hook as an example. Other examples are the Romey and Miller knives pictured on these forums.

The OP did not specify working knives. Any high end knife can be used as a working knife, if it is really high end in material, steel, heat treating, workmanship and design.

I think Randall speaks quality and high end as loud as any maker's knives, but they are not in the $1000.00 to +$10,000.00 range. There are probably more Randalls in collections as there are working knives in the field, but they still speak quality whether in a collector's display or in a hunter's pack.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Mosaic pins - 08/12/11
After getting to be chummy with VinceM, my definition of "high end" has changed. There's a difference between "high end" and high cost.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Mosaic pins - 08/12/11
There is a difference between high-end and high cost for sure. $100- could be high cost for some knives. I have bought and sold knives for around 20 years. I have used knives that were very expensive all the way to a down right bargin. What I have found is there are a few makers that stand head and shoulders above. Then there is a little bit bigger group of makers that are damn fine makers.
Posted By: croldfort Re: Mosaic pins - 08/13/11
I like the look of Desert Ironwood much better with Mosaics. I guess that I just like Mosaics and liners.

I just got Al Alxeander's Bartahatchie Skinner with African Zebra Wood, green liners, and mosaics. It is sweet. A hefty knife that fills my hand and purty, too.
Posted By: jpb Re: Mosaic pins - 08/13/11
Originally Posted by croldfort
I just got Al Alxeander's Bartahatchie Skinner with African Zebra Wood, green liners, and mosaics. It is sweet. A hefty knife that fills my hand and purty, too.

So where is the picture?! Come'on, you should know the rules! wink

Seriously, while I appreciate the workmanship of the Ingrams and Mays that we see here, I am looking for a knife that will fill my hands better -- I like Zebrawood, so yours sounds very interesting!

John
John, you can see a pic of this knife on the post "Another Bartahatchie Skinner" by aablades posted 7/31.
Posted By: antlers Re: Mosaic pins - 08/13/11

Congratulations. That's a great looking knife. The lines on his Bartahatchie Skinner are very fine indeed...and yours in particular is a sweet package.
John, you can see a pic of this knife on the post "Another Bartahatchie Skinner" by aablades posted 7/31.

Found it!

[Linked Image]

Sweet! Are the scales nice and thick too?

John
I'm not sure how to answer. I believe that they are thicker than most of these type of knives.

http://aablades.blademakers.com/
Thanks croldfort

Before I posted I visited the website, but found no pictures of his knives from above.

Oh well, perhaps I will just have to order what I want! smile

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

John
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Mosaic pins - 08/13/11
Originally Posted by jpb

Seriously, while I appreciate the workmanship of the Ingrams and Mays that we see here, I am looking for a knife that will fill my hands better -- I like Zebrawood, so yours sounds very interesting!

John

You could also take a look at David Winston knives which are thicker through the handle than Ingram and May knives.
RDFinn,

Thanks for the info.

I have seen pictures of some Winstons, but I was not aware that the handles were thicker so I will pay more attention to them from now on.

John
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Mosaic pins - 08/14/11
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Originally Posted by jpb

John

You could also take a look at David Winston knives which are thicker through the handle than Ingram and May knives.

I'm sure that if you asked Ingram or May, they would be happy to make the scales thicker for you. My experience with Gene is that he is pretty much willing to change any of his designs to suit your desires. And was extremely easy to deal with...

Posted By: jpb Re: Mosaic pins - 08/14/11
Thanks for the info. I will keep'em in mind!

I guess I had been overlooking these two makers because all the customs of both makers that I have seen so far were customized in everything except thicker scales.

John
© 24hourcampfire