Home
Posted By: KBA Brut de Camp - 09/30/11
Something I've been playing with for a while is the creation of a knife utilizing a great deal of forging skills, heat treating skills with decent quality tool steel, and assembly creativity all rolled up into one, and still ending up with a knife built for hard use and minimal care.
So, here we have, the "Brut de Camp".
Forged from large stock W2, given a clay treatment in the heat treating for a spectacular hamon, a Brut de Forge style full tang blade with polished spine, etched hamon and scaled finish on the flats, and topped off with re-cycled tire handle material that has seemingly never-ending grip.
I will finish off this package with a Kydex sheath.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: antlers Re: Brut de Camp - 09/30/11
Damn! What a brute! I really like that forged in guard. Looks like it could withstand just about anything! Nice work.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Brut de Camp - 09/30/11
again, showing great skill, and blending the polished finish with some rough 'forge' touches.

Me like!
Great looking knife Karl. Love that Hamon!
Posted By: Mink Re: Brut de Camp - 10/01/11
To the un-initiated this may seem like inferior work in the quality of finish. However, the nature and quality of forging are apparent for those looking for it. A truly serious blade you have there. Great work. I am a big fan of your clay treatment and the resultant hamon lines.
© 24hourcampfire