Home
Posted By: Oregon45 Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/06/12
After reading the replies in the "favorite factory fixed blade" thread, I'm leaning toward getting a Bark River knife; so, what Bark River do you have, how do you like it, and would you please post a picture? I'm looking at both field/camp knives and knives for field dressing animals.
here is a well used Bravo1. It is the top blade in the pic
[Linked Image]
Here's a couple:

[Linked Image]

Fox River on the left, then a couple arno's, then BR PSK, Mini Canadian and a Gunny.........dj
Bravo 2, Bravo 1 and Gunny:

[Linked Image]

................dj
A few Cocobolo Barkies:

[Linked Image]

Bravo 1 - 154 CM
Gunny Stainless
Canadian Special
Aurora
Liten Bror - 3V
Classic Light Hunter

FWIW I think that the Gunny is probably the best overall size for hunting. The Bravo is an awesome survival/hunting knife. The Aurora is probably the best Bushcraft knife.............dj
Posted By: tripp Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/06/12
I HAVE THE CANADIAN SPEACIAL BUT I CANT POST PICS RIGHT NOW BUT I LOVE IT ITS MY GO TO HUNTING KNIFE PERFECT FOR FIELD DRESSING AND SKINNING
Posted By: jim62 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/06/12
Originally Posted by Oregon45
After reading the replies in the "favorite factory fixed blade" thread, I'm leaning toward getting a Bark River knife; so, what Bark River do you have, how do you like it, and would you please post a picture? I'm looking at both field/camp knives and knives for field dressing animals.

I have owned Barkies now for about 9 years.

For general outdoor use, if you like a drop point blade I would recommend starting out with a Fox River model. They run about $150 to $175 in most handle materials and are probably Bark River's best selling game dressing knife. About a 4.25" blade with great cutting power. The Arched Spine along with the drop point are great for dressing deer. It also works well as a general purpose knife due to it's blade shape and thickness. At least one Survival instruction school remmmends it as a survival knife.

One warning though, most Bark River Knives only come in a convex blade grind. Unless you are OK with Convex style sharpening /stropping don't buy one. It is a waste to buy a full convexed blade and then try to put a "V " secondary bevel on it. Buy a flat or hollow ground knife from some other maker if you want to do that.

It's about like putting a 4 cylinder engine in a Lamborgini. wink
Originally Posted by jim62
[quote=Oregon45]
One warning though, most Bark River Knives only come in a convex blade grind. Unless you are OK with Convex style sharpening /stropping don't buy one. It is a waste to buy a full convexed blade and then try to put a "V " secondary bevel on it. Buy a flat or hollow ground knife from some other maker if you want to do that.

What is the special method or equimpment for sharpening a convex grind? I have BR canadian that may need sharpening some day and all I have is flat stones and a spyderco sharpmaker.
Posted By: Joedjr Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/07/12
Top- Bravo 1
Middle- Woodland Special
Bottom- Ptarmigan

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mighty Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/07/12
I wanted a high quality fixed blade as my hunting knife for upland bird, coyote, deer, and small game. I hunt an average of 30 to 40 days each winter here in Kansas and plan on carrying and using this knife a lot. I choose a Highland Special in Antique Stag Bone.
When I opened up the knife I loved the look of the handle, the over all length, shape, and feel of the knife. Then the disappointments.
1. I felt the blade, didn't feel sharp, so I tried shaving some hair, it wouldn't shave. I tried shaving with both sides of the blade and it would only shave in a small area right at the upsweep of the blade. (Not a huge deal, I was able to get it shaving sharp with a few minutes on my strop, but I was looking forward to the famous factory sharp edge I've heard so much about.)
2. There was a very small burr at the top of the choil where the blade begins. The burr was not prominent enough to see but I could definitly feel it. (Again, not a huge deal I was able to stone it off with little effort.)
3. One of the Stag scales was noticeably thicker than the other. I hope you will be able to tell from the pictures. Is this normal? Would you be satisfied with it?
I called BRKT and they were very nice about the situation and told me they would do whatever it takes to make me happy, even if they have to replace the handle.
I really don't want to be a pain in the ass, overly picky customer. So I would like to know what you BRKT lovers out there would do?
Please don't hate me for posting something negative about BRKT. I'm not trying to run anyone down, just posting about my experience.

Attached picture iphonepics1-5-12 015.jpg
Attached picture iphonepics1-5-12 012.jpg
Posted By: jim62 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/07/12
Originally Posted by Mighty
I wanted a high quality fixed blade as my hunting knife for upland bird, coyote, deer, and small game. I hunt an average of 30 to 40 days each winter here in Kansas and plan on carrying and using this knife a lot. I choose a Highland Special in Antique Stag Bone.
When I opened up the knife I loved the look of the handle, the over all length, shape, and feel of the knife. Then the disappointments.
1. I felt the blade, didn't feel sharp, so I tried shaving some hair, it wouldn't shave. I tried shaving with both sides of the blade and it would only shave in a small area right at the upsweep of the blade. (Not a huge deal, I was able to get it shaving sharp with a few minutes on my strop, but I was looking forward to the famous factory sharp edge I've heard so much about.)
2. There was a very small burr at the top of the choil where the blade begins. The burr was not prominent enough to see but I could definitly feel it. (Again, not a huge deal I was able to stone it off with little effort.)
3. One of the Stag scales was noticeably thicker than the other. I hope you will be able to tell from the pictures. Is this normal? Would you be satisfied with it?
I called BRKT and they were very nice about the situation and told me they would do whatever it takes to make me happy, even if they have to replace the handle.
I really don't want to be a pain in the ass, overly picky customer. So I would like to know what you BRKT lovers out there would do?
Please don't hate me for posting something negative about BRKT. I'm not trying to run anyone down, just posting about my experience.

I partially understand where you are coming from. It's is always disapointing to get something you expect near perfection from only to have QC issues. That being said, Bark Rivers are mostly built by hand. All of the areas that affect final fit and finish are done by human beings and they are fallible.

The only thing Mike Stewart gets upset about is when folks do pretty much exactly what you are doing here. Unless Bark River has the knife in hand to address those issues directly, they really cannot help you. To me, that is common sense and common courtesy.

Send it to them with as complete of a rundown of the problems as you have listed here. They will do whatever is humanly possible to make it right.

Posted By: jim62 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/07/12
Originally Posted by humdinger
[quote=Oregon45]

What is the special method or equimpment for sharpening a convex grind? I have BR canadian that may need sharpening some day and all I have is flat stones and a spyderco sharpmaker.

Here you go-

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/pages.php?pID=4&CDpath=0

Even folks who own Flat ground blades and flat should learn how strop their blades.

No matter WHAT blade grind you have on a knife or what steel it is made from, it is smarter to maintain that edge over time rather than resharpen on stones. The proper uses of hard leather strops with compound allow you to do that.

Unless you chip or roll the edge, you can go a LONG time without resorting to anything more harsh than a stop and black emory compound.

If I were you I would get the $41.00 double sided strop bat/compound kit from Kniveshipfree.com . Then watch those videos several times more to understand what you are doing..

It will be money/time well spent and it will help keep all your knives sharper. But it is pretty much the only way to fly on a Bark River knife.

Posted By: VonGruff Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/08/12
That is a fantastic series of video clips Jim62.Thanks for posting. Now I have to find the green and black compound here in NZ. Is is feasable to turn a flat ground blade into a convex edge just by using the old mouse pad and various grades of w&d from 300 through to 2000.

Von Gruff.
Posted By: cranky72 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/08/12
mighty i think as much as stag costs you should send it back for a better set of more matched scales.--cranky72
Posted By: jim62 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/08/12
Originally Posted by VonGruff
That is a fantastic series of video clips Jim62.Thanks for posting. Now I have to find the green and black compound here in NZ. Is is feasable to turn a flat ground blade into a convex edge just by using the old mouse pad and various grades of w&d from 300 through to 2000.

Von Gruff.

VG, Your should send an email thanking the folks at knivesshipfree.com wink

Several years ago, Derrek and his crew held a contest for the best vids and this series was the winner.

Posted By: antlers Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/08/12
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 54Woody Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/08/12
At the bottom is a Blackjack Classic 125, made by Bark River. Moving clockwise a Fox River, Skinner, Oregon Trail, Pro Scalpel, and two Little Nessies.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: VonGruff Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/09/12
Originally Posted by 54Woody
At the bottom is a Blackjack Classic 125, made by Bark River. Moving clockwise a Fox River, Skinner, Oregon Trail, Pro Scalpel, and two Little Nessies.
[Linked Image]

That Oregon Trail is a doozy, and the Fox river would do as an all round knife for my needs.best overall shape and size.

Von Gruff.
Posted By: jim62 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/09/12
The Fox River is the second best selling Bark River knife behind the Bravo 1. wink

Great factory made hunting knife.
Originally Posted by Mighty

Contact them and follow through. I didn't like the sheath with a BR I bought and asked them about substitute bush craft styles and they worked with me on the phone to find one I liked better. They sent me the new sheath first and had faith I would send the other one back for credit and it all worked well.
I think that you can see that I'm a Bark River fan. I've supported them in the best way possible by buying a bunch of them and will be buying more.

I do however think it's only honest to describe them as accurately as possible. They in general have good but not great workmanship and occasionally they let a few out of the shop that IMHO they shouldn't have. Make no mistake, Mike Stewart is a stand-up honorable guy, I know this first hand. Bark River will generally bend over backwards to make something right as will Knivesshipfree for that matter. But as a prospective buyer buying a knife that can cost a few hundred dollars it's easy to get your expectations leaning towards perfection whether that's realistic or not.

I honestly think that there are a couple other brands of knives in the same price range that are made better than Bark Rivers. I DON'T think that there are any other knifes in the same price range that PERFORM better. If what you are most interested in is a perfectly made art knife Barkie's might not be your favorites. If you want a highest performing in actual use knife Barkies will be up there for you.

Anyway that's my 2cents, I hope it doesn't offend anyone..........DJ
Posted By: jim62 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/10/12
DJ,

That description is accurate and is my experience as well.

There are some who claim a Bark River at $150 to $200 with those fit and finish issues is not as good of a value as some custom maker's hollow and flat ground knives at the same price.

The problem with that is in both knife size and blade grind they are comparing applies to oranges.

Most Bark River knives are bigger blades compared to most of the customs knives you see in the $50 to $200 price range. They are also made from much thicker blade stock and perhaps most importantly, have hand convex blade grinds which many custom makers simply will not or even cannot do.

When one considers that most custom knives of the same exact size ,handle materials and blade grind of the Bark Rivers usually sell for 50 to 100% more, then they look like the solid value they are.

And having said all that- they are getting better all the time. The handle shape issues are going away quickly because they are reshaping more and more handle scales on CNC centers before they hand fit and hafted on the blades.

Bark River made more knives in the last 12 months- over 15,000- than most fulltime custom knife makers will build in two entire lifetimes. And come very close to the overall quality of most customs in the process. Evbrything in life is a tradeoff and Bark River knives are no execption.

One thing I will say- at least Bark Rivers knives are 100% made by them in MIchigan rather than companies like Fallkniven who cannot even figure out how to build a knife without having the Japanese make them.. frown

yea Jim62, I think that anyone who has tried to own thier own business and manage employees can sympathise and appreciate what Mike has done with Bark River. Trying to hire and manage employees to produce hand made items is it's own kind of hell dealing with quality control.

I think that Mike has done an excellent job and backs it with superb customer service if it's ever needed.

I've been buying more Bark River knives than any others, probably the next knife I buy will be one of the 3V Bravo-1's................................dj
Posted By: tomk Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/10/12
This is my favorite Bark River for all around stuff & game. Bravo 1 w/Osage scales. Rampless! If I bought another I order same--but with the full height grind. Right this second anyway...

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Second favorite a Gameskeeper II that I really like for larger game with natural spalted maple scales that is just about too pretty to use. I don't have a pic.

Now I don't need a heavy knife to bust joints as advertised (having learned to disjoint in a cutting room with a 6" flex boning knife) but I love the look and the heft of the thick blades with some nice scales--beauty. Worth every penny.

They hold an edge and keep it. They perform to the level of skill you have...but overall would think the thinner blades would be generally easier to use for most--critter-wise. Can't speak to the bushcraft side of things.

Damn shame about Marbles for this Marbles slut...but Bark River kinda makes up for it...:)

Posted By: Mighty Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/10/12
I like the look/lines of your blade without the full grind.
Why would you choose a full grind on your next one?
Posted By: deputy30 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/10/12
Does Bark River make any handles of out Kraton or other tacky rubber material for better grip when wet? I have been entertaining the idea of a new knife for a while and I have been leaning toward the H1 from Fallkniven. I like their handles made from Thermorun. However, this discussion has got me thinking about Bark River knives, especially the Fox River. What is your opinion about the Fox River as a general all purpose hunting knife?

Thanks

By the way, thanks to Jim62 for the link on how to sharpen convex blades. Before I started reading about knives, I had no idea there were different grinds on knives and I started to get confused. The video on sharpening convex grinds helped greatly.
Just for the look of it. I like it.

And that is about 90% of buying more than 2 knives...but certainly all the impetus I need...:)
I could use it just as well as the ones I have. They are great little knives.

Fox River

Learned as a pup to use longer knives with the pointy end up, however, and although I tried real hard this year to get by with the beauty 4" blade Tim Olt (michiganroadkill) made me, it just wasn't quite the same...:)

Early on we worked in some wet greasy conditions all day using smooth wood handled Russell and Olsens, (i.e. cheap), and got by OK. The injuries you worry about are more to the offhand from the knife-hand or to the torso/upper leg if you really screw up. Just hang on to it--they might as well be pretty-- otherwise just buy a cheap commercial SS with a rubber/plastic handle and try to wear it out on game...:)

Lightly sanded canvas Micarta is pretty grippy when wet. Maybe not to the same degree as thermorun but it works pretty well............dj
Tomk, If you like the Bravo but prefer a little bit thinner blade you might think about a Gunny. Slightly smaller than the Bravo-1 but the same basic profile and thinner blade. Here's one compared to a Fallkniven F-1:

[Linked Image]

lots of nice choices though. :-)
Posted By: Mossy Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/10/12
I received this Woodland Special the other day. I'd read a bunch about the Bark Rivers and wanted to try one. I gotta say I was underwhelmed when I opened the package. The fit and finish is decent,but its not nearly as sharp as I would expect it to be. Somebody wasn't paying attention when they sharpened this one. I do like the knife,its a perfect length and I think it will be a great knife once I get it sharp.

[Linked Image]
And FWIW here's the width's of a Bravo-1, Fox River and Gunny compared:

[Linked Image]

.....................dj
No, DJ I was just recommending the thinner blades for others on game.

I like the 1/4" stuff and my right hand cares less what is in it. Left hand needs a little more manageable knife...:)
Posted By: jim62 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/10/12
Originally Posted by deputy30
Does Bark River make any handles of out Kraton or other tacky rubber material for better grip when wet? ..

By the way, thanks to Jim62 for the link on how to sharpen convex blades. Before I started reading about knives, I had no idea there were different grinds on knives and I started to get confused. The video on sharpening convex grinds helped greatly.

D,

First, as to the traction issue- as DJ said, the Canvas Micarta is nice and grippy when it is rough sanded. Bark River is now offering a Matte option blade and handle finish. The blade grind is still polished, but the balance of the blade and handle are a matte sandblast finish. It looks great and improves the traction of both Micarta and G-10 scales. A Green or Black Canvas Micarta in matte finish would be about ideal for a working knife handle.

As to the Convex blade video link, you are most welcome!
I do encourage you and anyone else here who likes those vids to go to knivesshipfree.com and send them an email to thank them.

Derrick Bon who owns that site is a very staunch supporter of Bark River and a lot of other quality knife brands/makers. His wife Wendy was just diagnosed with a brain tumor a few weeks ago. She was the office manager and his right arm. While she is in treatment the next few months I am sure those folks will appreciate all the support they can get during this time. A kind word via email would be great.

The world needs more knife dealers like knivesshipfree IMHO. They are not perfect, but they do their best. And Bark River Knife and Tool would a less successful company without their support during the last 5 years.
Posted By: deputy30 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/12/12
jim,

Can you explain the difference between the canvas micarta matte and the G10 matte? My problem is I have a hard enough time deciding what knife to buy when spending this kind of money. Throw in the fact that I am trying to decide by looking at pictures only just makes it harder.

Thanks
Posted By: jim62 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/12/12
jim,

Can you explain the difference between the canvas micarta matte and the G10 matte? My problem is I have a hard enough time deciding what knife to buy when spending this kind of money. Throw in the fact that I am trying to decide by looking at pictures only just makes it harder.

Thanks

It's really all about the fabric weave.

Most G-10s are rather finely woven fiberglass cloth layers. About the same size weaver as linen based Micarta. The Canvas Micarta on the other hand has a more open weave which is a bit nubby even when polished and waxed. With a rough sanded or blasted finished Canvas Micarta is the "grippiest" of the synthetic materials and is very popular for Combat/hard use knives..

I think you will be very pleased with a matte finished Micarta handle. About the only downside to the Canvas Micarta is the color ranges are rather limited. Bark River only usually stocks 3 to 4 colors of Canavas Micarta.
Posted By: deputy30 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/13/12
The more I look at the Bark Rivers, the more I like them. The two cons of the Fallkniven H1 (the lack of a finger guard and the thickness of the blade, which is .2 in and some people say is too thick) can be addressed by some of the Bark River models. The pros of the H1 (price, it is cheaper the BR, and the material of the handle) aren't as critical when compared to the canvas micarta material. Which leads me to my first question. What does the matte finish do to the knife? Does it give the whole knife a dull finish or does it apply to only the handle? If it applies to only the handle, what is its purpose? Also, is the matte finish a fairly new option as I am having a hard time finding any with it?
Second question is an opinion question. BR makes so many models it is tough to pick one. I will be using my new knife for skinning and cutting up mostly deer. I have narrowed down the field to the Lite Hunter and the Highland Special. Would one of those knives serve me well or would you have another recomendation?

Thanks
Second question is an opinion question. BR makes so many models it is tough to pick one. I will be using my new knife for skinning and cutting up mostly deer. I have narrowed down the field to the Lite Hunter and the Highland Special. Would one of those knives serve me well or would you have another recomendation?

Thanks

It would of course be best if you could handle both and see which feels best in your hand before purchasing if not? Either would work just find for deer. The Highland Special is a bit more popular than the Lite Hunter so it might be fair to say that more people have prefered it. The Lite hunter is a thinner more narrow knife which might be your preference.

My first choice for a deer knife would be a Gunny. The way the handles are contoured fit my hand particularly well and I like the blade contour...............dj
Posted By: deputy30 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/13/12
I agree that handling the knives would be the best but as of yet I cannot find a dealer to get my hands on them.

Thanks
Originally Posted by djpaintless

Thanks

It would of course be best if you could handle both and see which feels best in your hand before purchasing if not? Either would work just find for deer. The Highland Special is a bit more popular than the Lite Hunter so it might be fair to say that more people have prefered it. The Lite hunter is a thinner more narrow knife which might be your preference.

My first choice for a deer knife would be a Gunny. The way the handles are contoured fit my hand particularly well and I like the blade contour...............dj

I didn't care for the highland special and sent it back. I recomend the gunny too and that is the next BR I would buy for deer tasks.

Posted By: jim62 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/13/12
I agree that handling the knives would be the best but as of yet I cannot find a dealer to get my hands on them.

Thanks

Deputy,

In case you cannot find a dealer close by here are some general descritpions of the Bark Rivers you are looking at.

Fist of all- none of them are big knives. Look over the size specs carefully. Most folks are sort of shocked at how small many of the Bark River knives actually are. About the only large dimension on them is the blde thickness-usually over 3/16" to .25" at the spine.

The Game series like the Highlands, Fox Rivers etc have a flat sided handle that is tapered from front to rear. The corners are rounded but it is not a hand fitting style handle like the Bravo and gunny knives which have palm swells and end flares on the side.

For a better viaual of the knives, I HGHLY recoomend you check out "Virtuovice"'s reviews on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3UVYskvb9g&feature=related

He is a Japanese Surgeon/MD who is actually a part time proffesional Sika deer hunter on the North Island of Japan near Sapporo. He always has about 50 fixed blades in his collection and ha propably hunted with and reviewd over 100 knives in the last 3 years.

He dresses out about 60 head of Sitka deer each season and really anylises and compares the knives in use. He susually does his Feild tests at the beginning of each video and the last part is a "table top" review where he shows in detail the knife from all angles.

He reviews are useful from the hunter's standpoint since they are brutally honest yet respectful of the maker's work. He does not sell advertising or knives. He has no business ties to any knife companies. He's just a very experienced hunter who loves good knives.

It's a GREAT way for anyone in the US to get a good look at a Bark River and other knives before buying one. He is a real fan of Bark River and BlackJack products BUT he also tells it like it is. The new Bravo 1 sheath he got was not to great and he made an entire vidieo SHOWING the problems.

He is one of the real assests to the knife communnity on You Tube. Reid Heikken at Sharpshooter Systems can't stand him because every time Reid makes a crappy sheath design(and it DOES happen sometimes) that little Japanese doctor is on it like "white on rice"..LOl But over all, he has a lot of respect or what the folks at BRK&T produce.

Spend some time looking through his video libraray and you should find all the Bark Rivers you are looking at buying. ;)I have owned most those knives and I still find his reviews very enlightening.

One other thing- he recently killed a MONSTER Sitka stag that he stalked in the mountains on Snowshoes. In 7 years it is his biggest stag and for Sitka- it is a monster-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0Tb-LeZIFk&feature=related

Posted By: rob p Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/14/12
I've been planning to go to the factory in Escanaba. I've talked to the owner on the phone and found out some pretty cool stuff. 3 times a year, they close their factory and invite the public to come in and learn how to make knives. His workers pair up and take everyone from concept to finished knife. I told him I was having some trouble heat treating A-2. Sharpening my blades, I was getting a ribbon paying out from the edge rather than breaking off and forming a burr. He gave me some pointers and invited me out to the factory. The next "grind in" is at the end of February and it's followed by another in July. That might be the one for me. I was thoroughly impressed that they do that.

A cool thing to note. They buy their A-2 already heat treated and tempered. Then they grind it. I wondered if it could take the temper out of the blade. He said you make one pass, one dip in the bucket, and one pass... On and on. He said start to finish, not counting glue drying, they make a finished knife in 20 minutes. They've definitely got it down.
Jim62,

Those videos are pretty interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0Tb-LeZIFk&feature=related

Talk about a thorough review, I don't remember too many knife reviews that include an X-Ray! :-)

Pretty long but easy enough to skip around a bit.

Thanks for the link..................dj
Posted By: jim62 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/14/12
Originally Posted by rob p
I've been planning to go to the factory in Escanaba. I've talked to the owner on the phone and found out some pretty cool stuff. 3 times a year, they close their factory and invite the public to come in and learn how to make knives. His workers pair up and take everyone from concept to finished knife. I told him I was having some trouble heat treating A-2. Sharpening my blades, I was getting a ribbon paying out from the edge rather than breaking off and forming a burr. He gave me some pointers and invited me out to the factory. The next "grind in" is at the end of February and it's followed by another in July. That might be the one for me. I was thoroughly impressed that they do that.

A cool thing to note. They buy their A-2 already heat treated and tempered. Then they grind it. I wondered if it could take the temper out of the blade. He said you make one pass, one dip in the bucket, and one pass... On and on. He said start to finish, not counting glue drying, they make a finished knife in 20 minutes. They've definitely got it down.

Bark River does none of their heat treating in house.They never have. As a matter of fact,they do very little of the cutting of the blades either.

The blades are cut by Lazer or Water Jet by an outside contractor. Sometimes the rough grind angle is cut as well. Then they are heat teated, surface ground, and THEN they show up at Bark River.

They generally like to install and haft the handles next.The very last thing they do is grind the final blade bevel, polish and sharpen the knife.

Grinding after heat treat is called "Grinding Hard". Not too many large production factories do it because of tool wear. Really if you are skilled enough to do it, you are running a coarse belt at 7,000 BFPM+ . Heat buildup is the least of your worries. If you just dip it as it warms up, you are fine.

Belt wear is the big issue especially on some of the tougher steels like CMP-3V etc. When it's hard, that stuff eats belts..

The other thing is safety. I believe Mike has his slack belt grinders set up to grind AWAY from the user. That's because even without final sharpening, once you have the Convex blade grind fully formed(even on a 36 grit belt), you then have a sharp blade that can easily kill or maim if it goes flying off the belt. Not for novices.

The reason why you may be having trouble with A2 is it is an air hardening steel that requires pretty precise temp controls to get the tempering right. It's not as forgiving as 0-1 or even 1095. Which is the reason Mike Stewart leaves Bark River's heat treat to shops that do industrial grade heat treat.. wink
That is very interesting. On knife forums you hear about Mike's special heat treat etc. and know I know he does none do it! :-)
Posted By: rob p Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/14/12
I bought my A2 from the same guy that sells him his. That's how I got in touch with him in the first place. I told him I was heating the steel to 1850 degrees and tempering at 400. He said I might as well just sit it on the dash of my truck. I had to go to 1900 and 500 degrees. This I did. No problem. He also told me they have taught small children, like 8 years old, to make perfectly functional knives. Humbling! He told me I should pack my blades in dry ice as well. After the first tempering. Like the vikings burying their blades in the permafrost for a year to harden them. I never did any cryo. I got a lot of information.
Posted By: jim62 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/14/12
That is very interesting. On knife forums you hear about Mike's special heat treat etc. and know I know he does none do it! :-)

Well,in his defense, just because he does not do it in house, does not prevent him from dictating the way he wants it done wink

Also, if you actually read his posts he freely admits that he leaves the heat treatment up to skill professionals.

It's the fanboys on that site (the ones that call him that call "Maestro" etc) who get a little carried away telling their stories in the knife forums "treehouse" LOL.

Really, Mike is pretty forthcoming about how he builds his knives. Everything I posted came straight from conversations I have had with him over the last 7 or 8 years.

One new wrinkle they have added is pre- CNC milling handle slabs on some complex contoured handle fixed blades like the Bravos etc as well as the screw on slabs like the neck knives.

Posted By: deputy30 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/14/12
jim,

Thanks for the link to the reviews. It looks like I have some more studying to do. The more I read and learn about knives and knife making, the more I realize I don't know.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/15/12
I do like the Canadian special and own mini
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/16/12
jim62;
Thank you for the link to virtuovice's latest video, that is a fair stag indeed.

I stumbled across his youtube knife reviews some time ago and like you appreciated his candor.

As well I always enjoy seeing how our fellow hunters around the world like to hunt and his videos are quite interesting for me.

Thanks again and all the best to you in 2012.

Regards,
Dwayne
Posted By: jim62 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/16/12
BC30cal..

Guys like "Virtouvice" represent the best part of Youtube.

He is an intelligent, hard working guy half way across the world in Japan who likes the same things we do and is a very dedicated hunter..

He appreciates American made knives very much, and makes an effort to speak English on all his vids even though it is pretty much the only time his speaks the language. It's hard not to like the guy.

He comes across as a decent nice person you'd want to go hunting with sometime..
BC30cal..

He is an intelligent, hard working guy half way across the world in Japan who likes the same things we do and is a very dedicated hunter..

He appreciates American made knives very much, and makes an effort to speak English on all his vids even though it is pretty much the only time his speaks the language. It's hard not to like the guy.

He comes across as a decent nice person you'd want to go hunting with sometime..

I know don't you wish you could have him over for a deer hunt and let him choose from one of your real rifles that American's are allowed to own! ..................... DJ
Posted By: jim62 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/16/12
BC30cal..

I know don't you wish you could have him over for a deer hunt and let him choose from one of your real rifles that American's are allowed to own! ..................... DJ

Well DJ.. After 10 years of proving they responsible with shot guns ,Japanese hunter can apply for a rifle permit. Wakku says he's going to get a .308 in another twp years.

You should search thorough his vids. Some VERY interesting shooting going on in them. He has made some spectacular kills with his .410 and his mentor hunting partner is a crack shot with his 12 Winchester 1300 pump slug gun.

Some down moments though are when he is hunting with some rifle owners from southern Japan. They took a lot of long shots and missed damn near everyone of them.

Also Wakku himself has lost a few deer. I have noticed he does not allow for wind drift when taking long shots with those slow .410 loads he uses .Almost always when he muffs a long range shot, the bullet has hit too far back and always on the downwind side. It will be interesting to see how he progresses as a marksman on he owns a rifle.

Posted By: Mink Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/16/12
Less talk more pics grin
Originally Posted by Mink
Less talk more pics grin

And your pics are???

:-) .................dj
Bravo-1 CPM-154V Cocobolo

[Linked Image]

...........................dj
Posted By: Mink Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/16/12
Originally Posted by Mink
Less talk more pics grin

And your pics are???

:-) .................dj

blush Sorry no Bark Rivers in my possession yet, so I live vicariously through the rest of you. grin
Bravo-2

[Linked Image]

.....................dj
Bravo Necker:

[Linked Image]

Vicarious enough? :-)

Hope you like the pics.........................dj
Posted By: cranky72 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/17/12
fantastic videos by the japanese hunter, actually i thought his english was real good. he's made a wiser choice to go with 3v alloy instead of s35 0r even s30. english catra tests last year rated the 3v about 30% more edge indurance than s30 .the 3v has a charpy index 3 times greater than a2 making it one of the most chip resistance alloys out there. some users have said that 3v seems to rust but my ferhman & lil canadian both in 3v have little patina after 2 years.cranky72
Posted By: Mink Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/17/12
Outstanding!!! cool
Posted By: deputy30 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/17/12
dj,

I thought I pretty much decided what handle material I wanted, but that handle on your Bravo-2 looks awesome. What is it made of?

Thanks
Posted By: cranky72 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/17/12

[Linked Image]
standard canadian compared to lil' canadian.--cranky72
dj,

I thought I pretty much decided what handle material I wanted, but that handle on your Bravo-2 looks awesome. What is it made of?

Thanks

My Bravo-2 has black canvas micarta scales that I lightly sanded...........dj
Bark River Manitou:

[Linked Image]

......................dj
Early Bark River:

[Linked Image]

................DJ
Posted By: Youper Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/18/12
Bark River Manitou:

[Linked Image]

......................dj

That's the one that trips my trigger the best.
Posted By: Mighty Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/19/12
Is the handle on the lil C shorter and thinner? It looks to be smaller but I can't tell from the picture how much smaller. Which handle feels better in the hand? Which one do you like using better?
I have a Highland Special, which is pretty close in size to the Lil Canadian but I think I would like the smaller handle better than that of the Can. special...
Posted By: cranky72 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/19/12
mighty the lil is 4 by 11/16. the reg cana is 4.5 by 3/4. both handles fit med. to fairly large hands. for our tex. deer which run about 115 lbs the lil cana is much handier. for elk , deer over 200 & hogs i opt for the regular canadian.cutting up veges for camp the reg. canadian is better.--cranky72
Posted By: deputy30 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/20/12
Any of you knife guys out there ever been to the Eastern Sport and Outdoor show in Harrisburg? If so, have you seen Bark River knives on display there? I could probably sneak there one day if you thought I might see some BR knives.

Thanks
Posted By: jim62 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/20/12
Any of you knife guys out there ever been to the Eastern Sport and Outdoor show in Harrisburg? If so, have you seen Bark River knives on display there? I could probably sneak there one day if you thought I might see some BR knives.

Thanks

Deputy.

Call Bark River. Ask them if the Have any stocking dealers in that area and then call those dealers. Chestnut Ridge knife Shop in the Pittsburg area carries them for sure.

Another option is simply dealing with a dealer that will let you return a knife if it does not fit well(and you return it unused). Really when you think of it is is no different than buying clothing or a pair of boots. Actually when you figure your time and gas, the return postage might actually be much cheaper.
Posted By: deputy30 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/20/12
You are right jim. But I had a bad experience once trying to return an unused pair of boots and I said no more big purchases through the mail. And for me this falls in that category.

Since I'm talking to you jim I have a question. I really like the natural canvas micarta color, but the only matte finish I can find is the black canvas. How does the matte finish affect the overall look and does it give the knife a tougher or more durable finish.

Thanks
Posted By: jim62 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/20/12
You are right jim. But I had a bad experience once trying to return an unused pair of boots and I said no more big purchases through the mail. And for me this falls in that category.

Since I'm talking to you jim I have a question. I really like the natural canvas micarta color, but the only matte finish I can find is the black canvas. How does the matte finish affect the overall look and does it give the knife a tougher or more durable finish.

Thanks

Well first of all, regarding returns every Bark River stocking dealer is a family run operation. If you call them up and say you have it narrowed down to two knife models, and if you could order both and handle then and return the one you don't want- they will give you a straight answer and stick to what they promise you. I think as long as you actually keep one of them they will be fine with it.. wink

As to the matte finish. If you want it done, send it to Bark River later and have then done it for you.

Micarta is not "finished" really. The finish is IN the material as it's full resin impregnated. About the only time Micarta could be considered to have a finish is when it's high polished and waxed . It is done to produce a high gloss more than for the weather resistance.

All matte finishing does is the same thing it does to steel on a rifle- just dulls the finish. On Micarta sand or bead blasting abrades some of the Resin out in between the weave of the fabric surface which creates a bit more of a "nubby" texture. Be aware it is NOT as grippy as stippling or checkering on grips etc. But it's got more grab than high polished Micarta.

A Matte finish dulls the colors a bit but if you rub a rag soaked with WD -40 (or better yet, Armoral) on the handle it will deepen the colors, mainly because it scrubs the dust out of the surface.

FWIW I can highly recommend Chesnut Ridge Knife Shop in Latrobe,3862 RT 30 WEST. They are good people. When I was working nearby I bought a few knives from them and had them make me several of their custom sheaths including this one for my Bark River Canadian:

[Linked Image]

(Why I needed another sheath for that knife is a story I probably shouldn't tell.)

Anyway if you are in that area you should drop by, Tell them Dave from Oklahoma said hi :-) .....................dj
Posted By: deputy30 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/21/12
While Chestnut Ridge and myself are in the same state, we are at the opposite ends of PA, with a 4 hour drive between us. Besides, this will be a good excuse to go to the Sportsman Show in Harrisburg.
Posted By: jim62 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/21/12
While Chestnut Ridge and myself are in the same state, we are at the opposite ends of PA, with a 4 hour drive between us. Besides, this will be a good excuse to go to the Sportsman Show in Harrisburg.

Yep.

And if you go here-

http://www.chestnutridgeknifeshop.c...;osCsid=b8f2335d16458d60e67abb6d37ff4abf

I bet they have the models you are looking for. You could pay the postage to return 2 or 3 Bark rivers back to them for less than the gas/ vehicle expense to any shop within an hour's drive of you.. I think that is the point we were trying to make.

It is very possible there would be some dealer at the show with Bark River knives but since it is a general Sportsman's trade show and not a knife specific show I kind of doubt it..
Posted By: deputy30 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/21/12
In looking through their on-line list of knives, I don't see the model I am interested in, which is the rampless gunny. However, your point of returning knives through the mail after deciding which one I would want is well taken.

Thanks
In looking through their on-line list of knives, I don't see the model I am interested in, which is the rampless gunny. However, your point of returning knives through the mail after deciding which one I would want is well taken.

Thanks

You might check with them here:

http://www.crystalfallstradingcompa...;osCsid=14e5e11a826d6a54d9471c5806b2a0ce

I've bought a few things from them with zero problems. Haven't met them in person though :-) ......................dj
Posted By: tomk Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/22/12
GamesKeeper II spalted maple --am partial to this model and to rotted wood...:)

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

DLT Trading--Jason
STS 3 and STS 5:

[Linked Image]

....................dj
Posted By: deputy30 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/29/12
Other than the links already provided, any other ideas where I can buy the rampless gunny in the matte finish? I don't even care anymore if it is black, green or natutal canvas micarta.

Thanks
Posted By: j2dogs Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 01/29/12
Buy a ramped gunny and for around $15 dollars (To cover insurance and return shipping) Bark River will make it look like it was never there.:)
I even ask them if I bought my bravo-1 new with a ramp could I have it shipped directly to them from the store for de-ramping, and they said that would be fine. Just provide them with a letter concerning all the details.
Posted By: deputy30 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 03/26/12
I finally have a picture to add to this thread. After much advice from the knife experts here, I got my Bark River. It is a rampless gunny with black micarta matte handles. Quite simply, I love the knife. I love the way the handle is shaped as it fits my hand perfectly.
Once again, thanks to all the generous people who took the time to answer my numerous questions about knives.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jim62 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 03/26/12
I finally have a picture to add to this thread. After much advice from the knife experts here, I got my Bark River. It is a rampless gunny with black micarta matte handles. Quite simply, I love the knife. I love the way the handle is shaped as it fits my hand perfectly.
Once again, thanks to all the generous people who took the time to answer my numerous questions about knives.

[Linked Image]

A rampless Gunny is a great all around knife. Good choice and I am really glad you like it.

[Linked Image]

Gotta love a Success story! I'm really glad you love the knife...........................dj
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 03/28/12
I like that a LOT more than a standard gunny... very nice
Posted By: miguel Re: Let's see the Bark Rivers - 03/31/12
[Linked Image]
This is a pic of my Fox River with desert ironwood scales, it's for sale in the classifieds.
Originally Posted by miguel
[Linked Image]
This is a pic of my Fox River with desert ironwood scales, it's for sale in the classifieds.

No it's not, I just sent you a PM and said I'd buy it.
Originally Posted by Jocko_Slugshot
Originally Posted by miguel
[Linked Image]

No it's not, I just sent you a PM and said I'd buy it.

I just received the subject knife from Miguel and it's exactly as-advertised, a great looking knife.
© 24hourcampfire