Home
Posted By: tcb22 Knife sharpener - 11/11/12
I currently have a Lansky knife sharpener and it works good but I would like to upgrade. Would like something non-electric with good/secure angle adjustment and lots of stone options. Any ideas?
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: Knife sharpener - 11/11/12
I am currently in the market for a knife sharpening system, also. Just wanting something simple & easy, but I want it to get the job done. I have zero experience with it, but the Gatco sharpeners might be what you're looking for.

I'm considering a Smith 8" Diamond Tri-Hone that includes a medium grit Arkansas stone & then I might get me a nice leather strop for putting the finishing touches on my blades. Not sure though, if this is the route I'll take. I'm going to continue to do the research.

Good luck & let us know what you end up deciding. smile
Posted By: tcb22 Re: Knife sharpener - 11/11/12
I have a friend with a Gatco its basically a chocolate covered Lansky.
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: Knife sharpener - 11/11/12
If you want to spend more ... the Wicked Edge Precision sharpening system might be your answer. It will cost you, though! grin
Posted By: tcb22 Re: Knife sharpener - 11/12/12
That wicket edge looks nice is there anything else
similar to it?
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: Knife sharpener - 11/12/12
I think there is one called the Edge Pro ... or something like that.

I have been doing lots of research on the Internet for sharpening systems, as of lately. If I were to decide to invest the money, I really feel that the Wicked Edge system would be hard to beat! It looks to be very well thought out & they have already introduced a 2nd generation that takes care of any small problems that was encountered with the original version. I guess it just depends on how much you're willing to spend on a sharpening system! Rather than buying several cheap gimmicks, maybe the ol' saying "buy once~cry once" comes into play.
Posted By: woodson Re: Knife sharpener - 11/12/12
Spyderco sharpmaker?
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Knife sharpener - 11/12/12
Get an edge pro apex, the rest are crude compared to it.

Go check out the YouTube videos on it
Posted By: gotthecustombug Re: Knife sharpener - 11/12/12
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Get an edge pro apex, the rest are crude compared to it.

Go check out the YouTube videos on it

I agree with this...I own an Edge Pro Professional, but the Apex would be perfect for home use, or when traveling or whatever, much easier to get around than the professional, same level of adjustment. You can buy a miriad of stones for it as well, even Japanese stones, although, I don't see the need for them, at least yet.

Larry
Posted By: Boise Re: Knife sharpener - 11/12/12
I am happy with my Edge Pro.
So would you say the edge pro is better than the Wicked edge?
Originally Posted by tcb22

... and this is exactly what I'm wondering.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Knife sharpener - 11/12/12
I'm happy with the Spyderco Sharpmaker.
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Knife sharpener - 11/12/12

Yes
Journeyman, in your opinion why is it better? I'm thinkin if I want something good and nice I'll only buy once.
Posted By: varmintsinc Re: Knife sharpener - 11/12/12
I prefer the edge pro to anything else I have ever tried with the exception of a blade design that needs a round rod for proper sharpening. The only weak point to the edge pro (actually any stone based system) is to keep an eye on the stones to make sure they do not develop a belly or wear excessively. It is very prominent with 120 and 220 stones, much less of a problem with the 320 and not a problem at all with the 600 stones.

Essentially with the EP the entire premise of simplicity and precision is based on having level stones. If the stone has a concave edge the center of the stone might be cutting a 20 deg angle while the end portions might be cutting a slightly different angle, reducing the consistency you are shooting for. For me this is only an issue on the primary edge and when I set a secondary edge with a smoother stone the problem disappears completely. I am getting away from using the rough stones and am now using emery paper on the blank plate that is usually reserved for the polishing tapes. Im sitting in an airport but will try to take some photos tomorrow and get them posted. A picture is truly worth 1000 of my convoluted words when running on no sleep.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Knife sharpener - 11/12/12

Hell yes
Posted By: MOGC Re: Knife sharpener - 11/12/12
I use the Edge Pro Apex III system for general sharpening and a Spyderco Sharpmaker for quick touch ups.
The Wicked Edge system looks to me like it would be less chance of operator error when getting the right angle/edge on a knife. The knife is clamped down and can't move whatsoever. This allows the person to focus on one thing, which is dragging the stones across the blade. Also, the Wicked Edge looks like you could use small circular motions much easier which some claim is the best way to put a sharp edge on a blade.

The Edge Pro looks like you might have to spend a little time getting use to moving the blade back & forth in order to sharpen it along it's entire length. Also, keep in mind that you must concentrate on holding the blade perfectly flat across the top of the machine; all while trying to slide the abrasives across your blades. Seems a tad bit more complicated to operate.

Also, it is my opinion that there is no chance of scratching or scuffing your blades in the Wicked Edge system. If you go to the Edge Pro site & watch the video demonstrations they tell you to tape your blades. So there is no doubt that scratching your blades with the Edge Pro is a concern.

I say all this with 0% experience with either system! grin All I can say is that from what I've researched of the two systems, a person couldn't go wrong with either of them. If I was to do it, I'd probably go with the Wicked Edge.

Good day.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Knife sharpener - 11/12/12
I started watching the videos lastnight after reading this post. I agree with everything said above. I'm sure the edge pro is awsome but kinda reminds me of rub ur belly and pat ur head thing. Just take practise I'm sure?

The video of the wicked edge showed a fella just working each side seperate. Again with practise I'm sure you could learn to run both sides at the same time?

Will add I've not been able to try either of the above units. I use sticks and a gatco deal. Thoug the gatco would be the end all be all. I do make it all work and get a nice edge. That said I am always curious about a better way to do something..?
Well I have been watching videos and reading, I'm thinking the wicked edge is what I want. Now I just need to save up the coin.
tcb22~

I don't think you'll regret your decision on the Wicked Edge. If you end up with one, please report back on how you like it. It is not a cheap system & you could probably offset some of the cost by sharpening blades for other people. If you desire.

I think we're in the same boat! Time to start saving. grin
Well I have been watching videos and reading, I'm thinking the wicked edge is what I want. Now I just need to save up the coin.

Yep that's where I am with it too.
Posted By: michiganroadkill Re: Knife sharpener - 11/12/12
I sharpened blades by free hand on bench stones for 50 years. I was pretty good at it, but needed to get a better edge for the knives I was selling.
Thanks to Boise loaning me his Edge Pro, I bought one. I will never need any other system.
The issue of holding the blade in place is not an issue with me. You are holding it against a flat surface and a backer, not totally free hand. You do have to use tape for the coarse grits, but is not that big and issue with fine grits (and tune ups).

You can do a circular motion if you want, but I see not good or need in it.

The Edge Pro stones are bigger than Lanskys (and others too) so you get more stroke per stroke.
Not having to mess with a holding fixture certainly saves time. Also some fixtures limit the blade length you can do, or do a good job on.
You can get extra stones in the coarser grits and it is not an issue to mount them on the backer.I use the worn coarse stones to rough off most of the cutting bevel on a brand new unsharpened blade, then use the new one to get final shape.
Some geometry is and issue for me. A hollow ground blade and concave curved edges are a little tougher than a blade ground as it should be (flat and straight).
I have no experience with the Wicked Edge. I do believe that any system will improve your edges over total free hand.

Soft stones and circular motion has no place with a serious blade with higher Rc.
Just my 2 cents.
Tim
Thanks Tim.

The thing I don't like about the gatco is its difficult to get a good hold on a narrower type blade. Example pocket knives and some narrow/slim type fixed blades. The clamp doesn't hold the blad too great and I've noticed with a few blades you can't go below a 19 on each side. If you tried to do say a 15(30 deg total) you actually hit the clamp as well as the blade.

For the time being I have to "profile" at a 19 with the more course stuff. Then after I get a pretty good edge with the clamp rig I switch to my sticks. They do a 20. This is working for me. Working well actually but always have a open mind about a better mouse trap.

Seems the edge pro and or wicked edge would cut down on sharpening time. I don't really mind sharpening my stuff...mainly because I pretty much keep my stuff sharp. About all I normally have to do is touch my blades up. Lots of my friends notice how sharp my blades are and ask me to sharpen them. Hate to tell them no since we all try to help each other out. So a edge pro or such could be a big help.
Kaleb, the Edge Pro uses a blade stop and I've found the need to be creative when sharpening narrow blade since the stone does hit the clamp when attempting shallow cut angles. I'm talking small pocket knife narrow. Taping on a narrower stop was a my simple fix.

We moved into a new place and I have the room to leave my Edge Pro set up, now that's the ticket. Everytime my hunting blade sees a critter it is simple to hit a couple of strokes with the Edge Pro. Of late I've been leaving on the 220 stone and it has been delivering some impressive edges. I run 20 degrees and bump it up a tad for the final strokes.

Posted By: michiganroadkill Re: Knife sharpener - 11/12/12
Rick still doesn't realize that small pocket knives are for cleaning finger nails and stripping wire. A couple swipes on any stone is adequate for that.
Just kiddin around. Thanks for putting me on to the Edge Pro.
I have been doing 24 degrees and going to 600 grit and then a leather strop. I am afraid to use the 1000 grit.
Tim
Never figured you for a fraidy! cat, I have gone to 9 micron sheet placing a mirror finish on the edge but was just showing off. Can't say the edge was noticeably better and it sure took more time.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Knife sharpener - 11/13/12
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
Rick still doesn't realize that small pocket knives are for cleaning finger nails and stripping wire. A couple swipes on any stone is adequate for that.

That's true....

For some reason I try to keep a pocket knife razor sharp. Not really nessicary but I find myself sharpening my knife when we are just standing around the kitchen or talking in the living room. We've always got a knife or 5 laying on the island in the kitchen and I just mess with them.....sometimes just to unwind before bed or while waiting on supper......?
Posted By: Boise Re: Knife sharpener - 11/13/12
Tim

I carry my pocket knives daily, so why is it you believe they should have an inferior edge? And just to add further fuel to the fire, I used my Brend2 pocket knife to skin out a bear and it worked great. wink

I really like the handle on my Menefee knives, the Heron-isk design may be my all time favorite. The set Tim Olt built me with the elk antler I supplied are nice and fat and work super while wearing gloves, heck they also work great without gloves.
Posted By: Monashee Re: Knife sharpener - 11/13/12
I'm sure there are other good systems out there,but I won't be trading in my Edge Pro anytime soon! Monashee
Posted By: varmintsinc Re: Knife sharpener - 11/13/12
Just kiddin around. Thanks for putting me on to the Edge Pro.
I have been doing 24 degrees and going to 600 grit and then a leather strop. I am afraid to use the 1000 grit.
Tim

Tim you have to try the 2000grit tapes. Shaving is one thing but fileting a piece of newspaper in half will sure get a potential customers attention.

I just finished a S30V blade with ugliest possible handle in orange and black micarta and took the rough profile to 18 then finished at 21 with the tape. The first deer was rather messy, kept nicking stuff with the tip and it was cutting on contact with almost no pressure. smile By the second deer it was about perfect and after the third it will still take hair off of your arm.
Posted By: michiganroadkill Re: Knife sharpener - 11/13/12
Actually I do keep my pocket knives pretty sharp hand held with bench stones. I just prefer a fixed blade when doing most knife work.
I did damned near complete a pig with my 1 7/8" blade on a small Schrade 3 bladed pocket knife. I usually keep that blade and the middle sized one sharp. The smallest blade is for uses I mentioned above.
I have been able to filet newspaper after 1000 grit and a leather strop.
I also have improved my grinding since starting to use a fixtured system for sharpening. I find the smallest variations with fixtured sharpening.

Rick, I was just kiddin and fishin for that Brend2 story again. Mine is still nib.

Tim
Posted By: magnumb Re: Knife sharpener - 11/14/12
I purchased the Wicked Edge system a year or so ago and it's fantastic. I also purchased the 800/1000gr. diamond stones as well.........they really finish off the edges.

I also just ordered their 'upgrade' kit yesterday which gives a bit more options on edge angles and added smoothness by virtue of their newly designed rods which hold the diamond stone sharpeners.

A bit pricey, but you'll never want nor need for more.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Knife sharpener - 11/14/12
I had Lansky's for years, then upgraded to the Edge Pro, and have not looked back. I need to buy the big glass plate for grinding/leveling stones, but so far I am very pleased with the control over angles, and the results. The last knife I sharpened was a Microtech Socom with S35VN blade, and it put a scary sharp edge on it with no trouble. I may look for something a little different for Kitchen knives, but it will be for quick touch-ups only. The Edge Pro is what I like best, when I want one wicked sharp.
Posted By: gotthecustombug Re: Knife sharpener - 11/14/12
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I had Lansky's for years, then upgraded to the Edge Pro, and have not looked back. I need to buy the big glass plate for grinding/leveling stones, but so far I am very pleased with the control over angles, and the results. The last knife I sharpened was a Microtech Socom with S35VN blade, and it put a scary sharp edge on it with no trouble. I may look for something a little different for Kitchen knives, but it will be for quick touch-ups only. The Edge Pro is what I like best, when I want one wicked sharp.

The glass plate from them is 50 bucks, plus shipping. It has a cool ruber ring around it to keep it from slipping on the counter.

I think it is over priced, Ben Dale told me he thought it was overpriced too, but still let me order it smile I ordered it, because I take my Edge Pro with me, everywhere.

That said, if you are not sharpening all over the place, you can go get a piece of .25" glass anywhere, and us it to flatten your stones. Heck, you may already have one around somewhere! You could also probably split a piece of fuel line, and glue it around th edge, just like they do.

I also think a peice of granite would do the trick, just the same. Find a local flooring guy, he probably has a piece he may give you for just a few bucks, or less.

Larry
Posted By: tcb22 Re: Knife sharpener - 11/15/12
You know if you guys by some of this stuff I can get my wicked edge sharpener, just sayin.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...73089/Buy_my_cool_stuff_sale#Post7073089
Posted By: magnumb Re: Knife sharpener - 11/15/12
You know if you guys by some of this stuff I can get my wicked edge sharpener, just sayin.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...73089/Buy_my_cool_stuff_sale#Post7073089

.....and what you're asking for your entire set-up should just about get you the total package that I mentioned owning in my above post (including the optional 800/1000 grit diamondstones).

Good luck on your sale (I already own 3 Bushmasters) as it looks like you're offering a very good price. Also, I hope you are able to get your Wicked Edge system ASAP.

Good luck!

© 24hourcampfire