Home
Posted By: mtnman1 Latest Hunter for a customer - 12/10/12
Had a customer with some Axis horm and he asked if I could make a couple of blades for him out of them. One for him and one for his son. Here's the one I'm finishing up for his son for Christmas. Horn was really gnarly for an Axis so came out looking better than I expected. had a couple of bad waves, but I think the end result is pretty decent.Let me know what ya think.

Dale

OAL 9 1/4"
Blade 4 1/2"
CPM 154 SS
Axis Horn scales
Leather Sheath

[Linked Image]
Dale I'm sure that boy will crap his pants.
Posted By: Clay Re: Latest Hunter for a customer - 12/10/12
Very nice work.
Posted By: RDW Re: Latest Hunter for a customer - 12/11/12
Nice!
I like that one!
Posted By: 22WRF Re: Latest Hunter for a customer - 12/11/12
I like the knife very much, but with all due respect, you need to sharpen up a bit on your photography skills.
very nice...that axis horn is a pretty good subsitute for stag isn't it! Hope the young man is old enough to appreciate it...
Originally Posted by 22WRF
I like the knife very much, but with all due respect, you need to sharpen up a bit on your photography skills.

Definitely some truth to that and I have pretty decent camera and the stuff to build a light box etc. but I have been so busy making knives that I just haven't had time to really "focus" on the photography stuff.
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
very nice...that axis horn is a pretty good subsitute for stag isn't it! Hope the young man is old enough to appreciate it...

Yeah, Axis to me isn't as pretty as Sambar stag, but it is very tough dense stuff and much easier to get in Texas. I didn't meet the boy, but Dad is definitely gonna appreciate his and being a professional guide his is gonna see plenty of use. smile

Dale
Sweet knife. The photography thing is hard to get right. I take a lot of pictures before I get one that's any good,well kinda good, ok fair.

Steve
Originally Posted by SteveRandall
...before I get one that's any good,well kinda good, ok fair.

Laughin' well in my case, the good news is I never have to worry about a customer sayin' "but, it looked better in the pictures". smile
Posted By: Mink Re: Latest Hunter for a customer - 12/13/12
Originally Posted by woodson
Dale I'm sure that boy will crap his pants.

laugh +1
Thanks guys. Delivering the pair today. Dad is getting a monster skinner and his son the hunter pictured. My biggest disappointment is I won't get to see the reactions on a lot of these knives that are being delivered for Christmas. The axis horn was more trouble that I expected but I continue to learn about the complexities of working with natural materials and I think these came out about as good as any axis I've seen.

Dale
I like.
© 24hourcampfire