Home
Posted By: BHicks39 tomahawks - 03/15/13
Are there any tomahawk makers out there?
Posted By: Mink Re: tomahawks - 03/15/13
Several, but not that I am aware of here. You can find many of them over on BladeForums.
Posted By: add Re: tomahawks - 03/15/13
Throwing, camp duty, ornamentation, etc ?
Posted By: mike_e_miller Re: tomahawks - 03/15/13
Check out Devin Price out of Missouri. Usable and looks good also.
Posted By: mitchellmountain Re: tomahawks - 03/15/13
R W Wilson makes some beautiful pieces. More ornamental than users though.

MM
Posted By: woods_walker Re: tomahawks - 03/15/13
The Cold Steel Trail Hawk makes for a good everyday working tool. The only knock to some would be that it is made in Taiwan.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: tomahawks - 03/15/13
there is one guy on Blade Forums that makes beautiful hawks. Hand made, with a hammer welded hardened steel edge on a softer steel body.
I won't post his name, since I am still a day late in buying one. After I score, I'll tell y'all. laugh
Posted By: BHicks39 Re: tomahawks - 03/16/13
Thanks guys! i will check them all out! I make them but I usually make them from railroad spikes. Just wanted advice on better steels for them! Thanks again!
Posted By: BC30cal Re: tomahawks - 03/16/13
BHicks39;
While I'm aware what I've been doing doesn't constitute "making" a tomahawk, I've been modifying old roofing and drywall hammers for years now.

The resulting designs have varied somewhat in their usefulness, but there are a couple that work quite well for both camping duty and opening up briskets and such.

[Linked Image]

The top three are either as I bought them or nearly so. The next two down, the one with the fiddleback maple handle and the finger grooved handle, get the most use.

I left more of a head for hammering on the fiddleback handled one and it does work a bit better for that task, but the trade off is a couple more ounces in my day pack. Because of that it stays in the pickup and the finger grooved one gets bloody more often.

Anyway, I used to carry a couple lightweight folders and a "big" knife back in the day hunting here in BC, but I eventually changed the knife out for a lightweight folding saw and a tomahawk and that seems to be a much more useful combo for me these days.

Oh, I don't think I've paid much more than $7 for any old roofing hammers at flea markets so far, so it's a project that fits the budget without too much problem.

Hopefully that was some use to you sir. All the best to you this weekend and good luck with your tomahawk making endeavors.

Regards,
Dwayne
Posted By: woods_walker Re: tomahawks - 03/16/13
BC30cal

That Hawk with the finger grooved handle is mighty nice!
Posted By: BHicks39 Re: tomahawks - 03/17/13
Those are actually pretty nice sir! I may steal your idea! smile I have a couple hatchet heads lying around that would work well for that! Hope you don't mind!
Posted By: BC30cal Re: tomahawks - 03/17/13
BHicks39;
I'd not mind one iota sir, that's why I threw the idea up there in case it was any use to you or someone else out there in ether space who are fellow steel dust addicts.

As I don't have heat treating tools anymore everything I do these days starts out with already tempered steel and I cold grind it.

With the roofing hammers I've been able to cut them roughly into the shape I'm after with a 5" angle grinder and a zip cut disc. I just run a garden hose onto it while doing that - it's messy alright, but it appears that I've kept the temper so far.

I did one up for a good friend and he had me put a functional gut hook on the bottom - mine aren't sharpened and are only there because I thought they didn't look "right" otherwise. wink

Anyway Brad, I'd be interested in seeing photos of your creations when you're done them - if you are so inclined of course.

All the best to you this weekend.

Regards,
Dwayne
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: tomahawks - 03/17/13
Ryan Johnson makes some excellent tomahawks.
Posted By: BHicks39 Re: tomahawks - 03/24/13
Dwayne
I will post a few pics as soon as I get them made sir!
Posted By: aablades Re: tomahawks - 03/24/13
Stuart Willis at blacksmithmade.com

I've got several and want more !!
© 24hourcampfire