Home
Posted By: iambrb MY FIRST KNIFE - UPDATED - 04/15/13
Well, I finally got some time off from work, so after church, I decided to get a little work done on the knife (please recall, I ordered the PATCH KNIFE from jantz, and some very-very nice individual here provided me with some very pretty scales! I had previously glued the handles to the blade, so it was really just a matter of cutting off the pins, and getting to the sanding. before I get to it, here is a pic of my 'workstation.' Looks like a candidate for that webiste 'There, I fixed it.' :

[Linked Image]

Yep, that is on the FRONT PORCH! Hey, if I use the rail on the front porch as impromptu sanding station with some squeeze clamps, does that make a Jeff Foxworthy punchline?

OK, so despite that rather crude-looking setup< i got some pretty decent results, as you can see:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

OK, so Rick Menefee or any of the other pros here are not shaking in their boots, but not bad for first attempt! This is the raw knife after I got done with the belt sander. I still have ALOT of smoothing and sanding yet to go. But man, this sure was fun, what a neat little hobby I have picked up! I can't wait to get this one finished so i can start on another!
Posted By: cra1 Re: MY FIRST KNIFE - UPDATED - 04/18/13
nice job, I have made 100's of coyote calls on a sander just like that one
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: MY FIRST KNIFE - UPDATED - 04/18/13
Looks like you did some grinding on the blade.I thought the Russell blades were already finished.
Posted By: iambrb Re: MY FIRST KNIFE - UPDATED - 04/20/13
They were but the belt grinder got away from me on the top edge - I think you may be seeing glue from the tape that was on the blade
© 24hourcampfire