Home
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Kershaw - 02/16/14
Okay, I know this is like going into the Custom rifle forum and asking people what they think of Savages, but...

How are Kershaws as far as decent edge holding, quality of build and so forth? I don't need to skin three elk and a cape buffalo without sharpening, just something that won't dull completely when I open two UPS packages and open a few envelopes. Specifically, I was looking at their Oso Sweet and Chill (where do they get those names?) and they looked like okay carry knives that are easy to open with one hand.

Not looking to spend $300 on somebody's custom pocket knife, just want a usable EDC that's easy to open one handed with a useful blade shape and doesn't weigh as much as my old Buck 110.

http://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/oso-sweet

http://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/chill#
Posted By: 175rltw Re: Kershaw - 02/16/14
I've carried alot of Kershaw's and used them for a variety of hunting fishing camping and utility tasks. While using a kershaw I have never wished it were another brand, or wished that it worked better. They have proven satisfactory in there performance. I still have an old one very similar to a gerber gator or buck 110. I think I got it in 4th grade? maybe 6th. Anyway- I still have it, and its fine. It has done everything that a kid uses a knife for, and a hunter, and a fisherman, and a backpacker, and an airborne ranger over these last 23-25 years. my mom has a bigass kershaw kukri that she uses in the garden.
Posted By: rifle Re: Kershaw - 02/16/14
I carry and use several "Leeks", they are EZ open and damn sharp
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Kershaw - 02/16/14
I have a few I use. They make both USA and overseas knives.

Dave
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Kershaw - 02/16/14
Thanks for the info. Going back to Sportsman's Warehouse today to look some more.

Especially thanks for the info on American vs. foreign (probably China, right?) and also that tip on the Leek, being left handed the reversible sides for the pocket clip is a big deal for me. The prices for the ones I mentioned made me figure they were probably made overseas. I just started perusing their website last night and hadn't really looked at all the options.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Kershaw - 02/16/14
Originally Posted by rifle
I carry and use several "Leeks", they are EZ open and damn sharp

I have a leek and really like it for what it is. No complaints at all.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Kershaw - 02/16/14
Kershaws are a fine value. I have a fixed blade that I bought in the mid -80s. Sharpen it properly, and you can easily gut and skin 3-4 deer/antelope before you begin to that it has to be sharpened.

It was $50-60 back then. I like it so much that I keep buying other knives so that I don't wear it out. Now I've bought custom knives. Replacement cost for that Kershaw, if you can find it for sale is in the $250 range.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Kershaw - 02/16/14
i carried a Kershaw Skyline for awhile. seems like $40 at wally world. USA made.

Dave
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Kershaw - 02/16/14
I went to Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse and looked at a bunch of different folders - Benchmade, Gerber, SOG, Buck etc. and they all use the thumb assist stud on the blade. I must be as coordinated as a three legged giraffe because I'm sure I'd cut my thumb on one of those. I really like that index finger opening method of the Kershaws.

Looked a bunch of different Kershaws including the Leek, Blur, Scallion and Shallot. That Leek was nice and American made but I really prefer a bit more belly in the blade. The others were okay but either not the blade shape I wanted to a bit larger and heavier than I want for EDC.

Went to SW and looked at the Sweet and Chill again. The sweet has a good blade shape/size and is only 3 oz. while the Chill also has a good blade shape/size and is only 2 oz. The blades are both 3.1", not too long. Couldn't make up mind so I did the only logical thing - bought'em both. wink

After trying various carry positions - that right hand only clip does make LH carry a bit more awkward - the new Chill is riding in my back left pocket as this is typed.

Chill

[Linked Image]

Sweet

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hawken Re: Kershaw - 02/25/14
I've carried a Kershaw Echelon every day for the past year and a have. It's close to perfect for me.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Kershaw - 02/25/14
never owned one. I hear they are 'ok', but I like my Spyderco, Benchmade, ProTech knives, and just have not gotten around to buying one.
Posted By: Boise Re: Kershaw - 02/25/14
I used a Kershaw Elk Spring, made in Japan, for many years. The blade on this folder broke twice by chipping where the blade engages the lockback. Kershaw replaced the blade both times fast and trouble free.

I broke the blade both times the exact same way. After cleaning an animal I held the knife by the blade and slapped it against my palm to clear the gore. I do this on all my knives and the Kershaw has been the only one to break.

Mine sharpens easily to a fine edge but the edge retention is not all that great, good and many would say acceptable but not great.
Posted By: cranky72 Re: Kershaw - 02/26/14
my kershaw leek was an excellent knife but some others i bought were'nt near as decent.knifeguy39
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: Kershaw - 02/26/14
I've had a old boa with 440v for a long time that holds an excellent edge. I don't think the 440v is up to it's full potential but it makes for a great steel in a production knife. I've worked over a bunch of hogs with it and it holds up against that bristly nasty hair and fat better than most production knives I'm messed with.

Just my personal perspective, but their quality seems to be sort of all over. Some of their stuff seems sort of shoddy, while other stuff seems pretty good. The higher end stuff like the boa was/is done with premium materials and the quality seems great. Other stuff not so great.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Kershaw - 02/26/14
I'm really bummed I lost my Kershaw sweet as I was very suprised how good of a knife it was for under $30. I even used it for a can opener several times and a couple passes with a diamond stone had the edge right back to nice and sharp.

I replaced it with a scallion but it's going back as the easy opening doesn't open the blade all the way, and it just doesn't have the same balance and feel as the sweet.
Posted By: Boise Re: Kershaw - 02/26/14
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I'm really bummed I lost my Kershaw sweet as I was very suprised how good of a knife it was for under $30. I even used it for a can opener several times and a couple passes with a diamond stone had the edge right back to nice and sharp.

I replaced it with a scallion but it's going back as the easy opening doesn't open the blade all the way, and it just doesn't have the same balance and feel as the sweet.

There are Kershaw Sweet still available on line.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Kershaw - 02/27/14
Have a Gentlemans folder I really like. Of course it is discontinued.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Kershaw - 02/27/14
They use several different types of steel and I think that could be the reason for the spotty performance. The Chill and Sweet use Chinese steel 8cr13mov which one reviewer called "blah", not terrible just not great.

The ones Made in USA like the Skyline use Sandvik 14C28N, but their different models use all kinds including S30V. After reading some reviews I went out and bought a Skyline as well.

Been carrying them all around and what I really like is the very slim size, light 2-3 oz. weight and index finger opening.

As I stated at the beginning of this thread, I don't need a pocket knife to skin several animals in a row without sharpening it. I have some nice knives with better steel (and much heavier) for heavy duty stuff. I just need something that is light weight, easy and quick to open and sharp enough for occasionally cutting cardboard or opening a package or stuff like that. That Chill is really working out great and so far it has kept its edge very well. And if it dulls, oh well, that's what a steel and a strop are for. Zip zop, 10 seconds, sharp again.

With the most expensive of the three - the Skyline - costing $32.99 delivered I'm pretty happy with them.
Posted By: Jocko_Slugshot Re: Kershaw - 02/28/14
I've carried a Kershaw single-blade folder for over 30 years and like it very much. In fact, I just used it today to cut some ceiling tile for a suspended ceiling. It's slim and it holds an edge.
Posted By: TheWeatherman Re: Kershaw - 02/28/14
I have been carrying a kershaw leek around in my pocket for the last couple of years. I like it, I have lost a couple of them and still bought another.
Posted By: JGray Re: Kershaw - 03/01/14
I first saw the Kershaw Leek at our Sportsmans Wharehouse a year or so ago. It was made in China with a stainless blade and aluminum scales. I searched on-line to compare prices and found a US made version with S30V and G10 for a few dollars more. I ordered that one and carry it every day - it's a darn good knife.

I also have their Gentlemen's folder with VG10 which has been a great knife.
Posted By: super T Re: Kershaw - 03/02/14
I'm currently carry a Kershaw Mod.1830 with the assisted open feature and I really like it. Holds an edge OK and is easy to sharpen. Great value. I highly recommend it.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Kershaw - 03/02/14
Was looking at the Kershaw Sweet 1830's at Sportsman's and Ebay and like what I see.

A question for you guys in the know about the Sweet 1830.

Some 1830's notice some "assisted opening" while others don't specify it. Are all 1830's assisted opening?

What about blade material? Some 1830's advertise AUS6A Stainless while most show 8Cr13MoV as the blade material. Different knives? If so, which is better?

Thanks for any help.
Posted By: super T Re: Kershaw - 03/03/14
Lonny, my Kershaw Mod.1830 is made of 8Cr13MoV or so it says on the blade. And it is assisted opening don't know about others.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Kershaw - 03/04/14
Thanks T.

That seems to be the common configuration and probably what I'll get.
Posted By: mcmurphrjk Re: Kershaw - 03/04/14
As was previously stated, the Chinese made knives are 8CR13MoV. Most of the American made Kershaws are 14C28N, a Sandvik steel, roughly comparable to 154CM. a pretty decent steel.
The best value, by far, is the Skyline,an American made knife. They have been discontinued, but are still available from the Bay.
I don't care for an "assisted open" knife, as the blade is spring loaded. A Skyline is a "flipper" (non spring loaded) With a very little practice the flipper is at least as fast as an assisted open, with way fewer parts, and won't come open in tour pocket.
The Skyline also has a reversible clip.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Kershaw - 03/04/14
Good info Mc. Was scratchin' my head on the AUS6A SS stuff was supposed to be. And good point on an assist opening unintended.
Posted By: mcmurphrjk Re: Kershaw - 03/04/14
The Skyline has developed a kind of cult following. I paid around $10.00 for mine, and now a new one gets $30-40 on the Bay. Still a great value.
I own a bunch of way more expensive knives,up to the $400 range. None are much better.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Kershaw - 03/04/14
There are still new ones on Amazon for $32.99 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001CZBDF8/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new
Posted By: Hotload Re: Kershaw - 03/05/14
Just got a Kershaw Whirlwind as a birthday gift. Really like the Speed Safe opening. cool
Blade is 3.25" and weight is 3.5 oz. Made in the USA.
On the blade it is marked - Ken Onion design.

One question - who is Ken Onion ?
Posted By: Ron Re: Kershaw - 03/05/14
He's a knife designer that invented the speed safe and licensed it to Kershaw.
Posted By: Hotload Re: Kershaw - 03/05/14
Capt Ron - only had the Whirlwind a couple of days but I like it a lot.
It is my first Kershaw knife. Overall I would rate Kershaw as excellent.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Kershaw - 03/05/14
Some of my Kershaws. All are excellent for the price IMO......

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8219341/1
Posted By: whelenndealin Re: Kershaw - 03/12/14
I currently carry a scallion everyday. Also had the chive. I've really liked my kershaws.
Posted By: passport Re: Kershaw - 03/13/14
Originally Posted by Hotload
Just got a Kershaw Whirlwind as a birthday gift. Really like the Speed Safe opening. cool
Blade is 3.25" and weight is 3.5 oz. Made in the USA.
On the blade it is marked - Ken Onion design.

One question - who is Ken Onion ?

I have been using one of these for years, its my EDC when Im in jeans. LOVE it!
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Kershaw - 03/14/14
A couple days ago I realized my good bud has been carrying a Kershaw Chive for years now. Saw him cutting open a bag of shelled corn with it. I think he has a couple of them........
Posted By: local_favorite Re: Kershaw - 03/15/14
My current EDC is a Kershaw Leek with a D2 cutting edge. Not a dang thing wrong with this knife. Easy to open, slim and weight is about right. Good for opening mail, boxes or anything else you might need a knife for during a days work. Bought mine on amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1660CB-Stainless-Steel-Composite-two-tone/dp/B0017KN4MS
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Check that bevel! - 03/15/14
Finally got around to polishing the edge on my Sweet and Skyline and ended up completely regrinding the bevel on both.

Kershaw says to sharpen with an 18-22 degree bevel. Kudos to them for even telling us since a lot of knife makers don't. But when I clamped up the Skyline in the Lansky the first licks showed wear nowhere near the edge. I tried the different holes and that knife had a 30 degree bevel! The Sweet was a little better but it was still about 25 degrees. I had finished the edge of the Chill a few weeks ago and it was right on at 20 degrees.

Anyway, it took me about 1/2 hour to regrind that Skyline by hand with the coarse stone, then finish up with medium, fine and a final stropping with a leather strop. The Sweet was faster since the bevel wasn't so far off but it still took a good 20 minutes.

Now all three knives are super sharp, but the lesson learned is to check this stuff for yourself. wink

While I'm here - I've been using the Chill for a few weeks now for the general light stuff I use a pocket knife for - opening envelopes and packages, cut some cardboard for wrapping books and stuff like that. This morning when I checked the edge it was still very sharp. I gave it a few licks on the leather strop anyway (who among us can leave well enough alone? whistle ), but overall I am very pleased with this knife. Plus it's great to play with, flipping that blade out over and over and over... wink
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Kershaw update - 06/30/14
Thought I'd post an update on these after carrying them daily for the last three months or so.

Have settled on the Skyline for jeans carry and the Chill to carry at work. The Chill has a smaller and a little less "scary" blade shape so it won't freak people out in the office when I open it. It is carried hooked to my slacks' waistline with the clip under the belt at the 8 o'clock position (I'm left handed), almost like an IWB carry piece. With a shirt blousing out a bit over it you can't even tell it's there.

But I carry the bigger Skyline in my front left jeans pocket all the time I'm not at work.

Really like the index finger opening. Even though the clips are meant for a right hander so I have to reverse the knife when drawing, it's become a natural movement to grab the knife, twist it around and flip that blade open.

Overall I am really liking these Kershaws and think they are a great value. They don't see a lot of abusive use but for opening boxes, cutting twine or rope and general household use, even cutting a few lengths from an old rubber garden hose, they are just fine. Haven't had to sharpen either one yet in the 3 months I've had them, just licked the blades on a leather strop once.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Kershaw update - 06/30/14
I don't know how they do it, but my sweet deserves the boomarang award, i.e. it always comes back to you. I've managed to loose it twice while working our 1/2 acre lot, and it showed up again both times. First time I was working brush and it fell out of my pocket. After several months under the snow my son spotted it. The second time I figured it was gone for sure as I'd worked over the lot with a dozer. This Sunday I was at the lot with my wife and as she was sitting on a log I glanced the sweet sitting there next to a stump I'd pushed to the edge of the lot with the dozer.

I think the reason I've dropped it is the pocket clip has slightly "sprung" and it' won't stay clipped in my pocket. I think it's time to loose the spring clip before I loose the knife again.

Also a big fan of the speed opening.
© 24hourcampfire