Home
Posted By: VinceM John Lloyd Slipjoints - 03/20/14
John Lloyd, a retired contractor,resides in Missouri. A great friend. His retirement therapy is making slipjoint folders. Self taught,his work constantly improves.
He hollow grinds,and uses both ss & carbon steels.
John has an extensive handle material collection ,and loves to use various natural materials,and vintage synthetics as well.

I'll pop in time to time to show some knives. I hope you like them

This was a recent build,a bolsterless "shadow" , India Sambar stag, very high grade,I'm thinking the scales on this knife were cut off a roll . With good quality Sambar these days , it is hard to come by and most often if you see it with texture like this,it has been hand cut off of a roll.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: VinceM Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 03/20/14
Jack knife with Stellar's Sea Cow bone
[Linked Image]

"Basket Weave" Carbon Fiber
[Linked Image]

Hand jigged bone
[Linked Image]
This one is water buffalo horn,but from the crown,or the bark,with the natural texture
[Linked Image]

Mahogany dyed Sambar stag
[Linked Image]
smooth buffalo horn
[Linked Image]

Green dyed buckeye burl
[Linked Image]

More Sambar
[Linked Image]
Ironwood from Baja Mexico
[Linked Image]

More stag,this is rare here
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Westinghouse Ivory paper micarta,double fish
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
cactus slim
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sambar
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Red/black micarta
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Amber stag

[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c150/VCM3/John%20Lloyd/DSCN7646_zpsee7f64ae.jpg[/img]

Blue mammoth
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c150/VCM3/John%20Lloyd/DSCN6729_zpsb18f6163.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c150/VCM3/John%20Lloyd/DSCN6732_zps7e8019b6.jpg[/img]
Posted By: DaleAtkerson Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 03/20/14
Wicked
ram horn
[Linked Image]

look at this blue / black mammoth
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

more mammoth
[Linked Image]

rosewood burl
[Linked Image]

mother of pearl
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c150/VCM3/John%20Lloyd/DSCN5045_zps58694291.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c150/VCM3/John%20Lloyd/DSCN6281_zpsf1599e8f.jpg[/img]

Ancient Auroch (Google that)
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c150/VCM3/John%20Lloyd/DSCN4401_zps3e648ae2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c150/VCM3/John%20Lloyd/DSCN4395_zps056d80fe.jpg[/img]
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 03/20/14
guy has some of the most incredible natural materials I've ever seen and builds some of the most reasonably priced custom folders you'll ever get your hands on. As Vince said his quality continues to improve and some of the knives Vince sells the materials alone are worth more than he charges for the knife. Beautiful stuff Vince.
Originally Posted by mtnman1
guy has some of the most incredible natural materials I've ever seen and builds some of the most reasonably priced custom folders you'll ever get your hands on. As Vince said his quality continues to improve and some of the knives Vince sells the materials alone are worth more than he charges for the knife. Beautiful stuff Vince.

Thank's Dale

John is having fun building folders. He's not afraid to attempt to put a dent in his handle materials stash.
We're always looking for homes (pockets) ,and I always have a nice selection to choose from.
Posted By: Boise Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 03/20/14
I only have the one John Lloyd Stag Spear Point Jack but it has become one of my favorite EDC. It holds an edge exceptionally well. Got the knife from Vince, sure glad he posts here.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm afraid to visit his website but can't resist the temptation.
Posted By: RenoH414 Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 03/20/14
I have had a few Lloyd folders and still have some left. Vince is right his work is always improving and he is getting very good. His prices are hard to beat and the natural scales are awesome. I'm very glad Vince can bring these to us and show us all the sweet stuff John and others make.

Thanks Vince and John.

Reno
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 03/20/14
I have one Lloyd folder and really like it. His hollow grind is great and the blade has held it's edge very well.
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 03/20/14
By the way Vince tell John any ivory he's got is now worthless so he should just send it all to me before it's all confiscated. smile
Posted By: antlers Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 03/20/14
[Linked Image]
I like the schit outa this one.
Posted By: VinceM Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 03/21/14
Originally Posted by antlers
[Linked Image]
I like the schit outa this one.

Danny Here is another from the same litter
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanks All You Guys for the comments & Posts
Posted By: woodson Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 03/21/14
He likes the shadow style Lanny types.
Posted By: ar33c9 Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 03/21/14
Lloyd Family shot with latest buy Green Dyed Buckeye Burl
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: VinceM Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 03/21/14
Thanks for adding pics Adam,and Boise too!
Posted By: Boise Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 03/21/14
A 3 1/2 inch overall with some of his blue ivory would get me to open my wallet awfully fast. Spear point preferred with rounded features, a good front pocket knife.
Posted By: cranky72 Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 03/21/14
really have to give lloyd lots of credit for the amazing variety of materials & patterns. cranky72
Posted By: rikker9999 Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 03/22/14
Vince - will these be listed on your site??
Posted By: VinceM Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 03/22/14
Originally Posted by rikker9999
Vince - will these be listed on your site??
most of the one's I posted are sold but there is a nice selection on my site fs
Posted By: VinceM Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 03/24/14
This link will take you to my site where you can see some of the Lloyd folders I have had engraved :
http://www.vcmcustomknives.com/engraving.html
Posted By: rickmenefee Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 03/24/14
A Man can absolutely find know better deal. John Lloyd is a class act.
Posted By: Boise Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 03/24/14
Originally Posted by rickmenefee

Rick, that was just plain old down right mean linking Vince's page like that. I didn't even realize that page existed on his website.
Originally Posted by Boise

Rick, that was just plain old down right mean linking Vince's page like that. I didn't even realize that page existed on his website.

Boise I posted that link. Some pages on my site,you click on the actual titles that do not pop out. It'll either be a page,or,direct you to the "Home" page. Fool around on there,it won't bite you & you can't hurt it. But if you don't ,think of everything you'll be missing
Posted By: Boise Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 03/24/14
Originally Posted by VinceM
Originally Posted by Boise

Boise I posted that link. Some pages on my site,you click on the actual titles that do not pop out. It'll either be a page,or,direct you to the "Home" page. Fool around on there,it won't bite you & you can't hurt it. But if you don't ,think of everything you'll be missing

Rick, here is my formal apology, my bad, my mistake. Vince on the other hand, aren't those slippy's expensive enough without the engraving? I'll look to add engraved bolsters to my next purchase, adds more class, IMHO.
To be honest, I send "batches" down to my cousin. I really try to stay away from custom orders for this embellishment. But the knives that come back,the cost is reasonable because he uses it as practice so.... But he is good
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 03/27/14
Some of the engraved ones are beyond fantastic as far as I'm concerned. He's not just good, he is really good!!!
Posted By: VinceM Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 03/27/14
I have a small batch out for engraving now. They are going to go on John's table at Blade ,but if I get them here on time I'll post a group shot and if anyone wants one just contact me. It'll be a couple weeks yet
Posted By: rickmenefee Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 03/28/14
Will they be for sale?
Posted By: rickmenefee Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 03/28/14
Is the engraving steal done by your Kin?
Posted By: VinceM Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 03/28/14
Yep my cousin does them for me I'll post a pile of engraved knives available but I gotta get hem first.
Posted By: VinceM Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 04/09/14
OK so today I got in a Lloyd,back from the engraver. Well,I got 2 but one is Sold.

Anyhow I'll put this here for a day before I list it on Bladeforums

This is a Lanny's clip with a 52100 carbon ball bearing steel blade & spring. It is 4-1/8" closed,7.25" open. The blade is 3-1/8" with 2-7/8" of cutting edge. Hollow ground,crescent nail pull & a swedge. Sambar stag,nice thin knife. Firm pull like a 6+ to seven. I can pinch the blade open. Price is $355. includes shipping in the States & Paypal fee's too. Knife will ship in a leather padded case

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c150/VCM3/John%20Lloyd/DSCN9869_zps2223aa69.jpg[/img]
Posted By: Boise Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 04/09/14
The engraving sets off an already beautiful knife.
Posted By: RenoH414 Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 04/09/14
Very nice looking LC Vince. I like the engraving he did on it.

Reno
Posted By: ar33c9 Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 04/18/14
Newest to my Lloyd Family:
By the way, Vince has a great sale on Lloyd's going on now too.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Boise Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 04/18/14
Originally Posted by ar33c9
Newest to my Lloyd Family:
By the way, Vince has a great sale on Lloyd's going on now too.
[Linked Image]

And off I go to Vince's website.
Posted By: VinceM Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 04/18/14
Looking good Adam Thanks Fella's

Here is the details of the sale :
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...90187/Re_Good_Friday_4_18_14#Post8790187
Posted By: VinceM Re: John Lloyd Slipjoints - 12/21/14
Here is a small Gent Hunter,3" closed size, just back from the engraver. Mammoth ivory ain'too shabby.......

Merry Christmas everyone

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c150/VCM3/John%20Lloyd/DSCN2729_zpsc1a22268.jpg[/img]
© 24hourcampfire