Home
Posted By: MOGC Loaning a knife... - 04/04/14
Be careful if you aren't already when asked if someone can borrow your knife. Last weekend my son and I shot a 3D archery tournament. We had two other guys assigned to our squad to shoot through the course. There was a group of four guys and two girls shooting ahead of us and we often had to wait for them. At one point one of the girls was having trouble with her peep sight on her bow. It was an older type that used surgical tubing that runs from the peep on the string to the upper limb. That tubing needed trimming and she asked the guys in her group if any of them had a knife. Not one of those early twenty something bowhunters had a knife!!! Dang! What sorta outdoorsman doesn't pack a pocketknife? Anyway, she turned and asked me if I had a knife. I asked her what she needed cut, she explained and held her bow out, so I fished my knife out of pocket (small Spyderco Wegner) and trimmed the tubing for her.

Later one of the guys in that squad asked if he could borrow a knife from one of us and one of the other guys in my squad handed over his Case Trapper. I watched as this young dude that borrowed the knife looked it over and opened the blades and then selected the spey blade to use as a screwdriver to tighten a screw on his bow. This guy really cranked down on that screw and broke the thin cutting edge off the bottom of the blade. You could hear the metal cracking and grinding, I cringed and looked at my son and he raised an eyebrow and grinned. The knife owner failed to ask beforehand for what purpose his knife was going to be used for and while he looked in pain he never said a word to the borrower about what he was doing. It was an interesting display of stupidity on both of them. My son was carrying a small Benchmade AFCK and later told me no way would he have loaned any of them his knife for any reason. Smart kid...
Posted By: poboy Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/04/14
How a man could make a day without a knife is beyond me.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/04/14
I know what you mean. In high school I had bought this knife

http://www.schrade-knives.com/OldTimer194OT.html and even had a nice sheath made for it.

While working a gate at that Calgary Stampede, I loaned it to a coworker who promptly used it to pry something and bent the blade tip slightly. He bought that knife from me, but I have never replaced it.

For what it was, it was a nice light duty liner locker folder. Sigh. Still have the sheath 32 years later. Pack rat I guess.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/04/14
Originally Posted by poboy

I feel naked without a least my little Gerber folder in my pocket, even in dress pants.

http://www.gerbergear.com/Essentials/Knives/Ultralight-LST-Knife_46050
Posted By: VinceM Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/04/14
I usually carry a custom hand made pocket knife,every day. But when I'm going out amongst people,like scouting or the cooking I do for the Scout events,Memorial Day,The Fourth,also the little leagues spring hot dog event,the Scouts annual car show,and another,our Church's Octoberfest...I carry production cutlery. For the exact reason the OP stated.
Now I know a fella who had a Tony Bose swayback jack and handed it off just like the OP says,at a gathering. To do what with it no one knows but when he gave it back the tip of the warncliffe blade was snapped off ! Tony ground & re shaped,but still,holy shute man!

So to the OP this is a great post to alert the knife enthusiasts.

I also take a less quality pocket knife while out on a boat fishing & had a customer drop a nice PJ Tomes stag folder into Lake Washington. It was only a $500. knife.

Posted By: JSTUART Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/04/14
I made the mistake of lending a Puma skinner to a fellow at Mortat station in Victoria when I was a younger fellow, it turns out that he was going to cut the emeries on the shearers grinder with it.
The fool just could not understand why I went off the deep end, and thought that I was very unreasonable.

I thought he was lucky to be alive.
Posted By: rickmenefee Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/04/14
I was tit deep in a swamp trapping beaver. Another trapper who was very young ask to borrow my knife. I was setting a conibear
turner around he was trying to cut #9 wire with my pocketknife.
Posted By: Big_Chris Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/04/14
When I worked a normal job around other adults I used to keep a folding utility knife on me as my loaner blade. I never sharpened it nor replaced the blade and eventually guys stopped asking to borrow a knife from me.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/04/14
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
I was tit deep in a swamp trapping beaver. Another trapper who was very young ask to borrow my knife. I was setting a conibear

Having just acquired my first Menefee folder (from Reno) ain't nobody gonna be cutting anything with it other than me. It is absolutely going to get used as an EDC knife and for small game and skinning furbearers so it will get worked out and often. But there is a difference between using a knife and abusing a knife. The shame of it is that in our society too many products are designed to be used and then trashed when they get worn, rather than maintained and/or repaired. Nowadays many people don't understand that difference between use and abuse. BTW, damned fine knife Rick!
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/04/14
Many years ago, I made the mistake of loaning my pocket knife to a guy I worked with. He brought it back later and I just slipped it into my pocket. Later, I discovered he had somehow really abused it and ruined one of the blades. He didn't mention that when he brought it back, and I never brought the issue up. From that day, I don't loan a knife to anyone-period.

I figure that a man that doesn't have sense enough to carry his own knife, isn't likely to have sense enough to use mine properly. YMMV
Posted By: 4ager Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/04/14
This is why there are generally at least two pocket knives on me daily. One is mine and doesn't ever get loaned out or abused. The other is the loaner/beater. When loaned out, it quite often opens the door for some education (to put it mildly).

Oh, and always ask what they need the knife for.

If I have pants on, then I have a knife. Been that way since I was old enough to wear long pants.
Posted By: Boise Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/04/14
Was around new friends and one's wife went to open a box and I offered my knife. I opened it and handed it over. She commenced to try cutting with the back of the blade, got the blade to pop off the first stop. Scared me good. Never thought to it was necessary to explain to an adult how to use a knife.
Posted By: DaleAtkerson Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/04/14

Sometimes tit deep is the same as waist deep.
Posted By: rickmenefee Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/04/14
I could do without that rolling around in my head.
Posted By: woodson Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/05/14

Only time I'm without my Alan Davis liner lock is when I'm in the shower or I'm banging the wife.
Posted By: cranky72 Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/05/14
showed a employee my puma stag handled folder & he opened it up & took a cheapie from his pocket; then he put the blades together & raked the edges againt each other. i asked him what the hell he was doing ,he replied that way the way to tell which had better steel. cranky72
Posted By: 4ager Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/05/14
Originally Posted by cranky72
showed a employee my puma stag handled folder & he opened it up & took a cheapie from his pocket; then he put the blades together & raked the edges againt each other. i asked him what the hell he was doing ,he replied that way the way to tell which had better steel. cranky72

That SOB would have been punched.
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/05/14
I never carry any of my custom folders. i do carry a Benchmade or ZT in my left pocket and a SAK with 5-6 tools in my right pocket. I never loan any of my knives to anyone, not even my adult children. when I lived in Germany I went to the Wenger factory in Switzerland. I have two factory SAK Officers models which are too nice to carry.
Posted By: Boise Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/06/14
I carry a custom folder and believe I'm worth the expense. I continue to find myself handling it far more often than my production knives. It's a fairly recent purchase and I may out grow the lust but I hope not.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/06/14
Ahhh you guys are always good for a grin. Some funny $hit.

Most of the time someone asks me for a knife is at work. I ALWAYS ask what for.

I did loan my knife to a guy I stumbled upon in the woods. He was looking for a doe shot night before by his handicapped buddy. I found his deer, and loaned him my knife. He was kinda ashamed that he forgot his blade. I then helped drag deer through some thick as$ woods to where four wheeler could get to it.

I guess sometimes it pays to help others. That same guy gave me his number. Said if I ever need help, call him. Next day I shot a 262 lb. buck. Without his 4-wheeler, I would still be dragging it......
Posted By: woodson Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/06/14
I'm a registered nurse on a cardiac unit at a local community hospital. Naturally I work with all woman mostly but they all know I'm the "knife guy". Most broads carry scissors and kelly clamps. Not many days go by that my colleagues don't ask for my Alan Davis liner lock(not by name) for any number of tasks. Yes there was a learning curve teaching numerous, no common sense women how to work a liner lock. Luckily we have a maintenance department for chores that would damage it.
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/06/14
The only time I hand over my knife(knives) is at deer camp. Even then I am right there. I did allow a couple people to borrow that big Santoku Dale made for me and a one of my VG-10 Nakiris. Thngs got a little iffy about getting them back, no one wanted to part with them.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/06/14
I do not loan my knife(s). If it is necessary, I'll do the cutting for someone but my knife goes right back in my pocket... or sheath.

I suppose if I were going to carry a "loan out" knife it would be a SAK with several blades for several chores.

I can not imagine a man not having a good pocket knife in his pants pocket. Any man too unthinking to carry a knife certainly does not know how to use mine. grin

L.W.
Posted By: retrieverman Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/06/14
I love knives, and I have seen too many people do stupid crap with a knife to ever loan on of mine.

My edc is a Benchmade 940 that I bought second hand, and for some reason, I just really like that knife. I carried a Benchmade AFCK for years, and I still do on occasion.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/06/14

most of today's yutes are not real men. GenXers and millennials. They are not like 'us'. shocked

..........and I'd NEVER loan a knife. If they know knives, they already have their own, if they don't have one, they can't be trusted with one of mine.
Posted By: Hotload Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/08/14
Originally Posted by MOGC
My son was carrying a small Benchmade AFCK and later told me no way would he have loaned any of them his knife for any reason. Smart kid...

Yes....very smart kid. Took me many years to learn this lesson. I would loan my brother a knife if he asked. Anyone else can GFY.
Posted By: troutfly Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/09/14
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

most of today's yutes are not real men. GenXers and millennials. They are not like 'us'. shocked

..........and I'd NEVER loan a knife. If they know knives, they already have their own, if they don't have one, they can't be trusted with one of mine.

Exactly! My boys also carry their own knives, good qual and like me, cannot understand folks not carrying a knife and do not loan a knife to anyone.
I violated my rule once many years ago and wound up with a tip-less Buck 110.
In todays world of good multi tools there is no reason a man doesn't carry one of that style at the minimum. I carry both a Leatherman and a small Charlie May daily. At work the May is subbed out for a KOA Master Guide folder.
Posted By: Big_Chris Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/09/14
I was in a Sam's Club a while back and the workers had just brought a plastic wrapped pallet down and no one had a knife to cut the straps and plastic. They saw me walking by and asked to borrow my neck knife. They were totally shocked when I said no but would gladly cut it for them. Told me I could not cross the barrier, so I walked on without them getting their pallet opened.
It is really shocking to me that guys do not at least carry a small traditional pen knife. What do they scrape the dirt from under their nails with?
Posted By: Bay_Dog Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/09/14
I really like the Paraframe Mini.

Really hard to not have handy.
Posted By: Hotload Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/09/14
Originally Posted by 4ager

If I have pants on, then I have a knife. Been that way since I was old enough to wear long pants.

Interesting way to put it ... but true. First thing in the morning, as soon as I get my pants on, I'm reaching for a pocket knife.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/10/14

After loaning my knive(s) to the same guy(s) 4 days in a row at work this week, I finally asked the one why the hell he doesn't buy a pocket knife for work..........
Posted By: JTMcC Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/10/14

Right.
Or a Woman. The only people who can borrow my knife are my Wife/Chic or my Son and Daughters. Plus about 2 good friends.
But they don't ask because they have solid knives of their own (little bitty ones for The Girls, but good nonetheless).

I get asked several times a week "hey, you gotta knife"? well sure but I'll use it : ) it's impossible to hand over a shaving blade to a heathen.

John

Posted By: eh76 Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/17/14
My name is Keith and I am a knife-aholic......

I usually have 3 on me at all times...a Leather man, Spyderco Scott VG-10 and a small Victoronix pocket knife. I do not lend people my knives. However I will cut something for them.

I feel naked without one when I am forced to fly
Posted By: DaleAtkerson Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/17/14
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

After loaning my knive(s) to the same guy(s) 4 days in a row at work this week, I finally asked the one why the hell he doesn't buy a pocket knife for work..........

Got so bad for me, I gave him one of my old ones and thought he'd loose it with in a week. To my surprise its 3 years later and he still has it.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/17/14
Yesterday I loaned my Kershaw to a guy. 5 minutes later another guy comes up and asks to borrow it. I gave him one of those folding razor knives out of my tool box.

4 hours later, I had to ask for my Kershaw back.......

Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/17/14
Originally Posted by eh76
My name is Keith and I am a knife-aholic......

I usually have 3 on me at all times...a Leather man, Spyderco Scott VG-10 and a small Victoronix pocket knife. I do not lend people my knives. However I will cut something for them.

I feel naked without one when I am forced to fly

One of the main reasons I don't Fly anymore. If I can't take my knife, I don't need to be going there! I Can't imagine ANY Man not carrying a knife. I don't loan mine out either. But I will cut something for someone if they ask. They usually back up when I open up a 4" Switchblade cool

I've given all my Neices & Nephews pocket knifes as soon as they were old enough to be responsible with one. I also have given them all a new hunting knife when they shot their first deer.

I always carry two pocket knifes. A Spyderco Police Serrated model that I use everyday for cutting the twine off of Round Hay Bales that we feed our cows. And usually a 4" BenchMade folder that I've had for nearly 20 years, now.
And yes, I'm a knife-aholic, too. I have at least 25 pocket knifes and at least 20 custom hunting knifes. Mostly Dosier & Ingrams. Bought another real nice Dozier Custom from Bob himself at the Tulsa Show a few weeks ago.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/17/14
If you are a knife-aholic with 45 knives or so, they may not have a word for me shocked I have sold off easily 100 in the last year or so and didn't even make a dent.

Knife guys tend to be real good fellers, IME.......
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/18/14
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

Same reason the guy who doesn't wear a watch needs to know what time it is every fifteen minutes.
When I was working and a guy would ask what time it was I'd lie to him and tell him it was about 30-40 minutes earlier than it really was so he'd think it was longer until lunch or quitting time. grin

BTW Ken,,, if those guys keep borrowing your knife let me know. I'll send my little GEC25 over for a while. That baby's razor sharp blade and 400lb back spring with half stops will put an end to that quick.
I'm telling ya,,, it's like a frikin little Alligator:)

PS,,, make sure you have a good supply of band aids before loaning it out though.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/18/14
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

That's what i was going to say.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/18/14

Likely I would have punched him in the brain if that were mine.
Posted By: Boise Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/18/14
Lots of tough talk about not loaning knives on here. Had a knife maker who posts on this site mail me his favorite knife for me to check out/use. Truth be known, I bet most of those that post on this site would hand me their knife if I asked. Far too many great posters here that would begrudge a fellow outdoors man a cutting tool. Most here mail knives before they receive payment and I've yet to hear of anyone getting burned by a regular.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/18/14
The difference being that most people on here are knife people and thus conversant with the issues that arise with the use of another man's personal edged tool.

And that is a minute percentage of the population...most dipsticks out there seem to enjoy stuffing peoples gear.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/18/14
Not sure why you are directing that at me, but for the record, I was referring to someone abusing something I lent them that was as nice as one of Ricks folders. I know some/many may just consider one of his folders a "tool" but I'm new to this stuff and I consider his knives works of art to be used as intended.
Posted By: Boise Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/18/14
Sorry Finn, surely wasn't meaning to direct my comment at you, or anyone in particular. I'm guilty of hitting the reply button and THEN engaging my brain. I totally agree with your comment regarding the loaning of a deluxe, finely crafted, cutting tool. I'll never let anyone use my Todd Davison folder, heck not sure I'll even trust myself to use it.
Posted By: whelenndealin Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/22/14
I'd sooner leave home without my wallet than without my knife. Always have it on me.
Posted By: krupp Re: Loaning a knife... - 04/24/14
I gave my 20 year old daughter a Benchmade Snody a few years back and she won't even let ME use it.....
© 24hourcampfire