Home
Posted By: mtnman1 Two makers marks - 06/03/14
First time I ever went to Rick Menefee's shop he was getting knives ready for a Blade Show. Among the ones he was getting ready were a pair of Absolutely premiere Stag Handled stick tang knives. I commented how much I liked 'em and Rick handed me a piece of steel and the template for the larger one and said "Well hell, you're a knife maker, get busy...",

I cut out the blank and Rick put his makers mark on it, marked it "proto" and said "we'll make this a collaboration deal and work on it together, When it's done you can put your maker's mark on it too". He heat treated it and started teachin' me to grind. This was the very first blade he helped me learn to grind on. He showed me what to do and I did the rough grind. Then he did a bunch of the clean up on my very rough job and turned it back into a nice grind. He got it down to about a 220 grit belt and masked it off. He then showed me how to mill and fit the guard. There isn't a drop of solder on one of Rick's guard btw. Anyway, I wasn't anywhere close to ready to finish that knife back then, a few more passes with Rick he showed me how to glue up the liners and handle and butt cap and left me the rough mess to finish out. We dropped it off at Larry Parson's for a sheath and I think my skills are finally up to the task. I just finished out all the handle work, shaping the guard and butt cap and matching everything up to the stag and so forth, finished the blade and cut in the swedges. So here's the collaboration knife along with the original smaller version that I managed to pick up after that blade show a couple of years ago.

I'm as proud of this knife and the fact that it has maker's marks from both Rick and I on it as I am of any other knife I've ever done.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: mike_e_miller Re: Two makers marks - 06/03/14
Way to go Dale!
Posted By: Batchief909 Re: Two makers marks - 06/04/14
Very nice!
Posted By: EdKin Re: Two makers marks - 06/04/14
Very nice!!!!
Posted By: ljparsons Re: Two makers marks - 06/04/14
Dale glad I could add my part to the calaboration, nice.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Two makers marks - 06/04/14
Nice job Dale.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Two makers marks - 06/04/14
drooling!!!!

GWB
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: Two makers marks - 06/04/14
Originally Posted by ljparsons
Dale glad I could add my part to the calaboration, nice.

Only leather up to the caliber to go with these knives Larry.
Posted By: Ron Re: Two makers marks - 06/04/14
Damn Dale, that's beautiful!
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: Two makers marks - 06/04/14
Very nice knife and sheath. Project is not complete until the knife is fully field tested. I will gladly be the first to volunteer for such difficult duty.
Posted By: DaleAtkerson Re: Two makers marks - 06/04/14
Kick azz bro
Posted By: VinceM Re: Two makers marks - 06/04/14
Wow Dale, awesome. Oh yeah,Ricky Bob too Nice stuff there
PS ,Parson's too !!!!!
Posted By: rickmenefee Re: Two makers marks - 06/04/14
Dale you did a great job
Posted By: Bryant Re: Two makers marks - 06/04/14
Great looking knife!
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Two makers marks - 06/06/14
Very nice Rick and Dale.

One comment on maker's marks. JMO, but ALL should be where Rick places his, and NOT on the blade..........
Posted By: cranky72 Re: Two makers marks - 06/07/14
looks like your in high gear buddy; i dont think those will break on a popsickle stick..cranky72
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Two makers marks - 06/07/14
Dale, that is quite a piece, and a very good story. Rick is a prince, and that sheath by Larry is beautiful.
Posted By: SLM Re: Two makers marks - 06/07/14
Very nice.
© 24hourcampfire