Home
Which one and why?

After patiently waiting for my name to come up, I am getting another Ingram with Westinghouse scales and either black or red liners in a few weeks. Can't decide between a Lite Hunter or 4 B&T.
4 B&T because that would be my next one.
I've got both, you won't do wrong with either. Very little difference when all is said and done.
Go with the red liners. Don't force me to flex my WM Dowell again.
Red liners it is! Been comparing the lite hunter with the B&T and really only seeing blade width difference and only a very slight tip geometry difference.

Been wanting a B&T for a long time, but now leaning toward a lite hunter for some reason.
I am up this week with Gene. Couldn't decide between lite hunter ,vanilla or slim in Westinghouse micarta. Went with slim in s30v. Already have a couple b&t's. Hard decision!
If I had to make that choice, I would go with the lite hunter for its tip profile.
Posted By: JSH Re: #4 Ingram B&T or Lite Hunter - 02/26/15
I have them both and like them both. If forced to choose-probably the Lite Hunter just for the slightly bigger handle. You really can't go wrong with either. The B&T is a a bit of a trailing or neutral point while the Lite is dropped a bit if that makes a difference.
I have two knives getting finished at the end of next month. Been a 13 month wait so far... will post pics
I talked with Gene Monday about the blade shape difference between a B&T and the lite hunter. He said they are very similar but the B&T has a slightly trailing or upswept point and the lite hunter HS a dropped point.

Posted By: JSH Re: #4 Ingram B&T or Lite Hunter - 02/27/15
Not the greatest photo. Lite Hunter on top, #4 B&T in the middle and a short Slim on the bottom.

[Linked Image]
Does not get much nicer! Beautiful collection.
Not a nickle's worth of difference in the three. They all work great for slicing a tomato out of the garden, or boning out a deer.

#1 B&T
#4 B&T
LiteHunter

[Linked Image]
That middle light colored BT is a looker always loved that one.
I have about 2 weeks to finalize my decision. So far I am 51% leaning toward the #4 B&T over the Lite Hunter.

What I am getting is Westinghouse scales, red liners, tapered tang and mosaic pins.

Thanks for the pics guys. I like Gene's knives a lot. There is something about his handle designs and his blade geometry (not to mention workmanship and customer service) that draws me back. Nothing against May's knives (owned a couple), but Gene just does it for me.

Here are some Ingram's I own or have owned at one time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
a B&T that I regret selling here on the fire. Wanted a AR real bad!

[Linked Image]

A Dozier I regret selling here on the fire:

[Linked Image]

A Charlie May that I couldn't like and sold:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I love that stag B&T. Maybe the ultimate B&T knife. I can see why you regret selling it.
Posted By: JSH Re: #4 Ingram B&T or Lite Hunter - 02/28/15
Originally Posted by INTHEMTNS
That middle light colored BT is a looker always loved that one.

Thank you. Spalted maple. My kids ordered it for me as a Father's Day gift several years ago. It's a neat little knife.
Posted By: JSH Re: #4 Ingram B&T or Lite Hunter - 02/28/15
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Not a nickle's worth of difference in the three. They all work great for slicing a tomato out of the garden, or boning out a deer.

#1 B&T
#4 B&T
LiteHunter

[Linked Image]

Does the #1 B&T have a slimmer blade yet than the #4 or is it just the angle? Those sure are some nice pieces of Ironwood.
Posted By: MOGC Re: #4 Ingram B&T or Lite Hunter - 02/28/15
My #4 B&T just might be my all around favorite fixed blade.
Originally Posted by JSH
Originally Posted by Cheesy

#1 B&T
#4 B&T
LiteHunter

[Linked Image]

Does the #1 B&T have a slimmer blade yet than the #4 or is it just the angle? Those sure are some nice pieces of Ironwood.

Profiles are same. Photographer is careless. smile
© 24hourcampfire