Home
Posted By: joshf303 Fillet knives.... - 05/25/15
Got a hankerin to get a couple built up for a pard and I. SV blades are a given and thinking jigged G10 handles. Let's see what y'all have...
Posted By: geedubya Re: Fillet knives.... - 05/25/15
Jest fer schitz n giggles........

[Linked Image]

Rocky Menefee sent me this one.

[Linked Image]

Jigged G-10, red liners, thinking AEB-l or ATS-34 on the steel ( I stand to be corrected).

Best,

GWB
Posted By: saddlering Re: Fillet knives.... - 05/25/15
Thats a fine looking Knife!
Posted By: joshf303 Re: Fillet knives.... - 05/25/15
Nice GDub....

Who's the make on the one second from left?
Are the blade materials you stated a type of stainless?
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Fillet knives.... - 05/25/15
You didn't give a budget, but that notwithstanding:

Phil Wilson
Paul LeBatard
Mike Young
Posted By: geedubya Re: Fillet knives.... - 05/25/15
Originally Posted by joshf303

Who's the make on the one second from left?
Are the blade materials you stated a type of stainless?

From left to right, knife 1 & 2 are by Rick Menefee. No. 3 is by his brother Rocky. No. 4 is one of Ricks. No. 5 is by Gary Dukeman, another Oklahoma knifemaker and is D2,(a type of carbon steel) IIRC.
IIRC the Dukeman knife was a modified bird and trout of his own design.

No. 2 is marked "Proto" which is now called the "catfish", IIRC.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Many of Ricks knives are 154 CM (a stainless steel which you can "google")as is this one, IIRC. I got No. 2 from VinceM here on the forum. Rd/orange liners and dark green linen Micarta scales (IIRC).

If I'm incorrect in any of these details, perhaps Vince, Rick or Rocky can correct my error.

Best,

GWB

Posted By: darrenk75b Re: Fillet knives.... - 05/27/15
Have one that is just finished up by Joel Clark. Patterned after a Phil Wilson Shelter Cove, and headed as a gift to a friend for some Oregon coast salmon work. S30V and micarta scales with red liners
[Linked Image]
Posted By: antlers Re: Fillet knives.... - 05/27/15
Looks like you could get some work done with that one, and enjoy doin' it at the same time.
Very nice...!
Posted By: jpb Re: Fillet knives.... - 05/27/15
Here is one that belongs to Rocky Menefee -- I want it!

[Linked Image]

John
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Fillet knives.... - 05/27/15
Originally Posted by darrenk75b
Have one that is just finished up by Joel Clark. Patterned after a Phil Wilson Shelter Cove, and headed as a gift to a friend for some Oregon coast salmon work. S30V and micarta scales with red liners
[Linked Image]

That's nice:)
Phil Wilson.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Joel Clark's version of the Shelter Cove is a very nice knife. I just saw and handled one on Monday.
Posted By: Ruger6555 Re: Fillet knives.... - 06/06/15
What can you tell us about the one all the way to the right.
Posted By: Chootem_Again Re: Fillet knives.... - 06/07/15
Phil Wilson is the master when it comes to functional fillet knives. Aside from his usual exotic metal offerings, he also offers a Shelter Cove in 154CM that's hard to beat. Phil's handles are larger than most, which I find to be an advantage once the handle becomes slimy. Rick Menefee offers a thinly ground knife that performs very well on larger fish and does double duty in boning out big game. Some of Rick's knives have a hump in the handle that helps out whenever leverage is needed to power through large fish. Rocky Menefee and Mike Miller also offer excellent performing knives. I'm a little partial towards Phil and Ricks knives not just because of their excellent edge retention, but because of their generous sized handles. Best of luck to you.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Fillet knives.... - 06/08/15
speaking of handles, most of the blade smiths will tailor the handle size to your needs, if you ask them up front.
Posted By: pal Re: Fillet knives.... - 06/08/15
Buck.

[Linked Image]

or Normark

[Linked Image]

or Rapala.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Cheesy Re: Fillet knives.... - 06/10/15
Originally Posted by geedubya
Jest fer schitz n giggles........

[Linked Image]

Am I the only one that thinks the irony in this picture is absolutely hilarious?

All joking aside, great looking knives. smile
© 24hourcampfire