Home
Posted By: troutfisher13111 Custom sheaths - 07/27/15
Hey guys, since you all have such good taste in knives, I figure your the ones to ask for recommendations on good leather sheath makers? Posting pictures is a huge bonus!
Posted By: VinceM Re: Custom sheaths - 07/27/15
I like Larry Parsons sheaths. Link to his site,in the Links section,on my site
Posted By: mike_e_miller Re: Custom sheaths - 07/27/15
^^^^
I make my own but they have always looked nicer since I get advice from Larry! I also buy some of his for special projects I do.
Posted By: Sakohunter264 Re: Custom sheaths - 07/27/15
Check out Paul Long or Claude Scott.

Exceptional, flawless work.
Claude on left, Paul on the right.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: Custom sheaths - 07/27/15
Larry does my custom work on anything i don't build myself and in my opinion he builds the best custom sheath made bar none
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Custom sheaths - 07/27/15
Exactly. His fit and finish are second to none.
Posted By: rickmenefee Re: Custom sheaths - 07/28/15
L parson- he can do any of the fluff that's required by the buyer.

The best leather available is utilized and the stiching machine's are tuned for proper tension not to tear in the future. The hides are bought twice as thick as required then split so you get very firm leather on the inside.
Full time saddle maker for 40 years hintZ the ability to make good equipment.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Custom sheaths - 07/28/15
don't need, or want 'fluff' here......
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Custom sheaths - 07/28/15
Paul Long is the best there is. You can google his work.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Custom sheaths - 07/28/15
Jim Layton ...
Posted By: geedubya Re: Custom sheaths - 07/28/15
Originally Posted by huntsman22
don't need, or want 'fluff' here......

Opinions vary........

[Linked Image]

some Parsons.........

I like a little fluff now n' then,

Just sayin'

GWB
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Custom sheaths - 07/28/15
fluffer........grin
Posted By: geedubya Re: Custom sheaths - 07/28/15
fluffer........grin

[Linked Image]

I resemble that remark.

GWB
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Not hardly - he does one style. Layton and parson do everything. Only thing I've never saw either put liner's in they're sheaths. I'm figuring for a reason. Paul does nice stuff. The best that's a big word. Look at the way parson and Layton attach the belt loops. Tapeted round stiching. Paul makes a beatiful work of art.
On a hunting tool the holster is more important than the cutting tool!! Much like a scope on a gun. Jim Layton does every single step by hand he's way up in years. Only machine he uses is a drill press. Lots of horse hide utilized with 0 fluff. I had many many of both. Layton is a good friend that being said he will do exactly what he wants and input is unwanted or needed. He makes for who he wants when he wants and I'm lucky he will deal with me. Both these guys are of the best of the best. If you want either to jump thru hoops your better to deal with other guy's
Originally Posted by rickmenefee

Not hardly - he does one style. Layton and parson do everything. Only thing I've never saw either put liner's in they're sheaths. I'm figuring for a reason. Paul does nice stuff. The best that's a big word. Look at the way parson and Layton attach the belt loops. Tapeted round stiching. Paul makes a beatiful work of art.
On a hunting tool the holster is more important than the cutting tool!! Much like a scope on a gun. Jim Layton does every single step by hand he's way up in years. Only machine he uses is a drill press. Lots of horse hide utilized with 0 fluff. I had many many of both. Layton is a good friend that being said he will do exactly what he wants and input is unwanted or needed. He makes for who he wants when he wants and I'm lucky he will deal with me. Both these guys are of the best of the best. If you want either to jump thru hoops your better to deal with other guy's

Everybody has the right to their own opinions. I particularly like Mr.Long's work because it lends it'self to the large Bowies I both like and make. Paul is also a heck of a nice guy. I met him only through bladeforums and he PM'd me offering help along with his personal number. He then graciously spent several hours over several days explaining certain techniques to me just to be a blessing and a help.
Originally Posted by geedubya
fluffer........grin

[Linked Image]

I resemble that remark.

GWB

Now that's my idea of a hunting stand.
Posted By: secretsquirrel Re: Custom sheaths - 07/28/15
Paul Long for me.

[Linked Image]

Everybody has the right to their own opinions. I particularly like Mr.Long's work because it lends it'self to the large Bowies I both like and make. Paul is also a heck of a nice guy. I met him only through bladeforums and he PM'd me offering help along with his personal number. He then graciously spent several hours over several days explaining certain techniques to me just to be a blessing and a help.
No argument from me. Why Geezus made different women.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Custom sheaths - 07/28/15
Hummm... "Why Geezus made different women." Thats brilliant, gonna try it on the old lady this weekend! Maybe I can have two? smile
Posted By: Sakohunter264 Re: Custom sheaths - 07/28/15
Okay. One more...my secret. Dave's work is impeccable.
He also makes a really incredible knife.
http://www.horsewrightclothing.com

Posted By: Steelhead Re: Custom sheaths - 07/28/15
I ain't much of a pony rider but I've done enough to know I ain't carrying a sheath knife.
Posted By: SLM Re: Custom sheaths - 07/28/15
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
Okay. One more...my secret. Dave's work is impeccable.
He also makes a really incredible knife.
http://www.horsewrightclothing.com

+1, really like his pancake sheath.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Custom sheaths - 07/29/15
Larry Parsons is quite the leather guy. He has made me several of his pancake, tilted sheaths for some of my smaller EDC fixed blades.
Another standout sheath maker is our member 757, Doug Maas. He is not on much, so I contact him through Michiganroadkill.
Doug has made some simply outstanding sheaths. Danglers for my large chopper, sheaths for my Osceola Companion 6 inch blades, and a number for smaller knives. He makes dandy cross draw sheaths.
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Custom sheaths - 07/31/15
I have ALL of the above, and a metric fook ton more. For a using vs a jacking off on cuz it's soooo purty sheath...Kenny Rowe is STILL the man:

Rowe Leather
Posted By: VinceM Re: Custom sheaths - 08/01/15
Larry Parsons

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rickmenefee Re: Custom sheaths - 08/03/15
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i472.photobucket.com/al...e/2006-10-24224829_zps92ede863.jpg[/img]
Posted By: rickmenefee Re: Custom sheaths - 08/03/15
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Custom sheaths - 08/03/15
Very nice work,

the kydex stands out to me, always have liked synthetic handles / sheaths
Posted By: troutfisher13111 Re: Custom sheaths - 08/05/15
I ended up going with an old standby, RLO Sheaths by Rick Lowe. It's for my new David Winston #43

[Linked Image]
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Custom sheaths - 08/05/15
[Linked Image]

Beaver tail?
Posted By: rickmenefee Re: Custom sheaths - 08/05/15
[Linked Image]

Beaver tail?

10/4
Posted By: Chootem_Again Re: Custom sheaths - 08/06/15
Healthy discussion guys. Like Rick, I try my best to refrain from using the word "Best". It looks like there are a number of top shelf sheath makers out there.Just like knife making, sheath making is an art form in itself. I've had a few sheaths that were supplied with 2nd class sheaths that I considered to be dangerous. I have quite a few from Mr.Parsons. Some fancy and some not so fancy, but all are safe and extremely well made. I also have a number of Jim Layton's sheaths. None are fancy, but all are extremely well made, safe, and all stitched 100% by hand. IMO, if you choose to carry a thinly ground razor sharp knife, don't cut corners on the sheath for safety reasons. Phil Wilson attemped to holster a sharp fillet knife into a wet leather sheath a few years ago and cut himself badly. Phil only offers Kydex these days. I doubt that this accident would have occurred with a Parsons or Layton sheath. My thanks to all of you that posted pictures of some very nice sheaths for all of us to see.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Custom sheaths - 08/06/15
When ordering a "custom" sheath/pouch is it necessary to send the maker the knife?
Posted By: carbon12 Re: Custom sheaths - 08/06/15
[Linked Image]

Great visual texture.

Curious. How wear-resistant is beaver tail leather? Or is beaver tail leather mostly used as a facade over another leather?
Posted By: MOGC Re: Custom sheaths - 08/06/15
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
When ordering a "custom" sheath/pouch is it necessary to send the maker the knife?

Yes...
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Custom sheaths - 08/06/15
beaver tail is tuff schit....
Posted By: troutfisher13111 Re: Custom sheaths - 08/10/15
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Custom sheaths - 08/10/15
That's a sweet combo there!
Posted By: Reba Re: Custom sheaths - 08/10/15
What the heck do you guys do with all the knives?
Posted By: MOGC Re: Custom sheaths - 08/10/15
Originally Posted by troutfisher13111
[Linked Image]

Looks great!
Posted By: MOGC Re: Custom sheaths - 08/10/15
Originally Posted by Reba

Use them... I enjoy using my blades in the field on game, in the kitchen and working around the home. I'm not a collector and all mine go to work.
Posted By: troutfisher13111 Re: Custom sheaths - 08/10/15
Thanks gentlemen.

I use mine to, mostly as hunting knives. As soon as I feel I won't use a knife, it gets posted for sale. No use keeping something valuable if it's just gonna sit around.
Posted By: add Re: Custom sheaths - 08/10/15
Originally Posted by Reba

Think you accidentally stumbled into the wrong forum. laugh
© 24hourcampfire