Home
Posted By: Bullwhacker S30V and Blue Lacewood - 05/23/16
A new pattern I've been working on. Feels like it will be in my pack come elk season.

Details:
9" OAL
62RC S30V Flat Grind, Satin Finish, with File Work
416 SS Bolsters and Pins
Stabilized Dyed Lacewood Scales with Yellow Liners
Hand Carved 8-9 oz Leather Sheath
[Linked Image]
Posted By: antlers Re: S30V and Blue Lacewood - 05/23/16
Nice work. Really like that blade shape too.
Nice knife. Are you a lefty?
Posted By: Bullwhacker Re: S30V and Blue Lacewood - 05/23/16
Thanks for the compliments!

No I am not a lefty but I do carry my rifle over my right shoulder. The constant clicking of my rifle stock hitting my knife as I hike is the reason I do a left hip sheath for myself. Truth be told I rarely hunt with my knife on my belt anymore. Most the time it is tucked away in my pack until it is needed. I assume that is why you asked.

Thanks again for the compliments.
Posted By: BobWills Re: S30V and Blue Lacewood - 05/24/16
WOW!!! Now THAT is a knife. Good, usable design and first rate build quality from first class materials. Kudos to you sir.

Bushwhacker:
The constant clicking of my rifle stock hitting my knife as I hike is the reason I do a left hip sheath for myself. Truth be told I rarely hunt with my knife on my belt anymore. Most the time it is tucked away in my pack until it is needed.

I also kept my knife and cleaver in my pack when I hunted out west. Too old to do that any more though, but still don't carry my knife on my belt. All skinning, gutting and butchering is done at camp now. I envy those still able to climb mountains and hunt. You are really going to look good using that knife and good luck to you on your hunts.
Looks like an elk reducer to me. Nice.
Blue????

I must have spent toooo much time in the jungles, swamps and on the mountain tops. I would not be without an easy access working knife (belt, fixed) when out and about, plus something in the pocket, plus small back up in the pack.

A small hidden necker and a small three blade folder will suffice when in a public setting.
Tim
Posted By: Dan308 Re: S30V and Blue Lacewood - 05/24/16
super nice, cool bolster
Posted By: Elkhunter49 Re: S30V and Blue Lacewood - 05/25/16
I'm a lefty so the sheath caught my eye as well. Great looking pair, well done sir!
Posted By: geedubya Re: S30V and Blue Lacewood - 05/25/16
Mighty fine work on both the knife and sheath.

Question for ya'? Why 62Rc rather than 59 or 60?

Best,

GWB
Posted By: Bullwhacker Re: S30V and Blue Lacewood - 05/25/16
Good question. The hardness was chosen based on my anticipated use. This knife as a hunting knife will be primarily for gutting, skinning and cutting meat. Edge retention is more important to me then toughness in this application. I also have found that S30V can take considerable abuse at 62 RC without edge chipping. Chopping and prying are typically the tasks that destroy a high RC knife and neither should be done with a dedicated hunting knife if avoidable. That's why I also make survival knives and camp knives.
© 24hourcampfire